The Cue-tee

The cue-tee AKA QT AKA Quickturn:

I've become a bit fuzzy on the technique a year after L2. In what way does the technique differ from normal turning technique?

In the standard turn, the rider usually needs to get control of speed (brakes), which changes the geometry of the bike. The rider then times the release of the brakes with the counter-steering input, rolls on the gas and the rest is elementary.

The QT is different. Is it only used in certain types of corners? Is there a roll-off? Are brakes used?

Yeo, Jaybird180,

Me too. I don't get it either, but maybe I'm getting it all mixed up with the Hook Turn.

I read this section over and over in "Twist II," but I didn't understand HOW to do a quick turn, j-turn, hook turn, or why I would want to. The lines in the diagrams make it look like this technique is: Riding straight, slamming the bike down, then standing the bike right back up, riding straight again while hoping the tires don't loose traction because you are COMMITTED. Does anyone really ride quickly or safely by pointing and shooting? Then there is that whole foot peg opposite handgrip thing. It just confuses me.

I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful. I just don't understand how all this is different from getting a good, solid body position then counter steering as quickly as necessary to make the turn.

Sincerely,

Crash106

Yeo, Jaybird180,

Me too. I don't get it either, but maybe I'm getting it all mixed up with the Hook Turn.

I read this section over and over in "Twist II," but I didn't understand HOW to do a quick turn, j-turn, hook turn, or why I would want to. The lines in the diagrams make it look like this technique is: Riding straight, slamming the bike down, then standing the bike right back up, riding straight again while hoping the tires don't loose traction because you are COMMITTED. Does anyone really ride quickly or safely by pointing and shooting? Then there is that whole foot peg opposite handgrip thing. It just confuses me.

I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful. I just don't understand how all this is different from getting a good, solid body position then counter steering as quickly as necessary to make the turn.

Sincerely,

Crash106

I will have a go at this one...

I have only done Level 1 and will be attending Level 2 and 3 in May, so if anything I have written here is wrong, please accept my apology, this is just my understanding of it... But I have read the books at least 30 times and watched the DVDs 4 times as well....

I think that the Quick Turn is using countersteering positively in order to achieve your desired lean angle quickly. So the opposite of a lazy turn where you lean slowly to your desired lean angle, the Quick turn will be like snapping the bike over by using a firm pressure on the handlbar to countersteer to your lean angle. This will be to initiate the turn at your turn point, normally at the beginning of a corner.

In order to reduce lean angle and time spent leaned over for a given corner you need to have a late turn point. If you use the same turn point and increase your speed, your line will be wider because of the increased speed (you will go wide at exit all other things remaining constant)

So, in order to use the SAME turn point for the SAME corner, but at a higher speed, and keep the SAME line, you must turn the bike quicker which will mean a harder push on the handlebar in order to lean the bike over quicker.

To do this efficiently, and keep rider input on the bars to a minimum apart from what is needed to turn the bike, you can use the outside footpeg to push off of, using the peg as your pivot point in order to use your entire body to countersteer the bike. Using your entire body will allow you to be able to put alot of bar pressure, which may be needed if you are going fast, as it takes alot of bar pressure to turn the bike at speed. This is what they call Pivot Steering in TOTW 2.

Hook Turn, on the other hand is a technique used to tighten your line without increasing lean angle, by leaning your upper body low and to the inside of the bike, in order to increase weight on front tyre effectively tightening the turn... This would be used if you are already rolling on and think that you are heading a bit wide... Hook Turn will be used to tighten the line a bit...

That is MY understanding of it.

I hope it is right...

I will have a go at this one...

I have only done Level 1 and will be attending Level 2 and 3 in May, so if anything I have written here is wrong, please accept my apology, this is just my understanding of it... But I have read the books at least 30 times and watched the DVDs 4 times as well....

I think that the Quick Turn is using countersteering positively in order to achieve your desired lean angle quickly. So the opposite of a lazy turn where you lean slowly to your desired lean angle, the Quick turn will be like snapping the bike over by using a firm pressure on the handlbar to countersteer to your lean angle. This will be to initiate the turn at your turn point, normally at the beginning of a corner.

In order to reduce lean angle and time spent leaned over for a given corner you need to have a late turn point. If you use the same turn point and increase your speed, your line will be wider because of the increased speed (you will go wide at exit all other things remaining constant)

So, in order to use the SAME turn point for the SAME corner, but at a higher speed, and keep the SAME line, you must turn the bike quicker which will mean a harder push on the handlebar in order to lean the bike over quicker.

To do this efficiently, and keep rider input on the bars to a minimum apart from what is needed to turn the bike, you can use the outside footpeg to push off of, using the peg as your pivot point in order to use your entire body to countersteer the bike. Using your entire body will allow you to be able to put alot of bar pressure, which may be needed if you are going fast, as it takes alot of bar pressure to turn the bike at speed. This is what they call Pivot Steering in TOTW 2.

Hook Turn, on the other hand is a technique used to tighten your line without increasing lean angle, by leaning your upper body low and to the inside of the bike, in order to increase weight on front tyre effectively tightening the turn... This would be used if you are already rolling on and think that you are heading a bit wide... Hook Turn will be used to tighten the line a bit...

That is MY understanding of it.

I hope it is right...

CBRK;

I think you did a pretty good job with this one!

Rainman

This is what they call Pivot Steering in TOTW 2.

This part of Twist 2 was huge for me, never really thought about counter supporting counter steering. It REALLY creates a sense of added stability and support IMO. Just never really crossed my mind that the opposite peg being 'pushed' could give so much. I'll slalom down the road on occasion just get a stronger feel for it. I have to admit, there has been a couple times where I got a little dyslexic on a couple sequential corners trying to apply it. :rolleyes: