Bored With Street

Hello all, new here ... only been riding about 3 yrs

And i'm already bored with street riding.

Thinking about doing a school but my big question is:

Since I've only got experience on a 40 hp Suzi gs 500, Am I crazy to think I could handle a 600cc sportbike, the kaw zx6 used at the school, well enough to learn even at the beginner level I ? ? ?

Even if I thought the suzi gs would be adequate (which i don't) I'd rather rent and just show up with my helmet without having to worry about bike prep/transport. Totally new to the track scene y'know.

What you think?

Since I've only got experience on a 40 hp Suzi gs 500, Am I crazy to think I could handle a 600cc sportbike, the kaw zx6 used at the school, well enough to learn even at the beginner level I ? ? ?

Even if I thought the suzi gs would be adequate (which i don't) I'd rather rent and just show up with my helmet without having to worry about bike prep/transport. Totally new to the track scene y'know.

What you think?

I think you'll be fine. They start out slow...4th gear no brakes...then work with your comfort level from there. You'll ride at your own pace and I think you'll love the 600. The biggest problem you'll probably have is getting back on the gs500 once you get teased by the 600.

Let us know how you make out.

People overstate the whole thing about engine size. It's going to have more power, but you'll be able to handle it just fine. My wife had never ridden a bike, and is deathly afraid of powerful bikes. She learned on my ZX6R with no problems. If you do track, you're going to be comfortable with it in just a few laps.

Track riding is the ultimate. You're going to love it. A school earlier on will benefit you because you won't learn bad habits that people like myself have already cemented in, and what you have learned can be corrected easily.

If you even might be serious about track riding you've found the perfect site. Welcome.

The biggest problem you'll probably have is getting back on the gs500 once you get teased by the 600.

Amen. The 500 will get around the track quick enough for a while, but the body position (BP) is a killer. I'm still trying to work out how to get good BP on my wife's EX 650 without changing to clip ons. Probably going to have to watch and talk to motard riders.

What you think?

Hi Baileys,

Welcome to the forum, good for posting right away.

As the others have mentioned, you will be just fine. The ZX's are great bikes, they do everything well, and if you just use a little common sense and get used to it, it will be great, you'll be grinning at the end.

Let us know if you have any questions about the school, and which one you get signed up for. If you don't already have them, the Twist of the Wrist books are great preperation for the schools (true, not just a shameless sales pitch--I got chewed out by a student for not recommending them).

Best,

Cobie

Welcome Baileys, glad to have you join us. I can't really add anything new that the others have not already said but you will have a blast and the learning pace will have you comfortable in just a few laps.

Thinking about doing a school...

Baileys;

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you been on a track yet? If not, you will probably find that your street boredom will rise exponentially after you do.

Have you decided which School location you are considering attending? Also, which tracks are available to you now?

Kevin

Thinking about doing a school...

Baileys;

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you been on a track yet? If not, you will probably find that your street boredom will rise exponentially after you do.

Have you decided which School location you are considering attending? Also, which tracks are available to you now?

Kevin

No track time at all, yet.

Closest is VIR but my work schedule dictates probably Barber in June - or I could make it a part of our summer vacation and do a school day(s) out West.

But VIR would be 1st choice in May.