Thinking Of Getting A Supermoto.......

Hi all,

I am considering getting rid of my SP2 (RC51) and getting a Supermoto. The reason being I fancy a change. I ride mostly on the road the SP2 is wasted really and it is really uncomfortable, chews tyres like crazy, drinks fuel...........It has 'character' though ;)

What I want to know is do the CSS techniques transfer to Supermoto's?

I appreciate two step, three step, wide view, countersteering will be applicable to all bikes, but what about Level 3 techniques?

From what I understand Level 3 is covers body position, I've done levels 1 & 2. On level 2 I didn't get to go on the lean bike, as it was raining (bloody UK weather :rolleyes: ).

I aim to book my Level 3 this year, but I don't know if I would be wasting my/the schools time if I turned up on a Supermoto? Of course I could always hire a school bike..........

In an ideal world I would be able to afford both bikes, but alas it is not possible.

Thanks

Good question. My wife has an EX 650, and it would require a change in position from what I do on my bike. More like a motard type position. If she rides track, I have no clue how to work with her on BP. I'd bet that if you were able to use your bike at the school they could work with you on it.

The UK guys ran some Super Moto schools, not sure if they are doing them any more.

It's going to be a little different than you're street bike. I'm going to ask Stuman, he does ride super moto (I haven't yet), he might be able to chime in on this.

CF

A lot of what you learn in level three can be used on a supermoto. However, riding supermoto is really a mix of street bike and dirt bike riding techniques and body position and stuff varies from corner to corner.

I have been riding a lot of Supermoto on my KX450 as of late and I used to ride a lot of motocross as well. I have found that on the SM I ride some corners roadrace style and some dirt bike style. Some tracks (like The Streets of Willow) I ride almost completely roadrace style and it is much faster. Other tracks like Adam's Go Kart track I ride almost completely dirt bike style.

I think you would be best to rent one of our bikes and learn the road race style in Level three. A lot of what you will learn can be used on your SM later, but I think it would be easier for you to learn the road race stuff on a road race bike and then adopt it to the SM later, then to try to adjust what we would be teaching you on the fly to the SM.

Know what I mean?

A lot of what you learn in level three can be used on a supermoto. However, riding supermoto is really a mix of street bike and dirt bike riding techniques and body position and stuff varies from corner to corner.

I have been riding a lot of Supermoto on my KX450 as of late and I used to ride a lot of motocross as well. I have found that on the SM I ride some corners roadrace style and some dirt bike style. Some tracks (like The Streets of Willow) I ride almost completely roadrace style and it is much faster. Other tracks like Adam's Go Kart track I ride almost completely dirt bike style.

I think you would be best to rent one of our bikes and learn the road race style in Level three. A lot of what you will learn can be used on your SM later, but I think it would be easier for you to learn the road race stuff on a road race bike and then adopt it to the SM later, then to try to adjust what we would be teaching you on the fly to the SM.

Know what I mean?

Thanks for replying. Yep I catch your drift. I've seen moto riders vary between knee down and leg out styles, I have never ridden one so I don't know how easy it is to lock onto the tank etc. Which is something that I believe is covered in level 3?

I think using the schools bike would be the best option.

I really would like to have the two bikes, the SP2 and a Supermoto, but I can't see that happening. In the UK the roads are so congested I feel more and more that a sportsbike is a waste on the road.

.... it is really uncomfortable, chews tyres like crazy,

Have you had a look at your suspension?

I had a fiddle with the settings, made it feel worse, so put back to standard and stepped away from the adjusters ;)

In the UK the roads are so congested I feel more and more that a sportsbike is a waste on the road.

That's Understandable

I had a fiddle with the settings, made it feel worse, so put back to standard and stepped away from the adjusters ;)

Understanding in this area goes a long way. Cheers.

I don't ride through Phoenix much, but my wife's EX650 would probably be lots more fun because of the torque. I ride through moderate traffic, and when I'm moving through traffic on her bike, I'm wishing for my ZX6R. But that low and midrange I don't have would be much more helpful in traffic that actually stops on the highway.