Beginner Question

Y4C4

Hello everyone!

I've just signed up here and would like to get some good advice. About 4 months ago i bought my first "big" bike which is 09 zx6r. I've read alot of things about cornering including Twist of the wrist but lately i've got a feeling that i,m going backwards. Is it because i'm thinking about too many things when approaching th turn(counter stering , lean angle , hanging off the bike , keepping my weight on the oposit footpeg , looking into the turn). maybe i should concentrate on one thing at the moment and when i'm confident with it move on to the next one , if that's the case which one of those is most important for a beginner? Or maybe i should get different bike because someone told me lately that supersports and superbikes are not good for learners because of the body position. Any advice would be appreciated:)

Hello everyone!

I've just signed up here and would like to get some good advice. About 4 months ago i bought my first "big" bike which is 09 zx6r. I've read alot of things about cornering including Twist of the wrist but lately i've got a feeling that i,m going backwards. Is it because i'm thinking about too many things when approaching th turn(counter stering , lean angle , hanging off the bike , keepping my weight on the oposit footpeg , looking into the turn). maybe i should concentrate on one thing at the moment and when i'm confident with it move on to the next one , if that's the case which one of those is most important for a beginner? Or maybe i should get different bike because someone told me lately that supersports and superbikes are not good for learners because of the body position. Any advice would be appreciated:)

Y4C4. Welcome to the forum. Regarding your question(s). I think you are trying to do too much at once. You should concentrate in one technique at a time, then start adding as you progress. You can follow the TOW instructions as they are written. Remember, when we start learning how to walk we start one step at a time. Better yet, Why don't you take the classes at CSS. Believe me it is worth the money and the time.

Good luck to you and hope I am able to help you a little bit.

Hello everyone!

Y4C4,

Welcome to the forum.

"the razor" said it. Do one thing at a time. The best is to follow the Twist book, or even better the Twist II DVD. I recently had someone follow the DVD one step at a time and practice each until the noticed a nice improvement. Also, if I did have to choose one thing to work on (with a newer rider) it would be steering.

Cheers,

Hello everyone!

Good questions, and that you noticed all what you were working on. The guys have given some good feedback already, one at at time is one of the things we do at the school. The Twist books and DVD's have lots of great info, but trying to work on them all at once would be a lot for anyone! Have a look at the material and pick one thing, work on that, then move on. Following the sequence in the books/DVD's would be an excellent way to do it.

Let us know what you do!

Best,

Cobie

One thing I was doing even before the school was putting a piece of tape on the top of the tank and writing what I was working on. While I'm waiting to go out, look at the tape. When I'm warming up and have a second, look at the tape. It really works. I think I even did it at the school. But when I got to the school they helped us focus on one thing at a time. We got the class on it, had to repeat what we were doing before we went out there and there was even a guy who made us repeat what we were working on while we were going out onto the track.

I still do the tape to this day (I have a strip of adhesive I can't even get off anymore) and have even started saying aloud what I'm working on before going out.

I'm really glad you figured this out. I've tried getting a couple of people I've helped to do this, and they think it's going to take too long, so we get off the track and they have a question about BP, braking, shifting, everything but the things that are primarily important to improving. Good on ya.

Hi   Y4C4 

Are you road riding or track riding, or both?

Anyway I recomend starting by learning what all the survival reactions are, and why they happen, then look at what drills would help overcome the SRs you think are effect you most. Your bikes fine so dont worry what others say, you have the advantage of being a new rider so bad habbits can be avoided!

Try this, learn what throttle control rule #1 is, go out a ride and focus on only that and staying relaxed on the bike and see how you get on, and dont try to ride fast, anyone can make a bike go fast in a straight line!

Bobby

Hello everyone!

Hello Y4C4,

There are so many areas for improving cornering and are difficult to fix all at once. As yourself have pointed out, it is easier to solve one at a time. You can develop some basic but important cornering habits when riding upright, such as smooth, continuing steadily throttling or braking, not as a on-off switch. Riding with relaxed arm and with Wide view (no target-fixation)etc. Now when you start the counter steering as first drill in cornering, you may have taken care of 2 or 3 problems without even noticing them. If your arm is not relaxed during counter steering, it will be easier to fix because you can relax but now it is a SR that you need to remember to overcome. Superbike allows you to lock with both legs during riding/braking when upright or one leg with cornering, so that you can relax your arms which is good too. To me, able to quick turn with wide view is the most important skill; but to do this, you will need good 2-step skill too. Reading books alone needs careful understanding. The best advice is still some CSS school time if you can ASAP.

Road riding only atm but i'm planning to start doing some track days and go to CSS as soon as winter is over. I'm always trying to lock my legs on the tank so i think that my arms are fairly relaxed most of the time:) I will try to improve my counter steering and throttle control for now and see how it goes:) Thanks for your help.