Body Positioning

Cobie Fair

Lately been working on the body positioning, on my own riding. We fix guys positions on the bike all the time, with the steering drill, lean bike, and all of Level 3.

The best set up for me personally would be Stomp Grip and rearsets, can really lock in with them, and if I were racing, that would be the way I would go.

Not possible on all our schools bikes, but we do have Tech Spec, helps for sure.

What I tried this last weekend at Vegas was a little more tension through my lower body, hips and legs (just a little)which supported me better on the bike, and overall took less work (my legs weren't worn out after 2 days on the track, first time in 2 months).

This may not fully describe it, I'm still playing with it, not 100% sure what I did yet.

The problem for me had been very short legs, long torso, hard to hang off and hold onto the bike with the legs only.

31 years later, still learning this stuff, what a hoot.

Do the instructors push each other? Could you get another instructor behind you to see what your changes have done for your riding?

And that's one thing I LOVE about track riding. Just like in medicine, you CAN'T learn everything. It's endless education and improvement.

spot on about riding a motorcycle being a never ending learning experience, every time I am on my bike I am working on something or other, lots of little things that will help with improving my riding, twist 2 is like a drill book for me, I pick something and concentrate my focus on it on a road ride at road speeds until it becomes 2nd nature to me, some things come easier than others e.g. pivot steering is quite uncomfortable for me and I focus on it alot, when I get it right I know it for sure but if I dont focus some attention on it I seem to forget to do it, hopefully I can practice it until it becomes natural! Unfortunately it is not very practical to work on body position on the road but I do try to get low on the bike and keep my upper body relaxed like I was taught at level 1, this alone has significantly raised my corner speed!

One thing I have learned is that when you get over a barrier in your riding there is always another one waiting!

I struggle with this. One thing that admittedly puzzles me was several recent comments on other threads about how where you look affects this. I was looking at the school curriculum and noticed that BP is focused on in level 3 and where you look in level 2 (I'm doing level 2 next) and this surprised me. My riding buddy was going to ask Santa for a helmet cam but I don't think that happened- I would think that would help a lot to see what you look like versus what you feel like.

I struggle with this. One thing that admittedly puzzles me was several recent comments on other threads about how where you look affects this. I was looking at the school curriculum and noticed that BP is focused on in level 3 and where you look in level 2 (I'm doing level 2 next) and this surprised me. My riding buddy was going to ask Santa for a helmet cam but I don't think that happened- I would think that would help a lot to see what you look like versus what you feel like.

A little clarification: at Level 2 is one of the biggest parts of the body position issue, done on the lean bike. Most every rider is not locking on to the bike correctly, and we get that sorted out on the lean bike (fabulous tool, fixes this issue like nothing else). And it usually takes about 10 minutes, it's very effiecient.

The rest of level 2 gets into (primarily) visual skills. These have to be in order, they are in a way the most critical of skills to be sharp with, more so than the body positioning items, and with some of the BP stuff we go over, it gets even more important.

Lately been working on the body positioning, on my own riding. We fix guys positions on the bike all the time, with the steering drill, lean bike, and all of Level 3.

The best set up for me personally would be Stomp Grip and rearsets, can really lock in with them, and if I were racing, that would be the way I would go.

Not possible on all our schools bikes, but we do have Tech Spec, helps for sure.

What I tried this last weekend at Vegas was a little more tension through my lower body, hips and legs (just a little)which supported me better on the bike, and overall took less work (my legs weren't worn out after 2 days on the track, first time in 2 months).

This may not fully describe it, I'm still playing with it, not 100% sure what I did yet.

The problem for me had been very short legs, long torso, hard to hang off and hold onto the bike with the legs only.

31 years later, still learning this stuff, what a hoot.

Cobie, I have short legs so I need all the help I can get. I have rear sets and stomp grip on my bike and I love the combo. Plus I have my rear sets adjusted all the way up, this gives me more ground clearance plus makes it easier to lock into the tank. I've also been doing tons of exercises to strenthen my middle core. It all seems to help. I'll be taking level 3 & 4 at Sears Point on March 16th & 17th. I'm hoping to get a lot of help on my body positioning.

Cobie, I have short legs so I need all the help I can get. I have rear sets and stomp grip on my bike and I love the combo. Plus I have my rear sets adjusted all the way up, this gives me more ground clearance plus makes it easier to lock into the tank. I've also been doing tons of exercises to strenthen my middle core. It all seems to help. I'll be taking level 3 & 4 at Sears Point on March 16th & 17th. I'm hoping to get a lot of help on my body positioning

Yeah, those items really help. Guys with longer legs I think have an advantage. Stuman and Will look like spikders on the bike.

Stu tried to help, but I couldn't understand computerese :lol:

C