Accomodation And Transport For Thunderbolt Raceway August 10-13

Hi,

I've done levels 1 to 3 in Australia recently and would like to continue my learning in the USA in August this year. (I was planning this last year but distractions got in the way..)

I am wondering, what is the best way to get to the track area from the airport? Which international airport would be best - Newark or JFK? Is there a bus/coach/train service that gets me to the track area easily?

Would anyone be interested in hosting me while I attend the course? I am planning to arrive on Saturday the 8th and returning on Friday the 14th. I'll be happy to contribute towards the cost of my stay - I am more interested getting to know local people and the place :-) It will also be my first trip to the USA.

Otherwise can anyone suggest a hostel or similar type of accomodation near the Thunderbolt raceway?

Hey CSK, the way the coaches do it is fly into Philadelphia (airport code PHL), rent cars, and drive the appx. 1 hour trip southward to Millville, New Jersey. I'm not aware of a train that'll do it but there just might be one. I think you'll like the track once you get there! I know us coaches were pretty impressed with it. We just got off a week coaching there!

One other suggestion if you're looking for hosting is to contact the corner workers who most probably live nearby who will be working and riding the event. You can get information on corner workers and how to contact the lead corner worker here: http://www.cornerworkers.com/contact%20us.html

Good luck and I look forward to riding with you in August.

Kristi

Hi,

I've done levels 1 to 3 in Australia recently and would like to continue my learning in the USA in August this year. (I was planning this last year but distractions got in the way..)

I am wondering, what is the best way to get to the track area from the airport? Which international airport would be best - Newark or JFK? Is there a bus/coach/train service that gets me to the track area easily?

Would anyone be interested in hosting me while I attend the course? I am planning to arrive on Saturday the 8th and returning on Friday the 14th. I'll be happy to contribute towards the cost of my stay - I am more interested getting to know local people and the place :-) It will also be my first trip to the USA.

Otherwise can anyone suggest a hostel or similar type of accomodation near the Thunderbolt raceway?

First off....Welcome to the board!

There's other options as far as airports go which can change the cost of the ticket quite a bit. Every airport has different fees/taxes added in to the ticket price. Baltimore is slightly farther but usually the cheapest. Philadelphia is probably the closest but not the cheapest. Play around with different airports if your looking to save a few dollars. If I were you, I'd plan on renting a car. Any other form of transportation will end up just being a pain in your ass...especially with all your luggage/gear. If you want to do any sight seeing at all, the car will give you the freedom to do what you want when you want.

As far as lodging, Thunderbolt is located in Millville NJ. The track is nice, but the town is nothing special. There's inexpensive lodging, but you get what you pay for. The track is 80 miles from where I live in Pennsylvania so I really can't suggest anything in the area. Posting here is a good idea. Put the word out on any other forums that you follow. I'm sure you'll get some Jersey guys to chime in.

I'm thinking about the same dates so stay in touch. Have to see how my work/travel schedule works out.

Bob

Thanks heaps for the advice guys - totally appreciate it.

CSK,

How many days were you planning on attending CSS? What else were you planning on doing while you were here? If you can't find anyone to host you, you may be able to share a hotel room which will help keep costs down. I also agree that you should rent a car, especially on the days you're not going to be at CSS, and maybe hitch a ride for the days you are. This will help you save some money. Just make sure it's unlimited miles. I'm still contemplating attending it in August as well. This would be my first attendance at CSS. As you can tell I live in NYC. I'll keep you in mind if I do decide to attend.

Harry

CSK,

How many days were you planning on attending CSS? What else were you planning on doing while you were here? If you can't find anyone to host you, you may be able to share a hotel room which will help keep costs down. I also agree that you should rent a car, especially on the days you're not going to be at CSS, and maybe hitch a ride for the days you are. This will help you save some money. Just make sure it's unlimited miles. I'm still contemplating attending it in August as well. This would be my first attendance at CSS. As you can tell I live in NYC. I'll keep you in mind if I do decide to attend.

Harry

Hi Harry,

I am planning on doing all 4 days of CSS and the rest on getting to know that part of America. I've sent a message to CSS's Corner Workers via Cobie Fair so hope to hear from them soon-ish. Hope you do go coz the track looks nice. Thanks for the suggestions. icon1.gif

CSK,

It's good to hear you're traveling to Thunderbolt. It's a good facility combined with CSS it can't be beat.

I live in southern NJ in Ocean County. Let me give my input about getting there and staying.

It looks like NJ Transit has train service between Philadelphia, PA 30th ST Station and Atlantic City. It looks like they stop in Hammonton. Check the next link and see the map link there to see the line.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv...eAction=TrainTo

The town nearest the track is Hammonton. But it's still about 10 miles from the track.

So here's info on hotels.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Hammonton+n...lient=firefox-a

And you'll still need a rental car. I suggest using Enterprise, they'll deliver a car to you. Here is a link for car rental info.

As for airports, since I don't know from where you are flying, I'll say there is Philadelphia and Atlantic City. As Kristi suggested, there is Philadelphia, I'll add it's probably the most convenient. Newark is two plus hours to the north. Atlantic City International may not offer service for your origination point.

I hope this can help you as you make your plans.

MP

Great info, thanks for that Michael.

CSK,

It's good to hear you're traveling to Thunderbolt. It's a good facility combined with CSS it can't be beat.

I live in southern NJ in Ocean County. Let me give my input about getting there and staying.

It looks like NJ Transit has train service between Philadelphia, PA 30th ST Station and Atlantic City. It looks like they stop in Hammonton. Check the next link and see the map link there to see the line.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv...eAction=TrainTo

The town nearest the track is Hammonton. But it's still about 10 miles from the track.

So here's info on hotels.

And you'll still need a rental car. I suggest using Enterprise, they'll deliver a car to you. Here is a link for car rental info.

As for airports, since I don't know from where you are flying, I'll say there is Philadelphia and Atlantic City. As Kristi suggested, there is Philadelphia, I'll add it's probably the most convenient. Newark is two plus hours to the north. Atlantic City International may not offer service for your origination point.

I hope this can help you as you make your plans.

MP

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in guys - Whitney just signed me up!

See you at the track!

I'm in guys - Whitney just signed me up!

See you at the track!

Excellent, I think those schools are pretty close to full already.

CF

Yep I am in for all four days and Echo told me that is just about sold out. Bummer, I'm bringing three friends this time and they would love to do more than a day each. Early bird they say. Maybe we will need to travel to Vegas in the fall.

FYI, I usually stay in the suites on the front stretch of T-Bolt but will be in the RV this time for the week. It only sleeps four comfortably but if you need a place to crash it is a roof over your head.