Protection, Enough Or Not Enough?

bll1184

It seems that this topic doesn't get as much attention as it should. I am just wondering what type of protection does anyone use? Spine, chest, or does the armor in the leather jacket work well enough or if you wear a protective suit under the leathers. Just curious to how far to take it and what works and what doesn't. interested to know what anyone has to offer.

It seems that this topic doesn't get as much attention as it should. I am just wondering what type of protection does anyone use? Spine, chest, or does the armor in the leather jacket work well enough or if you wear a protective suit under the leathers. Just curious to how far to take it and what works and what doesn't. interested to know what anyone has to offer.

Good question/topic. We recently got some back protectors from Force Field, liked it so much I bought one and use it every time I ride. They also have a chest protector, that I haven't used yet. Let's see what the other guys are using/doing.

CF

I've grown accustomed to wearing my back protector. It's a PITA to wear in street gear though, but sometimes I still do.

I'm not sold on chest protectors. They would seem to not offer the freedom of movement I imagine would be required. Perhaps I'll feel different if I actually tried one.

I've grown accustomed to wearing my back protector. It's a PITA to wear in street gear though, but sometimes I still do.

I'm not sold on chest protectors. They would seem to not offer the freedom of movement I imagine would be required. Perhaps I'll feel different if I actually tried one.

JB--yeah, I haven't worn one either, but our new back protectors are so darn comfortable, supposedly award winning too.

With so much stacked against us, it helps to take whatever precautions you can to minimize getting seriously hurt in an accident. I had a compression fracture of 2 vertebrae....takes a long time to heal. Along with buying the best gear you can afford, you need to get your body in shape. Need to be strong and flexable. I'm working on it. I know I'm in no shape to bounce back quickly from any type of crash. I kinda half fell/jumped out of a deer stand this past Tuesday and am still feeling it.

I wear the Knox Aegis back protector and have the Knox chest protector (never used). Feels great and you barely know it's there as far as freedom of movement goes. Syed Custom Suit, Held Phantom gloves, Arai helmet, Sidi boots.

On the track I use a helmet, a good set of gloves, boots, back protector and a full leather suite. The suite has shoulder, elbow and knee armor. I usually wear an under armor shirt and some bike shorts (yeah not a pretty picture) under the suite. I have thought about a chest protector, but I can barely get my leathers zipped up as it is right now :)

On the street I have riding shoes (over the ankle), gloves, jacket with armor in the back, shoulders, and elbows. I usually ride in jeans and I have some over pants for when it gets cold that have armor in the knees and hips.

On the street I have some awesome Alpinestar gloves, Doc Martin boots, and a thick as heck Icon jacket. Armor everywhere. I occasionally go fill up the bike with just a helmet and gloves, but it's Saturday morning with no traffic, exactly one mile away.

On the track I have just about everything Dainese. The only thing that isn't Dainese are the boots. I had a pair of Nitro's that lasted about 3 years. $45 and it wasn't until I punched a peg through the sole that I got new ones.

I have a back protector, and the last time I lowsided was when I didn't have my back protector. Forgot it. Never even thought of a chest protector.

Riding my sportbike on the street, I wear what I wear on the track: Joe Rocket Highside 2-piece suit; Dainese back protector (out of my one piece Dainese suit) Sidi boots, Cortech Adrenalin gloves and Suomy helmet. Foolishly, when I street ride my restored Triumph Bonneville, I wear jeans, street boots, the Joe Rocket jacket and Suomy helmet. I just can't "suit up" for a 45 HP Vertical British Twin that I rode with an open faced helmet, cut off jeans and docksiders as a kid.

Kevin

Riding my sportbike on the street, I wear what I wear on the track: Joe Rocket Highside 2-piece suit; Dainese back protector (out of my one piece Dainese suit) Sidi boots, Cortech Adrenalin gloves and Suomy helmet. Foolishly, when I street ride my restored Triumph Bonneville, I wear jeans, street boots, the Joe Rocket jacket and Suomy helmet. I just can't "suit up" for a 45 HP Vertical British Twin that I rode with an open faced helmet, cut off jeans and docksiders as a kid.

Kevin

It's never the machine that'll bite ya, it's the idiots on the road

Q for you Kevin: Since you have both 1pc and 2pc, what influences your decision to wear either on a particular day? (considering you said you wear 2pc at the track)

I have a closet full!

Street: Sidi vertebra boots, Joe Rocket or Tecnic gloves, Arai RX7RR helmet, Joe Rocket Meteor pants over Jeans or shorts or under armour depending on temperature and where I'm headed. Very rarely in jeans anymore after seeing how little protection they actually offered when my Dad crashed a Buell on a test ride at Laguna World Superbike in 99. Jackets rotate between Aerostich Darien, Joe Rocket Alter Ego or Kawasaki Leather race jacket depending on conditions and planned ride. Touring usually the Darien but last August's 8500 km ride to Key West was the Alter Ego.

Race or trackday: Full one piece HJC race suit, back protector, same gloves and boots as street . I can't bring myself to purchase a new Arai everytime I might crash racing so I alternate between 2 HJC AC 12's.

Q for you Kevin: Since you have both 1pc and 2pc, what influences your decision to wear either on a particular day? (considering you said you wear 2pc at the track)

Jaybird;

For track days or cornerworking, I almost always choose the two piece. When I have raced, the one piece (Dainese) is preferable. I had the two piece suit separate in a low side during a practice session once ergo that decision; the one piece offers better protection overall IMHO. That said, the two piece is more flexible especially between sessions or days when it is very hot as it is easy to take off the jacket when off the track.

Kevin

I can't bring myself to purchase a new Arai everytime I might crash racing so I alternate between 2 HJC AC 12's.

Sleepr;

I crashed a couple times one weekend at Loudon and messed up my beautiful Bayliss' Philips Island helmet in both crashes. Friday's practice crash was a right hand low side where my head slapped down so hard that it bounced and hit again...then in the first race the next day a left hand lowside had my helmet bounce on the opposite side and continued to protect me as I slid across the pavement face first. Needless to say the helmet was trashed but it sits proudly on a shelf in my basement scars and all because without it's amazing ability to absorb punishment I wouldn't be posting tonight.

Kevin

Foolishly, when I street ride my restored Triumph Bonneville, I wear jeans, street boots, the Joe Rocket jacket and Suomy helmet. I just can't "suit up" for a 45 HP Vertical British Twin that I rode with an open faced helmet, cut off jeans and docksiders as a kid.

Kevin

My brother has, I think a '73, Bonne. He just got his hands on a Norton, and is going to start restoring it. Obviously he doesn't wear any protection. The only reason he HAS a helmet is because he was traveling through other states (he's in Texas) and some of them have laws.

expman-1pl.jpg

On the track: I wear a Joe Rocket GPX 2 piece because the torso is longer then the one piece, Oxtar boots, a Velocity Gear back protector, Teknic gloves and was wearing an Arai Qf-it saved my head. I now have a Bell Star.

On the street: I have been wearing my everything but my Joe Rocket pants from the suit. I also wear my Joe Rocket Blastic coat and pant in cooler weather.

Haven't done much street riding lately :(

Track: Full outer gear and back protector. I always wear a full under suit to. If it's warm, a Kushitani one piece vented liner. if cold, 2 piece long underwear, mock turtle neck on top. I comment on this as I find the full length gear better than shorts. Short sleeves or pants bind me up a little bit (particularly at elbows and knees) don't find it as easy or comfortable to move around on the bike.

C