Tire Suggestions

I am coming up to Willow Springs on June 7, for Level I.

I am going to be gettign some Bridgestone BT-002 PRO race tires, and was wondering for that date and track, would I be better off going with MEDIUM (Type 3) tires, or SOFT (Type 4) tires?

Any suggestions?

I am coming up to Willow Springs on June 7, for Level I.

I am going to be gettign some Bridgestone BT-002 PRO race tires, and was wondering for that date and track, would I be better off going with MEDIUM (Type 3) tires, or SOFT (Type 4) tires?

Any suggestions?

I will be watching this with interest as I thought any road tyres would be fine for level 1.

Actually, I think that would be fine, I was just thinking if I could enhance the experience I would like to.

Some other people suggested that race tires wouldn't be worth it as a novice, and that the Pilot Power 2CTs would be better.

Suggestions?

Any quality brand tires will be fine. IE The school bikes are on Dunlop Qualifier tires, which are street tires and have more than enough grip.

Aside from "any quality brand tire" being "fine", do you think it is fair to characterize the Dunlop Qualifier as a "typical" street tire?

I've heard the Dunlop Qualifier described as a "dual usage" tire (for street and track), having more grip than a typical street tire. Even Dunlop describes them as having "race track-level grip and performance":

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/

@ DMX

I would buy a set of Dunlop Qualifiers from the school. If I recall correctly, you even get a nice discount as a student.

That said, if you choose to run the other brand race tire (which I wouldn't), then the medium compound would be more appropriate than the soft compound for Willow Springs in June.

Don't have much data on the Bridgestones. We do use the Qualifiers on the student bikes, and they are impressive. We normally get 4-5 days per set, depending on the track and the rider.

We do have a killer discount for students, both on the Qualifiers, and the newer Sportmax. $200 and $250 per set. Again, this is just for students that are registered, or just finished a school.

C