Survey Question: Health/fitness Section

Here is the subject: do we make an area on the forum for fitness and health, specifically as it relates to riding?

Let me know what you think about this. There have been threads on training and hydration, but we haven't formalized it, and want to know if there would be value to having it up here.

I don't want to get too far off topic (riding :)).

But if we did get some useful information on training, hydration, how to prepare for school days, would this be useful?

Let me know what you think.

Best,

Cobie

PS--good time for lurkers to chime in, as I'd like to get a decent amount of responses on this.

Cobie;

This is a good topic to explore. As a multiple school student, day two of any School has been a real test of my own stamina. Something I thought was unique to me but as a multi-time worker in the garage with Will however, I saw that I was not alone, especially at every two day camp I have worked. If there are some training techniques we can utilize to better manage our energy, I'm all in on learnig them.

Rainman

OK, there is some interest, but not overwhelming, Maybe we can pin a few key threads.

I want to get some data up on hydration and electrolytes, we run into this as a not well understood area. I'll dig up some info, likely after the new year and see what you guys think.

CF

Cobie;

This is a good topic to explore. As a multiple school student, day two of any School has been a real test of my own stamina. Something I thought was unique to me but as a multi-time worker in the garage with Will however, I saw that I was not alone, especially at every two day camp I have worked. If there are some training techniques we can utilize to better manage our energy, I'm all in on learnig them.

Rainman

Completely agree. I did a lot of cardio and leg work this year and found myself MUCH better off at the end of each day, but still need to improve quite a bit. Nutrition plays a big role and I would love to know more about what to eat / drink prior to and during the schools, and WHY it is important.

Thanks Cobie!

Dan

Well, here is some news, and I'm pretty darn excited.

This area has been a minor hobby for me, as I need coaches that can last the whole day on a long, hot school day, and students suffer when they get dehyrated too...sometimes they don't even finish the day, they just get smoked. I think this is one of the biggest reason students suffer late in the day, particularly on hot days.

So, I just thought I'd swing by and see my favorite doc, see if he might be interested in helping out on our forum. I wanted him as he has a line of hydration supplements that is the best I've ever used. He's got more data and understanding on this hydration area that anyone else I know. Just found out he helped a triathlete knock 30 MINUTES of his best time, took him from being an almost guy to being on the podium. He just helped the guy with the hydration and electrolytes.

So there is my teaser for you, this is coming, and I'll look to get it started early in the new year!

Best,

Cobie

I've tried most things to avoid dehydration and cramps but the one solution which kind of worked were bananas; not 100% but defnitely helped a lot. We ride in Chennai, India where the school is being held in January. During the winter months it's tolerable but during peak summer in 40 degree C heat and insane humidity levels, the fittest find it difficult to carry on.

Looking forward to your posts on this topic.

I've seen a few topics on the subject of recovery, but no one seems to address or talk about what IMO is the larger part of the equation, preparation. When do you start hydrating for a event, the morning of ? the night prior ? In my experience if your urine isnt clear the night before a event, you've already lost

as to Cobie's original question, I don't think there is enough to warrant a entire section devoted to this subject but perhaps a section devoted to more general motorcycling discussion, there seems to be a fair amount of topics in the "Cornering" section that don't really fit into any of the sections but end up there by default, however I also realize there is a downside to having a general discussion section such as inviting topics on stuff best left to other boards

Tyler

OK, you have sold me on this, and I've got my doc geared up to start. I'll set up the section and see if we can get him to start posting next week.

Time for you guys to get your questions ready!