Throttle Control Corrections

acebobby

This is something I have been thinking about recently, in an interview I saw with Colin Edwards he said that Rossi makes mistakes the same as any one else but where he really good is at quickly correcting his mistakes! So here is one mistake that I think might be quite a common one especially with racers.

If you enter a turn a bit to fast, maybe just passed someone on the brakes and you reach your desired lean angle but you know that by applying TC rule #1 immediately will run you wide at the exit! What do you do to recover this error?

Would you roll into the turn on a closed throttle or do you still crack the throttle then pause (hold it in that position) until you feel its safe to roll it on again?

This is something I have been thinking about recently, in an interview I saw with Colin Edwards he said that Rossi makes mistakes the same as any one else but where he really good is at quickly correcting his mistakes! So here is one mistake that I think might be quite a common one especially with racers.

If you enter a turn a bit to fast, maybe just passed someone on the brakes and you reach your desired lean angle but you know that by applying TC rule #1 immediately will run you wide at the exit! What do you do to recover this error?

Would you roll into the turn on a closed throttle or do you still crack the throttle then pause (hold it in that position) until you feel its safe to roll it on again?

If you pause on the throttle, what are the advantages of that (with this example of getting in too hot)?

CF

If you pause on the throttle, what are the advantages of that (with this example of getting in too hot)?

CF

I was thinking that maybe an SR of sorts would make you not want to touch the throttle at first but thought that if you at least cracked the throttle then paused it would stabilise the bike enough not to overload the front end,

If you're that far into a lean, would giving it throttle without picking the bike up, like when rolling out of a corner, be such a good idea? I would think that would increase the possibility of wrecking.

I normally lean more. I don't push that much, so when I go in too hot, I have plenty more to go. When at max lean, and I try to lean further, experiments have proven that I'm going to scrape the peg, lift the bike and go straight off. Straighten the bike up and REAR BRAKE!! REAR BRAKE!!

Difficult question to answer, how do you "know" that is you cracked on the gas and rolled on you would run wide?

Maybe you just think you would :)

This is a very good point stuman, thanks for pointing it out, when I think of it what may seem to fast to me could be and probably is to slow for someone else! hmm this one has got me thinking for sure!

If you're that far into a lean, would giving it throttle without picking the bike up, like when rolling out of a corner, be such a good idea? I would think that would increase the possibility of wrecking.

I normally lean more. I don't push that much, so when I go in too hot, I have plenty more to go. When at max lean, and I try to lean further, experiments have proven that I'm going to scrape the peg, lift the bike and go straight off. Straighten the bike up and REAR BRAKE!! REAR BRAKE!!

A few things we could talk about in this Hub, but one question first: why rear brake?

C

Because I shoot off the track.

Do you use any frtont in the dirt?

My first 2 off track excursions have demonstrated the degree of difficulty in proper application of front brake on grass. I've learned my lesson well enough that I can STOMP on the rear, get lightly on the front and get the bike pointed back to tarmac while clearing for traffic.

My first 2 off track excursions have demonstrated the degree of difficulty in proper application of front brake on grass. I've learned my lesson well enough that I can STOMP on the rear, get lightly on the front and get the bike pointed back to tarmac while clearing for traffic.

Makes sense. One thing not all try and do, is get into the front as much as possible before running off, can often scrub a lot of speed by doing that, then of course, let off the front when you get into the grass.

Makes sense. One thing not all try and do, is get into the front as much as possible before running off, can often scrub a lot of speed by doing that, then of course, let off the front when you get into the grass.

O yeah, forgot about that part.

I was told that the rear brake has only 2 purposes: Slowing if you get off track and passing tech :P

None what-so-ever. I know I could have a light touch on it, but when I was shooting toward a power line (WAY off the track) I couldn't say what I would have done if my hand was even barely on the brake and I started freaking out. I didn't, but just to be sure, I've taught myself to get off the front altogether during off track excursions.

I have had times when I'm off the track and go across asphalt when I do get back on the front brakes while I'm there, but then it's hands off again.

None what-so-ever. I know I could have a light touch on it, but when I was shooting toward a power line (WAY off the track) I couldn't say what I would have done if my hand was even barely on the brake and I started freaking out. I didn't, but just to be sure, I've taught myself to get off the front altogether during off track excursions.

I have had times when I'm off the track and go across asphalt when I do get back on the front brakes while I'm there, but then it's hands off again.

It was a few years ago, I was pretty sure Fogarty said the he uses only the front, even in the dirt. Maybe I recall that incorrectly, but...I think more front can be used in the dirt than most think.