Am Very Nervous

I am doing the Silverstone circuit in a little under 2 weeks and I am very nervous (huge understatment by the way !).

I have been reading on the forum for a couple of weeks now and it seems that bikers are going to improve their skills for Track Days ... i just want to know how to go round a corner faster and safely; I have never done any track days and have been deristriceted just over 6 months and i didnt get out a lot before that ! i have done a bit more riding over the past 6-8 months but not a lot at all. My fella bought me this for a christmas present as he knows how nervous (and rubbish) i am at cornering at the moment.

I got all the kit i need think I just need reassurance that im not going to look like a complete berk and it is for people like me as well as more experienced riders ?

I am doing the Silverstone circuit in a little under 2 weeks and I am very nervous (huge understatment by the way !).

I have been reading on the forum for a couple of weeks now and it seems that bikers are going to improve their skills for Track Days ... i just want to know how to go round a corner faster and safely; I have never done any track days and have been deristriceted just over 6 months and i didnt get out a lot before that ! i have done a bit more riding over the past 6-8 months but not a lot at all. My fella bought me this for a christmas present as he knows how nervous (and rubbish) i am at cornering at the moment.

I got all the kit i need think I just need reassurance that im not going to look like a complete berk and it is for people like me as well as more experienced riders ?

I had never been on a track before when I did level 1. and it was intimidating at first. But everytime you go out they will have you working on different exercises so if you concentrate on the drills you can forget about the other riders. Once you get past that initial sensation of being overwhelmed you'll have fun and be anxious to do it again. Have fun.

I would think most people will be nervous to one degree or another, i am sure i will be on the day. I have been riding 26 years and have done a handfull of track days. I am certain the coaches will ensure you enjoy yourself and improve accordingly. I wish my girlfriend had bought me the course.. hmmmm maybe a xmas pressie for next year!

I had never been on a track before when I did level 1. and it was intimidating at first. But everytime you go out they will have you working on different exercises so if you concentrate on the drills you can forget about the other riders. Once you get past that initial sensation of being overwhelmed you'll have fun and be anxious to do it again. Have fun.

Check out this link. Your concerns are pretty universal for riders who have yet to venture onto a track but you could not be in better company that the California Superbike School for your initiation IMHO.

Kevin Kane

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=738

Good advice from the others already. Most level 1 students its their first time on track. Some will have done track days, some might have even raced, but each is coached individually. Best thing for you to do is just work with your assigned on-track coach, and pretty much ignore the others. By that I mean ride your own bike, don't move over for faster riders, just go where you think you should. That's way safer too. 98% of the other riders are happy to have you there, so don't worry about them. Once in a great while you get a jerk that complains, but none of the top guys will, they know what it's like and what you will be going through.

Andy is the head of the UK school and a great bloke, and Johnny is his Chief Riding Coach. Go and say hi to them in the morning, let 'em know you are a little nervous (everyone else will be too, but it's OK to say it), and they'll look after you very well.

Best,

Cobie

First - prepare for the greastest drug ever created. the down side is you won't be able to get it off your mind after you've been out there on the track at speed. It has turned me in to a total junkie.

Second - trust the school. Keith and his gang run a tight ship, it's like clock work and nothing gets screwed up. Just follow your coach's coaching and not only will you be safe as houses you'll go faster than you can imagine.

oh - drink water and take the supplements.

most of all - enjoy what is absolutely a great present.

Hi There,

I will bet that every Level One student who is going to be on your day will be nervous too! Don't worry, we understand this and we have done our very best to ensure that you will be in a group of similar levelled riders. We have 2 groups of Level One students on that day so we are able to make the level within each group similar.

We only use a track as it gives you, the student, a high number of corners in a controlled environment. We are not a Track Day operator and the rules we have on the schools are there to make your learning quicker, easier and comfortable. Our rules are strictly enforced to ensure this.

Looking forward to seeing you at Sivlerstone!

All the best

Andy Ibbott

School Director

(Europe, Middle East, South Africa)

Thanks for all the advice guys :o} I am looking forward to it and from waht i have read my cornering is going to be much better (couldnt be much worse like !)

I will post when i have done the day and let you know how it all goes.

Am going to the BSB the day after so will be yelling at them which line to take !!

Thanks for all the advice guys :o} I am looking forward to it and from waht i have read my cornering is going to be much better (couldnt be much worse like !)

I will post when i have done the day and let you know how it all goes.

Am going to the BSB the day after so will be yelling at them which line to take !!

Well, then you can give us a review aftering doing both (hope it doesn't get too confusing :))

Cobie

Advice is cheap -- that's why I'm willing to offer it. :) Seriously, all of us are nervous at times -- the key is to not let the nervousness stop you. You'll be glad later.

Paul

I did Lvl 1 at a track I have racked up hundreds of laps in a car and I was still a bit nervous. Prior to that I did 1 Track day on another bike.

I did it with a mate, she was nervous at first but had a ball! By the end of the first session she was jumping up and down.

If you get a chance, spend a day or 2 lapping up and down your favourite twisty road. This should make you feel more comfortable and relaxed with the bike which will give you a bit of confidence. This will settle some of the nerves

I get rusty when I havent ridden for a while, not to mention bike fit. I.e if I dont ride for a month I have to build speed back up

There will be faster and probably slower people on the day.