Priority Of Bike Upgrades

Well don't keep us in suspense, ask away!

C

I'm putting this in a new thread. OK, my bike ('02 Honda CBR600 F4i) is completely stock, which doesn't bother me that much- I'm not wanting to spend lots of $ on it, I'd rather spend it on school and track days to make me a better rider because in the end I think that gives more bang (probably a bad word choice) for the buck.

What would you folks recommend as additions/corrections; this is my guess but if I'm missing something, say so:

- stomp grip?

- frame sliders?

- steering damper?

- rear sets?

- bike stands?

- suspension parts?

I have put Dunlop Qualifiers on it and I'm happy with those. I haven't done any suspension adjustments although I haven't had any problems that I've noticed either. I do ride street and track.

I think the one thing that made my bike (CBR600RR) faster, smoother and better handling was doing level 1 CSS!

I've had the bike for 3 years and since buying it new I have added the following

Stompgrip - this will be going on any bike I ever buy from now on!

Renthal medium compound grips!

GMG MOTO crash protectors - tested on both sides!

Dunlop Qulifiers tyres - beginning to like them!

a few poseur items

Pazzo adjustable levers!

Arrow exaust can!

PC3, custom mapped!

The first 3 items are necessities to me now, and the last 3 I could probably live without though I do really like the feel and the adjustablity of my Pazzo levers!

I would not bother with a steering damper unless the manufacturer installed one as standard!

C

I'm putting this in a new thread. OK, my bike ('02 Honda CBR600 F4i) is completely stock, which doesn't bother me that much- I'm not wanting to spend lots of $ on it, I'd rather spend it on school and track days to make me a better rider because in the end I think that gives more bang (probably a bad word choice) for the buck.

What would you folks recommend as additions/corrections; this is my guess but if I'm missing something, say so:

- stomp grip?

- frame sliders?

- steering damper?

- rear sets?

- bike stands?

- suspension parts?

I have put Dunlop Qualifiers on it and I'm happy with those. I haven't done any suspension adjustments although I haven't had any problems that I've noticed either. I do ride street and track.

STEVO-

I have the same make/model/year bike and love it. My first upgrade was a set of Vortex Frame Sliders. This was of course AFTER rashing up my OEM set :blink: (which I've repaired and still have). I now have all of the other things you mentioned but I did them to solve a particular problem.

I wouldn't recommend a damper for this bike. Typically, only stunters will need it on this model considering the OEM geometry and your Dunlop tires. Save the cash for now, unless you decide to race the machine (AFAIK most ORGs require a damper regardless).

If you were to upgrade anything on the bike I'd recommend suspension first, especially if you're anything over 145-155lbs. Here's a post I wrote when I got mine done: http://www.cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.p...ults+suspension

Of course, let's not underestimate the value of rider software upgrades too...afterall, this is the CSS forum :P

STEVO-

I have the same make/model/year bike and love it. My first upgrade was a set of Vortex Frame Sliders. This was of course AFTER rashing up my OEM set :blink: (which I've repaired and still have). I now have all of the other things you mentioned but I did them to solve a particular problem.

I wouldn't recommend a damper for this bike. Typically, only stunters will need it on this model considering the OEM geometry and your Dunlop tires. Save the cash for now, unless you decide to race the machine (AFAIK most ORGs require a damper regardless).

If you were to upgrade anything on the bike I'd recommend suspension first, especially if you're anything over 145-155lbs. Here's a post I wrote when I got mine done: http://www.cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.p...ults+suspension

Of course, let's not underestimate the value of rider software upgrades too...afterall, this is the CSS forum :P

I'm perfectly happy not to put on a steering damper; they're not cheap, and I'm not a stunter and if I ever race I would probably get a race bike and keep this one for track/street use. I've not had any apparent suspension issues but maybe I'm not pushing it enough yet, but I am 145lbs so maybe that helps as you say. I do agree rider upgrades are the most important, and if you get a new bike they're transferable! I think of the list, stomp grips would help riding and are pretty inexpensive. Frame sliders don't help riding but can help save money in some circumstances.

