Forum Format Question

Hotfoot

I have a forum question. This is posted in the wrong area, but I posted it in the "new user" area weeks ago and no one answered, so I'm putting it HERE where all the action is!

I have 2 PCs, and on one of them the forum displays as a sequential list of messages, so once I enter a topic I can just scroll down and read the posts one after the other. On the other PC, when I open a topic, I can only see the original post, then all replies appear in an outline format below, arranged in what I guess you'd call a multi-threaded format, arranged in chains of replies. On that PC, I have to click on the post I want to read to open it, then scroll down and click on the next one to open that, etc. I find that format much slower and harder to use; how can I change that? I have looked through lots of settings but just couldn't find it. Anybody know?

Hmm, I'm not sure why the forum would look different from one pc to another. It must be some setting in your browser as I assume you are using the same user name to login on each pc. Your user name on the forum should control all your personal preferences so they should be the same from one pc to the next.

Are you using the same browser?

I would check the browser settings...

Hmm, I'm not sure why the forum would look different from one pc to another. It must be some setting in your browser as I assume you are using the same user name to login on each pc. Your user name on the forum should control all your personal preferences so they should be the same from one pc to the next.

Are you using the same browser?

I would check the browser settings...

I imagine you will but let us know if this sorts it. If not, maybe Jaybird of KK will know what to suggest.

CF

Hotfoot and I talked about this, but it's now clearer what (ahem) Hotfoot is looking for.

There's a lo-fi and a "hi-fi" version of the forum. My Hi-fi is set to multi-threaded and I would also like to change the format of the forum to be like my other forums. I haven't found any other setting either.

Kevin?

Hotfoot and I talked about this, but it's now clearer what (ahem) Hotfoot is looking for.

There's a lo-fi and a "hi-fi" version of the forum. My Hi-fi is set to multi-threaded and I would also like to change the format of the forum to be like my other forums. I haven't found any other setting either.

Kevin?

I still haven't got this figured out, still looking for the answer. Per Stuman I checked my browser on both PCs - I am using Internet Explorer 7 on both of them, so don't think that's the problem, and it appears to me that all settings are the same on both computers. I don't notice any differences on any other sites. It is SO much nicer to be able to just scroll down and read the posts one after the other and not have to click back and forth to open each one. Since Jaybird sees it as multithreaded on his PC, now I'm wondering how many others see it that way and don't know it can be viewed differently.

Kevin, any ideas? Who else can I ask?

Kevin?

I still haven't got this figured out, still looking for the answer. Per Stuman I checked my browser on both PCs - I am using Internet Explorer 7 on both of them, so don't think that's the problem, and it appears to me that all settings are the same on both computers. I don't notice any differences on any other sites. It is SO much nicer to be able to just scroll down and read the posts one after the other and not have to click back and forth to open each one. Since Jaybird sees it as multithreaded on his PC, now I'm wondering how many others see it that way and don't know it can be viewed differently.

I have sent the request to the Forum's Web Master (really, there is one) as I was unaware of a "lo-fi" and "hi-fi" version. What I do when I check in is to click on "View New Posts" and they all line up accordingly. Now if there are multiple posts to a specific thread since I last logged on, then I see the most recent post first requiring that I scroll backward to find all of the new posts on that thread.

Kevin

Kevin?

I have sent the request to the Forum's Web Master (really, there is one) as I was unaware of a "lo-fi" and "hi-fi" version. What I do when I check in is to click on "View New Posts" and they all line up accordingly. Now if there are multiple posts to a specific thread since I last logged on, then I see the most recent post first requiring that I scroll backward to find al of the new posts on that thread.

Kevin

Michael will be able to answer this for sure. If he doesn't get back to us on this, I'll pester him.

CF

(consider me pestered)

1) There is a lofi version of the forum for search engines and mobile devices.

lofi - http://forums.superbikeschool.com/lofiversion/index.php/

hifi - http://forums.superbikeschool.com/

2) There is a profile option to change the way the threading happens.

Are we talking about 1 or 2?

(consider me pestered)

1) There is a lofi version of the forum for search engines and mobile devices.

lofi - http://forums.superbikeschool.com/lofiversion/index.php/

hifi - http://forums.superbikeschool.com/

2) There is a profile option to change the way the threading happens.

Are we talking about 1 or 2?

2 - I couldn't find a profile option to change it, and also if I use the same login, wouldn't the profile follow the login name, not the PC? On one PC I see within a topic a long list of posts that are all open and readable, but on the other I see only the first post then an outline of titles and have to click each one to open it to read it. This happens on both lo and hi fi version, BTW.

It is actually a threading option and not visible in the profile specifically. Clicking this link should resolve it. The preference is stored in your cookie.

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.ph...amp;mode=linear

If you ever get stumped again... add the &mode=linear after the topic number.

----

I also noticed that the OPTIONS drop-down isn't working. I need to update the forum skin to get that thing working again.

It is actually a threading option and not visible in the profile specifically. Clicking this link should resolve it. The preference is stored in your cookie.

----

I also noticed that the OPTIONS drop-down isn't working. I need to update the forum skin to get that thing working again.

Oh, WONDERFUL, this fixed it for me, THANK YOU, it is SO much faster and easier to navigate this way. Incidentally, this is somethig that just changed on me one day, I never changed any options to make it happen, not sure why it occurred.

Thanks for getting it straightened out, I really appreciate it.

----

Oh, WONDERFUL, this fixed it for me, THANK YOU, it is SO much faster and easier to navigate this way. Incidentally, this is somethig that just changed on me one day, I never changed any options to make it happen, not sure why it occurred.

Thanks for getting it straightened out, I really appreciate it.

Same for me, this totally handled it and I hadn't done anything to create it (that I know anyway).

• 1 month later...
I'm having the issue now on 2 of my machines.

When I click the link I get a video of Peter

When I add &mode=linear I don't get anything new

jb--shoot a note to the webmaster, CSS Admin. Sometimes if he's swamped it can take a little pestering, but he always gets to it.

Let me know.

CF