S1000 Shift Assit

To be honest, I hadn't used quick shifters much before this bike. Talked with some guys that have, and their opinion on the new shift assit on this S1000 is very good--have any of you guys used it yet, and how would you compare it to others if you have?

CF

I loved the quickshifter so much on the bmw that i am looking to install one on my 848. I hope it will work as well. Not sure yet what model I'll choose...

+1. I enjoy it on the S1000RR so much I may put one on my bike... it's sweet.

• 1 month later...

I test rode the FJR1300 with centrifugal clutch and electric-push-button shifting and absolutely LOVED it!

I have problems with my muscles and riding something like a Harley touring bike in traffic is absolutely out of the question. I also have doubts about being able to ride a normal bike on a track for even 15 minutes, especially if I have to use the clutch. Actually, unified braking with the rear pedal would probably help me too.

On the FJR, the shifting was effortless, seamless and instantaneous. I only slid the tires once while accelerating out of a corner and shifting. Normal bikers might have trouble with the centrifugal clutch, but I suspect CSS junkies will understand that the gas/engine-speed IS the clutch and adapt quickly. The FJR gives riders the option of using the push buttons or the foot shifter. I used the buttons--really more of a paddle--and thought that was fine. Other people might be more comfortable with the familiar foot shifter.

I'm very much looking forward to one day buying an FJR or perhaps the new VFR1200T.

• 1 month later...

Can we do clutchless downshifting with Shift Assist? As far as I know, racers don't use clutch when upshifting at high rpms.

I have a CBR1000RR with a BAZZAZ sytem (fuel mapping, traction control and quick shifter). I love the quick shifter. It is supposed to be used only for upshifting, you have to use the clutch for downshifting unless you want to time the downshifting with the RPM. Also the shifter works better with high RPM. I do not know about the BMW, but I figure it is the same. I will find out in August went I take my fisrt class and I get to ride the BMW.

My two cents.

Can we do clutchless downshifting with Shift Assist? As far as I know, racers don't use clutch when upshifting at high rpms.

I have a CBR1000RR with a BAZZAZ sytem (fuel mapping, traction control and quick shifter). I love the quick shifter. It is supposed to be used only for upshifting, you have to use the clutch for downshifting unless you want to time the downshifting with the RPM. Also the shifter works better with high RPM. I do not know about the BMW, but I figure it is the same. I will find out in August went I take my fisrt class and I get to ride the BMW.

My two cents.

Actually, my 2009 zx6r has no shift assist or quick shifter, nevertheless I can upshift with no clutch. So what will the quick shifter change?

My two cents.

Actually, my 2009 zx6r has no shift assist or quick shifter, nevertheless I can upshift with no clutch. So what will the quick shifter change?

Can you upshift with the throttle on at 7000 rpm or more?. If you read my two cents I explained that it works better with high RPM (throttle on).

My honda is set up to change gears without the clutch, but you have to let the throttle off to do that. The quick shifter saves you the time that it takes to let the throttle off and change gear. With the quick shift all you have to do is change gear, which means seconds gained on a track. By the way, I have been watching Moto GP, Superbike, AMA and so far they do use the quick shift, even though they use the clutch to downshift. If you see Lorenzo racing, he has a camera on the clutch side and you can see when he downshift. I guess, You do not know what the difference is until you try it on a bike with quick shift. Plus it is really cool when you change gear full throttle (9 to 10 thousand RPM's). It is a blast. Also when you change gear (throttle off) you lose speed. With the QS you don not, because you keep the same RPM

Regards.

My two cents.

A quick-shifter allows you to change gear in about 2 milli-seconds (2/1000 second), that's what it does - it cuts the ignition just enough to do the gear change. A "normal" clutchless shift requires you to slightly close and then reopen the throttle, to take the forces off the clutch gears (this takes maybe 50-100 milliseconds).

As discussed earlier at length, you can do clutchless up- and down-shifts without a quick-shifter.

Cheers,

Kai

I had a quickshift on a Gixer trackbike I had and loved it. I did quite a bit of research and had a HM one fitted to the R - which is a strain gauge one (rather than movement). I'll let the graph speak for itself - even though that's also with the PC fitted, you can see the difference

I've also got a John Hacket one on my SPS, which is a lot more sensitive, by I still tend to leave it on rather than off - it's like the paddles in the car - don't always use them, but nice that they're there :0)

web.jpg?ver=12718406270001

IMG_0050.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12718405890001

IMG_0059.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12724409230001

My two cents.

A quick-shifter allows you to change gear in about 2 milli-seconds (2/1000 second), that's what it does - it cuts the ignition just enough to do the gear change. A "normal" clutchless shift requires you to slightly close and then reopen the throttle, to take the forces off the clutch gears (this takes maybe 50-100 milliseconds).

As discussed earlier at length, you can do clutchless up- and down-shifts without a quick-shifter.

Cheers,

Kai

Try a bike with a quick shifter and then we talk. I know that I can do my upshift in my bike without a clutch. but there is a big difference

in speed and timing when I used mi quick shift. Also, there is a reason that the quick shifter was invented and at all levels of racing is been used.

Cheers to you too.

The razor.

Try a bike with a quick shifter and then we talk. I know that I can do my upshift in my bike without a clutch. but there is a big difference

in speed and timing when I used mi quick shift. Also, there is a reason that the quick shifter was invented and at all levels of racing is been used.

Cheers to you too.

The razor.

Hi Razor,

I'm probably dense today, but where exactly do you disagree with my post?

Best regards, Kai

Cheers to you too.

The razor.

Hi Razor,

I'm probably dense today, but where exactly do you disagree with my post?

Best regards, Kai

Hi Kai and Razor,

It sounds to me like you are both really saying the same thing, let me summarize see if I understand it as you mean it:

A bike can be shifted without the quick shift/shift assist, but it's not as fast as with it.

Do I have that correct?

Best,

Cobie

Hi Kai and Razor,

It sounds to me like you are both really saying the same thing, let me summarize see if I understand it as you mean it:

A bike can be shifted without the quick shift/shift assist, but it's not as fast as with it.

Do I have that correct?

Yes, absolutely correct.

Best regards,

Kai

• 2 weeks later...

I actually didn't realize the S1000Rr came with one from the factory until I did a clutchless upshift on that stretch in front of the pits at Willow Springs, Level 1. I did a bit of a wheelie.

I got a blue flag pointed at me for that. oops... :o

I must say I REALLY liked it on the BMW. It was so smooth...

Kelly