I do like the bike a lot. It's my first sport bike and it seems pretty friendly and versatile. JB, what color is your bike? I found mine used, it is a bright yellow which I think helps for street conspicuity.

STEVO-

I'm perfectly happy not to put on a steering damper; they're not cheap, and I'm not a stunter and if I ever race I would probably get a race bike and keep this one for track/street use. I've not had any apparent suspension issues but maybe I'm not pushing it enough yet, but I am 145lbs so maybe that helps as you say. I do agree rider upgrades are the most important, and if you get a new bike they're transferable! I think of the list, stomp grips would help riding and are pretty inexpensive. Frame sliders don't help riding but can help save money in some circumstances.

I do like the bike a lot. It's my first sport bike and it seems pretty friendly and versatile. JB, what color is your bike? I found mine used, it is a bright yellow which I think helps for street conspicuity.

My bike was yellow too. Last 2 years it's been Truck Bed Liner Flat Black. I've decided to metamorphosize it again. (Scrabble Double word score?)

BTW- Search the "other" forum for info on the 929/954 front master cylinder upgrade. I have the parts, just haven't installed yet.

If I had to recommend anything to start with, it would be:

Stomp grip/frame sliders- I've seen some pretty gnarly accidents that resulted in minor damage to the bike because of frame sliders alone. They're both relatively cheap, and stomp grip will give you more comfort to allow you to lean farther on the bike.

Rear sets- These can wait, as you will be able to get pretty fast with stock pegs. Thing is, they will also help protect the bike if you go down.

Bike stands/tire warmers- you can get pretty far before you need tire warmers. Problem is that in cooler mornings you will have to take it easy until it starts to warm up. Next time you come off the track, feel the tires and rims. Then go feel the tires and rims of a bike that has tire warmers before it even goes on the track. There is some hard braking and accelerating on my bike for a couple of laps before I can start getting over on it.

Suspension parts- I don't know if you have a fully adjustable suspension on your bike. I do, and I will just replace parts as the stock one's wear. You can get really fast with stock suspension, and replacing it is expensive. That's a lot of trackdays and schooling that would help more.

Steering Damper- I would say that you don't even need it on a 600, but my friend had to take his off the last trackday because his new fairings were rubbing on it, and he was lost. If you don't have one, you'll be alright without it.

I really had to think which I would prefer first between the rear sets and bike stands. I would probably go with the stands for the tire warmers because I'm comfortable with pegs. But what I've seen from other people at the track who don't go all out and get everything at once is rear sets, then the stands/warmers.

C

- stomp grip?

- frame sliders?

- steering damper?

- rear sets?

- bike stands?

- suspension parts?

Stomp grip is good stuff, would be high on my list for track riding.

Sliders can help save damage for sure.

Suspenion parts--you might be able to get your units serviced, way cheaper than going new. Catalyst Reaction, or GP Suspension can likely do that.

Rear sets--I have short legs, so they help me, but with the Stomp Grip, not as needed by far.

I'd do tire warmers if I was racing, otherwise not. They don't take long to warm up, unless it's very cold out.

Damper--if it's not shaking, likley won't need it.

Keep good tires on it. But if your technique is solid, you'll find out with lots of warning before they go off (that's the training plug, 'cause JB would expect me to say it :) )

CF

C

- stomp grip?

- frame sliders?

- steering damper?

- rear sets?

- bike stands?

- suspension parts?

Suspenion parts--you might be able to get your units serviced, way cheaper than going new. Catalyst Reaction, or GP Suspension can likely do that.

Rear sets--I have short legs, so they help me, but with the Stomp Grip, not as needed by far.

I'd do tire warmers if I was racing, otherwise not. They don't take long to warm up, unless it's very cold out.

Damper--if it's not shaking, likley won't need it.

