Tires Section

Hi All,

Sound off on what you think of this:

Do we need a separate section on tires? The reason I ask this is we get many, many questions at every school about tires:

1. What pressure?

2. What pressure for road riding, cruisers, big bikes?

3. Correct temp? Different for street and race tires?

4. Tire warmers, should I/shouldn't I?

5. Heat cycles?

6. How many days can I get from my tires (or miles)?

7. Is there more rubber on the ground when I lean over, or when I'm upright?

Anyway, not going to get into all this just yet, basically I want to know if you guys think this warrants a sub section/sub forum.

Best,

Cobie

ps--this forum is for you guys, let us know what you think on this.

It'd be great to get the various tire reps to post information specific to their tires.

YES! This is a prime reason to go ahead with the section Cobie.

Yeh Cobie, I think it would be a great idea as my knowledge of tyres isnt really flash. Because they're the most important things between me and the tarmac i'd like to know more!!

Dylan

It sounds good, but how much will actually get posted? There are plenty of places for us to post it now. I'm all in, and will jump into any conversation that I know even a little about. If we could get some tire manufacturers in on it (as Greg posted), a rep from a few places who could check the site periodically, it would be fantastic.

I like the idea of a section dedicated to tyres, I'm a bit fanatical about them, I personally would think that the setup and handling section should cover tyres, but a while ago we were discussing the possibility of starting a section aimed at the products we use and how we rate them, would we recommend them etc!

This I think is still a good idea and I think that good discussions on tyres could be started in that section along with things like which leathers, what helmet, which rearsets etc do people use and recomend!

The problem with getting tyre reps to write on the forum is this, guess what tyres the dunlop guy is going to say is best, do you think the michelin guy and pirrelli guy will be of the same opinion?

All the tyre manufacturer's have a contact email address on there webpage, This is something I use regularly, at the moment I have dunlops and the service and information I receive from them is second to none, the guy at dunlop that I talk to says, see it as after service for purchasing our tyres, I now have a list of pressures from wet and cold to very hot and dry and the tyres I use aren't even top of the range performance tyres!

The problem with getting tyre reps to write on the forum is this, guess what tyres the dunlop guy is going to say is best, do you think the michelin guy and pirrelli guy will be of the same opinion?

All the tyre manufacturer's have a contact email address on there webpage, This is something I use regularly, at the moment I have dunlops and the service and information I receive from them is second to none, the guy at dunlop that I talk to says, see it as after service for purchasing our tyres, I now have a list of pressures from wet and cold to very hot and dry and the tyres I use aren't even top of the range performance tyres!

And that's the information I'd like to see posted. Data - objective stuff. Not objective stuff. I'd like to, for once, hear it from the real tire guys what a heat cycle is to them. Does that term vary from company to company. Recommended wamer timer. Recommended wamer temperature. Operating temperature range. Etc... Real data from the guys who should know it. Making something like that happen would bring a whole new wealth of information and resources to this board.

After you accomplish that, Cobie, start an oil section and get the oil guys to chime in. Then fuel, etc... :)

Hi All,

Sound off on what you think of this:

Do we need a separate section on tires? The reason I ask this is we get many, many questions at every school about tires:

1. What pressure?

2. What pressure for road riding, cruisers, big bikes?

3. Correct temp? Different for street and race tires?

4. Tire warmers, should I/shouldn't I?

5. Heat cycles?

6. How many days can I get from my tires (or miles)?

7. Is there more rubber on the ground when I lean over, or when I'm upright?

Anyway, not going to get into all this just yet, basically I want to know if you guys think this warrants a sub section/sub forum.

Best,

Cobie

ps--this forum is for you guys, let us know what you think on this.

OK, good feedback on this (let me know if others have any, or just if you think the same thing.

Also some good ideas on what to put in that section. I'm going to get with the webmaster, see what we can set up.

Best,

CF

• 2 weeks later...

Im for the idea! icon14.gificon14.gif Here's why:

1. I see a good, user friendly and up-to-date reference point comming out of this.
  2. Manufacturer websites I've tried, don't seem to list optimum temps, pressures and tyre feedback regarding track use. I've had to rely on magazine reviews and rider experience from other formus.
  3. and Im booked in to do the schooling. So I think having central location, like this forum, is good for people like me exploring set up options in preparation.

Thanks for the feedback on this, and if any others agree/disagree, please continue to chime in. I'm working to get the tires section brought in, let you know when we do (but it will also be pretty obvious I think).

CF