Rear Set Adjustment

hey guys its been awhile since ive posted, but i had a question:

i am putting a set of vortex rears on my '06 636. im 5'8" but i have a 32in inseam. i know that it feels better when i put less weight on the bars and more on my feet but im unsure where i should place the pegs. setting them high and forward helps keep the weight on my feet but i feel a little compacted. pushing them back pinches the brake lines. i definitely want to set them higher because i was dragging my stock pegs.

any advise?

oh and this is for a race bike.

Got you covered here Michael, as I have just went through this with the girlfriend and some friends in helping them out with theirs. What we did was climb on the bike, with friends helping hold up the bike we would get into the position of leaning off the bike both ways and adjust them so that my feet and legs sat comfortable while I was in this position. Then we tightened them down. Now you might want to have your comfort while in another position but I just felt like that was where it was most important for me to be comfortable. Hope this helps you out.

Sometimes sitting on the bike in the pits is different than riding it, so don't be surprised if you have to play with it a little.

W/out knowing these in particular, I don't know the brake line problem you are having, Will might. But, I'd think there for ought to be a way to sort that out, no? Especially if you like them there.

CF

Sometimes sitting on the bike in the pits is different than riding it, so don't be surprised if you have to play with it a little.

W/out knowing these in particular, I don't know the brake line problem you are having, Will might. But, I'd think there for ought to be a way to sort that out, no? Especially if you like them there.

CF

Good point Cobie. I forgot to add that we did our adjustments during a track day in between sessions. This way we could get a feel for it during actual riding as most of the positions all felt good sitting still. lol It is not till you are riding that you find out if you like it.

• 1 month later...
much appreciated guys

I know the reservoir line issue you're speaking of as I had the same bike and rearsets. You're gonna have to trim that line if you want to get that right side as far up/back as possible. I'd start off by measuring where the stock rearset pegs are and then move up/back incrementally to find out what works best.

Like a noob, I set mine up as far up/back as possible for a whole year and couldn't understand why my legs were so beat at the end of trackdays. After adjusting them to a far less insance position, my legs couldn't be happier.

-r.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, first post here...figured I would bring back an existing thread on the same subject rather than start a new one. I've read a couple of threads that seem to have this same subject in mind and I'm trying to solve a similar issue myself. I just moved to Southern California from PHX, so to say that I'm finally able to do some real riding again is an understatement. I've been riding the past two weekends and I can't seem to get comfortable on my bike at all through corners.

I have woodcraft clip-ons and Gilles rearsets on the bike, and the only logical sense I can come up with is that one or the two are out of adjustment. I put the rearsets in the typical up and all the way back location, but I'm wondering if that's the right move for me? It feels like I'm putting WAY too much load on the bars and I can only guess that has to do with rearset position. I guess I'm just a little hazy on proper position for the bars and rearsets. I replaced the OEM stuff after a track crash so I didn't have much time to measure position and go from there.

I'm 5'11'' and the bike is a 2006 GSX-R1000, any input would be great.

Hey guys, first post here...figured I would bring back an existing thread on the same subject rather than start a new one. I've read a couple of threads that seem to have this same subject in mind and I'm trying to solve a similar issue myself. I just moved to Southern California from PHX, so to say that I'm finally able to do some real riding again is an understatement. I've been riding the past two weekends and I can't seem to get comfortable on my bike at all through corners.

I have woodcraft clip-ons and Gilles rearsets on the bike, and the only logical sense I can come up with is that one or the two are out of adjustment. I put the rearsets in the typical up and all the way back location, but I'm wondering if that's the right move for me? It feels like I'm putting WAY too much load on the bars and I can only guess that has to do with rearset position. I guess I'm just a little hazy on proper position for the bars and rearsets. I replaced the OEM stuff after a track crash so I didn't have much time to measure position and go from there.

PCP--hmmm...not sure hot to tackle this one over the forum. Since you are local, maybe you could swing by the office? Also, just for frame of reference, have you done any of the levels, so we could connect it to technique you had been exposed to?

CF

ps--I should be in all week, till we go to the track this weekend.

PCP--hmmm...not sure hot to tackle this one over the forum. Since you are local, maybe you could swing by the office? Also, just for frame of reference, have you done any of the levels, so we could connect it to technique you had been exposed to?

CF

ps--I should be in all week, till we go to the track this weekend.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I would be able to swing by most likely. No, unfortunately I have not done any of the levels yet but it is one of my goals to do as soon as possible. As far as what technique I've been exposed to it's mostly just reading, watching, and trying to apply as of right now, no formal instruction as of yet.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I would be able to swing by most likely. No, unfortunately I have not done any of the levels yet but it is one of my goals to do as soon as possible. As far as what technique I've been exposed to it's mostly just reading, watching, and trying to apply as of right now, no formal instruction as of yet.

OK--give me a heads up before you come, ideally, make sure I'm in.

CF

I don't have rearsets, but a post we had not too long ago keyed me in to setting them up. Wouldn't locking into the tank be the ideal setup for placement?

And I think I remember you, PCP. Were you on southwest rides or Devil Riders for a while? I thought I read about you moving. I recognize the Firebird pic you're using as an avatar.

I think this is a perfect case of form following function! Cobie and Jason mentioned technique and "locking in", setting it up with help from Cobie will probably facilitate both.

OK--give me a heads up before you come, ideally, make sure I'm in.

CF

Where are you located at?

I don't have rearsets, but a post we had not too long ago keyed me in to setting them up. Wouldn't locking into the tank be the ideal setup for placement?

And I think I remember you, PCP. Were you on southwest rides or Devil Riders for a while? I thought I read about you moving. I recognize the Firebird pic you're using as an avatar.

Yeah I think I was briefly on SW rides, and unfortunately rode with a few of the "Devil Riders" a time or two, but they were way too squidly for my tastes so that didn't last long. I'm on several different gsxr forums though, and yes that's a firebird pic, firebird main to be exact.

I have no idea and before I go out and buy a tonne of stuff I may not need can recommend someone in melb to give me heads up on bike set up please let me know

Cheers

Oz

CF, please forgive my ignorance, I just realized who you are. You're an instructor at the school. Now it all ads up. :P I just moved to San Diego and am still getting all setup down here looking for work, so it might be a little while before a trip up to LA is possible. But I will definitely touch basis with you ASAP and take you up on that offer.

CF, please forgive my ignorance, I just realized who you are. You're an instructor at the school. Now it all ads up. :P I just moved to San Diego and am still getting all setup down here looking for work, so it might be a little while before a trip up to LA is possible. But I will definitely touch basis with you ASAP and take you up on that offer.

No problemo, if you are up here sometime, let me know.

CF