Lorenzo Highside

Hi all,

Did you all see Lorenzo's highside in practise? It looked very much to me like he turned in too quick though Keith says this shouldn't happen?

Any ideas?

I'd post a link to the video but it has been taken off all the video sites I know, not sure why.

Mike

Not at all. Classic highside. "Highside", by definition, is losing the rear and then suddenly hooking it up again such that the rear compresses really hard and then springs you off into the air when it unloads... which is exactly what happened to Lorenzo. He didn't steer too hard, he accelerated too hard.

Use the pause button on the slo-mo and watch closely.

Not at all. Classic highside. "Highside", by definition, is losing the rear and then suddenly hooking it up again such that the rear compresses really hard and then springs you off into the air when it unloads... which is exactly what happened to Lorenzo. He didn't steer too hard, he accelerated too hard.

I have a feeling they are setting up the suspension to rebound quickly so the wasn't much resistance from the shock. He obviously had that thing compressed deep into the suspension travel because there was a ton of energy returned in a burst!

Highsides won't happen from turning it in too quickly--it's the slide and then hooking back up part when it snaps back in line.

He didn't steer too hard, he accelerated too hard.

It was suggested in commentary by Julian Ryder after watching the slow-mo of the highside that it probably wasn't a bad input by Lorenzo so much as a technology glitch with his super-duper MotoGP traction control system, which should have limited the power at the back wheel to prevent it losing traction. It looked to Julian like he gave it a big fistful and the electronics popped out for lunch at just the wrong moment and delivered all the power to the back tyre.

With the unfortunate results under discussion...

I'll bet Lorenzo just loves his new traction control system...

He didn't steer too hard, he accelerated too hard.

It was suggested in commentary by Julian Ryder after watching the slow-mo of the highside that it probably wasn't a bad input by Lorenzo so much as a technology glitch with his super-duper MotoGP traction control system, which should have limited the power at the back wheel to prevent it losing traction. It looked to Julian like he gave it a big fistful and the electronics popped out for lunch at just the wrong moment and delivered all the power to the back tyre.

With the unfortunate results under discussion...

Haven't had a chance to see this, been on the road, but if it went to full power, wouldn't it just keep coming around?

I think failure of the traction control system would simply mean that "full power" became available, not that the throttle became stuck wide open. So, it failed to prevent the rear wheel from spinning up, but, it still hooked up when Lorenzo closed the throttle... if TC failure is in fact what happened.