Suspension Tuning Dvd's And Books

I need to adjust the suspension on my Busa. I went through this section and saw that Dave Moss has some suspension theory and tuning DVD's which are highly rated. Are there any other suspension tuning DVD's and or books for sport, hyper-sport, and sport-touring bikes I should consider? Is there a "Suspension Tuning Bible" DVD or Book?

I need to adjust the suspension on my Busa. I went through this section and saw that Dave Moss has some suspension theory and tuning DVD's which are highly rated. Are there any other suspension tuning DVD's and or books for sport, hyper-sport, and sport-touring bikes I should consider? Is there a "Suspension Tuning Bible" DVD or Book?

There is a very technical book by Tony Foale, that might nor might not be exactly what you are looking for.

One of my guys has worked for Dave, that could be a good place to start.

There is a video on youtube where Keith explains the first part of the suspension tuning process, adjusting the spring sag. You might start there.

Best,

CF

There is a video on youtube where Keith explains the first part of the suspension tuning process, adjusting the spring sag.

Ohlins has online guides on how to set up and tune the suspension settings - basically all their manuals for the rear shocks contain a section on suspension setup.

http://www.ohlins.com/Checkpoint-Ohlins/Se.../Underrubrik_1/

As Cobie said, start with the preload and then work from there. The exact compression/rebound settings will depend on the road/track condisions, your riding style & weight, and even surface (track) temperature.

Regards,

Kai

• 1 month later...

I need to adjust the suspension on my Busa. I went through this section and saw that Dave Moss has some suspension theory and tuning DVD's which are highly rated.

I'm completely late on this but I have the Dave Moss DVD's. They're quite informative but some of it is hard to absorb. He explains a lot but somewhat assumes he's understood. But after watching them a few times, it starts to sink in.

Once sag is basically set, REALLY suspension tuning is more like suspension 'best of averages', 'close enough for rock & roll'....etc. Because as soon as it's 'set', temp changes thickens or thins oils changing it again, so it truly is an art of averages.

The three hardest things I find about suspension tuning :

1. Needing at least one helper to measure, or even two if you don't have expensive stands.

2. Never really knowing exactly where 'tuned' is, the stronger I ride, the suspension needs to change again.

3. Setup testing on the street is difficult to tell without being able to pull over into a pit and make a quick change. But I have done it. ;)

Here's a link to Andrew Trevitt's blog, it contains a link to his Suspension Tuning handbook. He is an editor of Sport Rider and was recently paralyzed while testing street tires by a cager u turning in front of him I believe. Good clear language.

Here's a link to Andrew Trevitt's blog, it contains a link to his Suspension Tuning handbook. He is an editor of Sport Rider and was recently paralyzed while testing street tires by a cager u turning in front of him I believe. Good clear language.

Could you try again? - I didn't find a link in that posting :-)

Cheers,

Kai

Could you try again? - I didn't find a link in that posting :-)

Cheers,

Kai

http://getwelltrev.blogspot.com ;)

What little preview I've seen of the book on the internet, it looks good.

I have Andrew Trevitt's book "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" Think of it as twist of the wrist for your bikes setup, it is for sure one of the best books I have. Then take notes of your settings, set your sag either for road or track, dont be scared to make changes, if a change you make feels horrible, or great, note it!

• 1 month later...

I tried reading the books, but wen a bit boss-eyed. Then someone recommended a local race-shop that had an Ohlins guru who spends 2 hours setting the bike up for you/your weight/your style/road or track. This costs £80. They also do an advanced one which includes road tests and debriefing for double that.

I had the cheaper one and immediately noticed a difference, and have not changed it since - for the cost, it might be worth going down that route.

I tried reading the books, but wen a bit boss-eyed. Then someone recommended a local race-shop that had an Ohlins guru who spends 2 hours setting the bike up for you/your weight/your style/road or track. This costs £80. They also do an advanced one which includes road tests and debriefing for double that.

The guys that do the setups Greg are for sure an option, especially to get a base setting, but understanding whats involved and you soon see that these guys are making easy money, and why not, there is a market after all! The bigger problem happens when your riding improves that setup might not really work so well for you, thing is you dont know what the bikes trying to tell you so you go back to your suspension dude give him another £80, he twiddle's some knobs then your happy again, this could end up getting expensive!

I read alot about suspension for a long time but my brain never really took in what I was reading, I knew the buzz words, thought I knew what changes did what for the bike, but it wasnt until I taught myself what happens inside the forks and shock that I really started to understand how things work, knowing exactly what happens inside when you move a few clicks one way or the other really helps me to understand that never ending search for the perfect setup!

I would encourage people to discuss their setups on here, some people like it so the bike feels loose and moves around underneath them, others like a secure feeling of the tyre being forced into the ground then there's about a million different preferences inbetween! Its a subject rarely spoken about in depth on forums though!

Bobby