Keep good tires on it. But if your technique is solid, you'll find out with lots of warning before they go off (that's the training plug, 'cause JB would expect me to say it :) )

CF

One thing about the suspension if/when you decide to upgrade:

The rear shock: you can put a spring on it, but good luck! The correct size is tough to find. Racetech used to carry them but don't anymore. Eibach also has sizing, but again good luck. As far as shock valving: you may as well pickup a used aftermarket.

Forks: Stock springs are progressive. Generally speaking progressive sprung forks are more difficult to setup correctly. The OEM setup was designed to accommodate a wide range of riders/ styles worldwide. Doesn't do much bad, but doesn't do much well either. As Cobie said, you can get the stock forks revalved/ resprung. Then you're in the ball park. My parts/ setup will probably last until my skill will allow me to outride it, and by then it will be time for a new bike.

That's it. I'm outty.

If I had to recommend anything to start with, it would be:

Stomp grip/frame sliders- I've seen some pretty gnarly accidents that resulted in minor damage to the bike because of frame sliders alone. They're both relatively cheap, and stomp grip will give you more comfort to allow you to lean farther on the bike.

Rear sets- These can wait, as you will be able to get pretty fast with stock pegs. Thing is, they will also help protect the bike if you go down.

Bike stands/tire warmers- you can get pretty far before you need tire warmers. Problem is that in cooler mornings you will have to take it easy until it starts to warm up. Next time you come off the track, feel the tires and rims. Then go feel the tires and rims of a bike that has tire warmers before it even goes on the track. There is some hard braking and accelerating on my bike for a couple of laps before I can start getting over on it.

Suspension parts- I don't know if you have a fully adjustable suspension on your bike. I do, and I will just replace parts as the stock one's wear. You can get really fast with stock suspension, and replacing it is expensive. That's a lot of trackdays and schooling that would help more.

Steering Damper- I would say that you don't even need it on a 600, but my friend had to take his off the last trackday because his new fairings were rubbing on it, and he was lost. If you don't have one, you'll be alright without it.

I really had to think which I would prefer first between the rear sets and bike stands. I would probably go with the stands for the tire warmers because I'm comfortable with pegs. But what I've seen from other people at the track who don't go all out and get everything at once is rear sets, then the stands/warmers.

I bought my stands cause I needed to do bike maintenance. Much easier to change a wheel when it's off the ground. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

OK, it's been a few weeks, but I bought the stomp grip pads and the frame sliders are in the mail. Before I go sticking on the stomp grip, I got to wondering about the shape. I bought them already cut out for my bike (02 CBR600F4i) but when I hold them up to the side of the tank, it appears the material will have to stretch some to conform. I wanted to ask before I get half way into installing them- does this stuff stretch, or do you have to make some cuts in it to shape it?

OK, it's been a few weeks, but I bought the stomp grip pads and the frame sliders are in the mail. Before I go sticking on the stomp grip, I got to wondering about the shape. I bought them already cut out for my bike (02 CBR600F4i) but when I hold them up to the side of the tank, it appears the material will have to stretch some to conform. I wanted to ask before I get half way into installing them- does this stuff stretch, or do you have to make some cuts in it to shape it?

No cuts req'd. The word "stomp grips" go on facing forward.

After smaller stuff like frame sliders and stomp grip I'd focus on tires, brake pads/lines and suspension. In that order. I will tell you though that a properly sorted out suspension can make a world of difference in your riding. Especially if you are a bigger guy (200+lbs).

-r.

I don't know if you have an adjustable suspension, but that would be really cheap, and costs $30 at Firebird to have done. I've learned to adjust the front myself, and have a great setup. I can really feel the difference when I set it back to street setup. I'm going to pay next time for the rear to get done, and see if they think my front is alright. I'm trying to learn about it, but there is so much.

I ride Pilot Powers, and think they're great. I'm going to try something else next time, but don't know if I'm advanced enough to know if another set will make a huge difference. If you can get some good times and lean angle with what you have, I'd stay with those until you need new ones.

