Ouch! It Hurts To Laugh, Cough, Sneeze

Hi All,

Went to the WERA Grand National Finals a couple of weeks ago and crashed. I have a broken collarbone and four broken ribs, five if you count the one I broke in two places. Didn't go to the hospital as I was lucky to have an orthopedic surgeon friend with me at the track. In lew of flowers please send cash and pharmaceuticals!

Hi All,

Went to the WERA Grand National Finals a couple of weeks ago and crashed. I have a broken collarbone and four broken ribs, five if you count the one I broke in two places. Didn't go to the hospital as I was lucky to have an orthopedic surgeon friend with me at the track. In lew of flowers please send cash and pharmaceuticals!

Sorry wrong column " Student Success Stories " My bad.

Mate, you kept that quiet. I'm sorry to hear you're unwell/banged up, I hope you're starting to feel a little better? What happened mate? Highside? Get tagged?

Am really gutted for you. Hope it's not an end to the racing?

Bullet

Ouch fossil, not the proper way to start a racing career now is it?

You guys got all the "interesting" painkillers, so I wont even try to send you some of ours.

How many ribs did the track break, and how many did the wife break when she found out you've crashed? :D

Speedy recovery!

Kai

Mate, you kept that quiet. I'm sorry to hear you're unwell/banged up, I hope you're starting to feel a little better? What happened mate? Highside? Get tagged?

Am really gutted for you. Hope it's not an end to the racing?

Bullet

Not an end to racing my friend. And thanks for the nice thoughts from you guys. It was all my fault. I changed the type of brakes, rotors and pads because of brake failure at Road A in June. I had just finished racing at Barber in September and pulled in some respectable places in Formula 1 and Senior Superbike with these brakes. Road A has a fast on camber right hander that almost immediately goes into a slow right hander for the back straight. I was doing about 100 into the corner and tried to get just a little more out of the throttle before I applied brake for the tight right hander. I had about 75 percent to play with on the brakes but I don't think I had enough weight transfered to the front when I squeezed a little to much brake and down I went, low side. I was driven into the pavement. I knew I broke something the minute I hit.

I don't feel good right now but never once thought about not riding anymore. I did think about racing mini's! LOL! But since this is a riding forum from a purely technical stand point, I was not balanced or smooth at this particular instance. I had been behind a slower rider and tried to get to much back at once. My mind set was not right. I should have been thinking SMOOOOOOTH and I wasn't.

That's why I don't race the Ducati Bullet! I will have the CBR1000RR ready for next season. I made a deal with my wife. I promised that I wouldn't break anything next year. I think we are going to stick with the Bridgestone National Endurance Series next year. If my friends will let me ride on the team!

I think I am healing? It is hard to tell with all the stuff going on when I move. My wife says I am very lucky. Another couple of inches and I could have been sucking out of a chest tube.

A note about the brakes: I went from stock brakes, stock pads, stock master cylinder to Galfer Wave Rotors(the best they make), Vesrah pads and Brembo master cylinder. I had much better equipment than I was used to and so the margin for error was much less. Maybe to much change to quickly? I do not blame the brakes and the feel on the back straight from 170 to 70 was awesome. The rider was the weak link here.

Ouch fossil, not the proper way to start a racing career now is it?

You guys got all the "interesting" painkillers, so I wont even try to send you some of ours.

How many ribs did the track break, and how many did the wife break when she found out you've crashed? :D

Speedy recovery!

Kai

OXYCODONE is good! OXYCODONE is good! OXYCODONE is good!

Bummer, Fossil. Sorry to hear you are injured and uncomfortable. Sounds like your attitude is good, which is either admirable or a sign of heavy medication. :)

I bet you're bored, let me know when you can laugh and I'll send you a bunch of redneck jokes or something. I hope you aren't stuck at home watching Oprah. If you are, get a Kindle (or an iPad!), they are awesome, an endless supply of books, instantly available.

Bummer, Fossil. Sorry to hear you are injured and uncomfortable. Sounds like your attitude is good, which is either admirable or a sign of heavy medication. :)

I bet you're bored, let me know when you can laugh and I'll send you a bunch of redneck jokes or something. I hope you aren't stuck at home watching Oprah. If you are, get a Kindle (or an iPad!), they are awesome, an endless supply of books, instantly available.

Thanks Hotfoot...I'm ok and just finished "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" from Audible.com. I haven't been home except on weekends. I went back to work on the Monday after it happened. Just goes to show I don't do much at the office! Let me know what you have been up to..

Yeo Fossil, If it hurts to crash, I suggest you not do that any more. :) Glutamine is a food supplement that sometimes helps people heal faster--although, it's not much of a pain killer. I know it will take awhile, but I hope you feel better soon.

Get well soon, friend!

I hope you heal 100% physically and mentally, though your attitude towards riding Im sure you will be back stronger and faster than ever before!

Take it easy!

Bobby