Survey Question:

Hi All,

One of the purposes of the forum is to get riders together that have questions/comments/observations, about riding--cornering moslty :)

So here's the survey question: what have you gotten from being on the forum? What subjects covered, advice given, new insights, technical points, riding tips, or simply a place to post your questions and have someone answer them politely (seems to be a pretty polite forum to me).

Let us know. Particularly if you don't post often (or at all), but you get some value from being up here, I'd like to hear.

Best,

Cobie Fair

Chief Riding Coach

Hi All,

One of the purposes of the forum is to get riders together that have questions/comments/observations, about riding--cornering moslty :)

So here's the survey question: what have you gotten from being on the forum? What subjects covered, advice given, new insights, technical points, riding tips, or simply a place to post your questions and have someone answer them politely (seems to be a pretty polite forum to me).

Let us know. Particularly if you don't post often (or at all), but you get some value from being up here, I'd like to hear.

Best,

Cobie Fair

Chief Riding Coach

I haven't posted much, but read almost everything. The greatest benefit for me has been as a newbie in the track scence to be able to see where I have been and where I can go with more work. I read posts from the new guys and remember what that was like and can see where I've progressed. Its also encouraging to know some of the answers to the questions being asked. Kind of an affirmation of what I have learned. And then to contrast that with the more advanced riders and discussions. I realize just how much room for growth there is . To be completely honest I skim through alot of the "physics" discussions, mostly because my riding isn't to the point where I need to be worried about that much detail. Overall, between the school and the forum, I feel like I have eased my way into track riding.

I've learnt a lot from other posters and always check in here when i go online. Some of the posts are a little technical for me, not that i cannot understand the theory but the fact they are discussed at the highest level and in all honesty do not apply to the average rider.. albeit it is worth thinking about.

I think the most useful thing is hearing from the coaches (mostly Cobie but others also) and other students experiences. I cant understand why the forum isn't busier.. maybe it could be pushed a little more at the school? I think that it is a massive opportunity to share knowledge and experiences.

I think its a polite forum too but thats good as we are all sharing the same interests, Its great that we can get the opinions and views of other like minded people worldwide, infact it is amazing! The regular posters have some interesting as sometimes funny discusions, always worth reading!

As having just done level 1 I also like how other css students and even instructors are happy to answer questions about anything anyone seems to be struggling with relating to what is taught at the school or their interpritaition of what is contained in the TOTW books, it can be very helpfull sometimes!

Keith's Corner is brilliant, I refer to that as much as I do to the books whenever I`m working on a specific area of my riding! (which is every time I go out on my bike)!

So much. I can't tell you how much I've dove into riding track, and how much this forum has helped. I have only gotten really bad info from the couple of "track pro's" I've asked questions, so I don't really go to them. I read, watch, and ask a couple people that I trust at the tracks for help.

I'm really studying body position, and reading these posts for the bulk of my information, and read so much between my last couple of trackdays that I thought my head was going to pop. I worked on it, and worked on it, and pushed to put everything together. I improved to the point that I am riding 1:10's around a track that I was riding 1:15 to 1:18's (pretty inconsistent for a 1.6 mile track).

There are SO MANY things that haven't been covered in any books I've read, or are vague and mentioned in a way that anyone not STUDYING the book will skip right by, that I am picking up on this forum.

Thank you guys for opening this forum. Whether I can get to the school or not, you've helped me tremendously.

Good answers. Some mentioned a few specific things, and that would be great to know---like which thread or subject did you find interesting/helpful? Anyone got a subject they would like covered that has not been?

• 4 weeks later...

I recently posted a warning and then reported a spam post in this thread that contained a link with embedded spyware. In the process of cleaning up the spam, admin apparently deleted not only my heads up to other members to not click on the spam link but also my (admittedly long-winded) on topic reply to Cobie's survey question. :(

Cobie,

Participating here on this forum has benefited me in many ways. I have attended a half-dozen schools at several different tracks over the years and have been studying my Twist bibles for over two decades. However, being able to discuss specific aspects of the material and curriculum with other members, "hearing" their unique perspectives, interpretations and personal experiences has been an invaluable resource for me. Whether firming up or fleshing out incomplete or merely intuitive understanding of some aspects, or introducing me to other aspects I've never considered, my time here consistently leads to a fuller, more complete understanding of all aspects of my riding.

In addition to helping me gain a better understanding of motorcycle theory and riding techniques, this forum has helped me to realize that, although much has changed since I retired from the field of battle, much has remained the same and I still have something to offer, something of value to give back to the sport that has given me so much.

And, through forcing myself to mentally organize my thoughts, memories and experiences and attempting to verbalize that, this forum provides a unique opportunity to develop and practice my communication skills through a subject I am passionate about with a broad audience who shares my passion in a genuine, open and egalitarian atmosphere. What writer could ever dream of or ask for more?

As for specfic threads or topics, I find them all valuable. Whether it is physics theory, machine set-up, some specific riding technique or simply the finer points of riding the Nurburgring, being here has reminded me that the game never ends and there is always more to do and to learn. (Not only about what is already known, but, maybe even about what isn't known... yet.) And how much there still is to do. How many new roads to ride. New technology to master. New riders to help or inspire. And perhaps, if I'm very lucky, to humbly contribute something to the bleeding ragged edge of the science and knowledge base of our ever evolving sport. Not merely for our benefit or to honor the work of those who laid the foundation, but, mostly for those yet to "discover the art". The future is so wide open. What a wonderful feeling.

My sincere and genuine thanks to CSS for hosting this forum and to all our members for your ongoing efforts, sharing your views, perspectives and, most importantly, your questions. That is where it all begins.

racer