I bought the precut stompgrip for my bike, and it fit like a glove.

I don't know if you have an adjustable suspension, but that would be really cheap, and costs $30 at Firebird to have done. I've learned to adjust the front myself, and have a great setup. I can really feel the difference when I set it back to street setup. I'm going to pay next time for the rear to get done, and see if they think my front is alright. I'm trying to learn about it, but there is so much.

I ride Pilot Powers, and think they're great. I'm going to try something else next time, but don't know if I'm advanced enough to know if another set will make a huge difference. If you can get some good times and lean angle with what you have, I'd stay with those until you need new ones.

I bought the precut stompgrip for my bike, and it fit like a glove.

If you change tires, you'll have to readjust your suspension to suit.

After smaller stuff like frame sliders and stomp grip I'd focus on tires, brake pads/lines and suspension. In that order. I will tell you though that a properly sorted out suspension can make a world of difference in your riding. Especially if you are a bigger guy (200+lbs).

-r.

My frame sliders and bar end pieces arrived today. I put the frame sliders on and they came out pretty nice (2" hole cut with hole saw is in the right place!). For some reason I had noticed my bar end on the left side was missing so I ordered some Vortex delrin parts. These did not really fit right and I had to make some, um, dimensional adjustments. I haven't done the stomp grips; to warm up the tank I wanted to let it sit in the sun but it has been cool so I may wait.

I did put Dunlop Qualifiers on, which are now 2 years old and have about 8000 miles. I have a new set sitting in the garage but there may be some life left in the current ones, so I may change them when I start track riding this year.

I need to at least measure the sag and get that set right. I'm guessing 30mm as a starting point. I watched Keith's video and it seems pretty straightforward. I don't know that I have a problem with suspension but I've never worked through it with anyone; I am not the bigger guy at 145lbs. I'm not sure who to trust and ask, as it seems there are more negative stories than positive ones.

What kind of help are you looking for on the suspension? Forks re-done, rear shock re sprung/valved, adjusting what you have?

What kind of help are you looking for on the suspension? Forks re-done, rear shock re sprung/valved, adjusting what you have?

Just adjusting what I have. I'm having no problems whatsoever- it may be just right for me as-is, or I'm not experienced enough to know it could be better or worse. I guess what I'd like to do is at least verify the settings I'm using are optimal to get the best performance from the hardware I have. I'm certainly not looking to spend money on something unless I really really have to! The weak link is still the rider, so my priority is school days and track days.

Just adjusting what I have. I'm having no problems whatsoever- it may be just right for me as-is, or I'm not experienced enough to know it could be better or worse. I guess what I'd like to do is at least verify the settings I'm using are optimal to get the best performance from the hardware I have. I'm certainly not looking to spend money on something unless I really really have to! The weak link is still the rider, so my priority is school days and track days.

Are you going to be anywhere we can have a look at the bike? I say "we" but I mean Will.

C

- stomp grip?

- frame sliders?

- steering damper?

- rear sets?

- bike stands?

- suspension parts?

IMHO Frame Sliders are a must.

The next thing I would would do is dial the suspension in. If you google it, there are a few articles on how to set sag with a couple friends and a tape measure.

From then on, I'm a big fan of spending most of the money on trackdays/school and good tires. If you find issues from then, address then as needed, but if you are not running into the limits of the stock suspension, brakes, etc, I wouldn't bother spending the money on them. The stock stuff on bikes today is probably better than the race equipment on bikes form not too long ago (well, maybe, but it's certainly good enough for most riders)

Are you going to be anywhere we can have a look at the bike? I say "we" but I mean Will.

I don't think so. My buddy and I were going to go to VIR and ride our bikes there on an extended trip in that region (but still use the school bike for the school day, in case we mess up we still have a ride home!) but he has a business trip that conflicts with that location and date. Still not sure which class I'm coming to yet.