How Can I Shift Less?

I hope to attend CSS in 2011--almost certainly at VIR. One of my concerns is with the shifting. I've had trouble with my left hand (carpal tunnel syndrome) and besides that, my muscles fatigue easily--especially when I'm excited (darned genetics). At home, my solution is a 650 maxi-scooter with an automatic transmission (three power modes by the way). With all the power the S1000RR makes, would it be possible to use the clutch but skip gears, or will the electric shifting allow me click up and down through the gears without using my hands at all? Thanks.

I hope to attend CSS in 2011--almost certainly at VIR. One of my concerns is with the shifting. I've had trouble with my left hand (carpal tunnel syndrome) and besides that, my muscles fatigue easily--especially when I'm excited (darned genetics). At home, my solution is a 650 maxi-scooter with an automatic transmission (three power modes by the way). With all the power the S1000RR makes, would it be possible to use the clutch but skip gears, or will the electric shifting allow me click up and down through the gears without using my hands at all? Thanks.

Crash;

IIRC, You are limited to using only 3rd & 4th gears in the first three sessions of the five rotations at a regular school (2-day camp usually has 6 or 7 sessions) so your shifting will be limited anyway. By the last session you will be permitted to use all gears and full brakes but depending on the track you can get by with only two gears anyway because that S1000R has such broad power and torque bands that you won't need to shift if you choose not to.

Rainman

I'm curious, have you tried clutchless shifting? I have trouble downshifting clutchless (smoothly anyway), but I've noticed many on here are able to do it. Obviously the clutch is necessary for taking off, but past that, using that technique, you shouldn't need to use your left hand for anything other than steering (which technically you don't need either...everything can be done with the right if really necessary B) ).

Just my $0.02

IIRC, You are limited to using only 3rd & 4th gears in the first three sessions of the five rotations at a regular school (2-day camp usually has 6 or 7 sessions) so your shifting will be limited anyway.

When I had Level 1 & 2 , the first session was using the "one gear, no brakes", while the second & third sessions we were allowed to use two gears.

But Rainman's point still stands: your shifting will be limited during the day. IIRC, I only used 3rd/4th gear all day on my R1.

Kai

Crash,

You may want to apply lubricant to the clutch cable links and see whether it will help reducing the force for activating clutch.

Best may be as Bubba and others have suggested- use clutchless shifting. Try to ask any coach at school or Cobie if he is available to help or demo how. You may like it when you find out how smooth shifting can be even at lean when not using clutch- though should have avoided shifting at this moment.

Hey Crash,

The electronic shifting on the BMW S1000RR is excellent! You will not need to pull in the clutch upshifting, however, Keith stated that you will when downshifting. So if you'll be switching from 3rd / 4th, you'll be using it half the time (downshifting).

Hope this helps!

Harry

Hi Crash,

There is another thread on this (shifting) somewhere. The other's have covered it pretty well, I'll only add that clutchless up and downshifting can be learned and done smoothely. I use the clutch to take off and that's about it.

It's easy to practice the upshift, just roll off for a moment.

Best,

CF