Whose Riding Do You, Did You Like, And Where Are They Now?

I was just thinking about John, and hadn't heard what he was up to, anyone know what he's doing? He was pretty impressive racing 250's here in the US, and then when he went to Europe the first year and won the world title.

Great question.

I noticed something interesting watching American Superbikes. It was a race with Josh Hayes in the lead, sliding the bike into every corner, powering out with the rear end getting loose and the front end popping up on the straights. I'm thinking. "No way could I do that! I'd be scared to death." One bike length behind Josh Hayes was Tommy Hayden. Tommy was going through the same corners, at the same speed, but his braking was smooth with hardly a wiggle from the back tire. He was right with Josh in the corners, but without the drama and excitement of sliding the bike, and Tommy's front tire was almost always on the ground. I'm thinking, "That's how I want to ride!" As of this writing, they are running one and two in the standings with Tommy Gun 1 point ahead. So I guess both styles work pretty well.

If everybody needs a hero to emulate, Tommy Hayden is mine.

Freddie Spencer is the one I remember best. I don't think anybody else have ever shown the same level of natural talent. He wasn't strong mentally, apparently, and suffered badly when his confidence went away.

But I don't think anybody else could jump off the plain, jet-lag and everything, travel to a track he'd never seen before and proceed to set a new lap record before he'd done five laps.

Spencer used to run a school, but I don't think he still do so? He does some commentary on ESPN or sum'fin like that, I believe.

All exceptional riders for sure. I think I already wrote my King Kenny story somewhere up here, but how about Wayne? That guy could turn the bike so aggressively, really impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Doug Chandler. Not only is he a really nice guy, but I really admire his riding style. He is so smoooth it's just silly. They don't call him Doctor Smooth for nothing.

I believe he has a riding school these days here in CA.

Dare I say it, Max Biaggi has impressed me of late.

He's always been smooth, but he's got that Aprillia sorted and is doing the business!

Was interesting to watch the different styles between him and Jonny Rea at the last WSB round.

Both won a race, but Rea didn't have the finesse of Biaggi, in either race 1 or 2.

What a cool thread!

Doohan will always be the rider I respect the most. Others may arguably be better riders than he was, most have a better riding style :)... but Doohan's mental game made himself look like an insurmountable opponent on track after the departure of the old gang.

Even when the newer riders got close (Barros/Criville) they always seemed to only be able to run close to him... rarely dominate him... a sign that he was setting the ultimate benchmark.

Then when they finally did get close, he'd do their head in by swapping to technology that would hurt lessor riders (screamer engines v's bigbang), so they had to play catchup again.

Not just a rider, he was a racer.

Dare I say it, Max Biaggi has impressed me of late.

He's always been smooth, but he's got that Aprillia sorted and is doing the business!

Was interesting to watch the different styles between him and Jonny Rea at the last WSB round.

Both won a race, but Rea didn't have the finesse of Biaggi, in either race 1 or 2.

I read somewhere that Rea didn't need a throttle, he just needed a switch for ON and OFF biggrin.gif His teammate, Neukirchner, OTOH, is smoother - and as a result cannot make the Honda work for him. At least that's the gossip.

It would be great to see Biaggi take another title with Aprilia, 16 years since their firts!

Mad Max is really looking good this year, no doubt. Rea can be outstanding too, impressive at times, very.