Can You Recommend A Good Tire Pump?

Hello All,

All I want to do is set my tire pressure, but on my bike, I have such a hard time even reaching my valve stems. Then, when I get the hose in there, the chuck or tip won't lock up tight. My front tires is still low. My back tire has, maybe 25# and it's supposed to have 41#, but I just can't get a tight enough seal to fill the darned thing all the way up! It's very frustrating.

How do you fill your tires? I'm thinking a hand pump or foot pump made for bicycle tires might work. Something that "locks" or clips in place and has a tire pressure gauge build in. Or, is there a different chuck that a "real" tires store or motorcycle shop might have out in the garage? I hate that uncertain feeling when my tires are off. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Best wishes,

Crash

Hello All,

All I want to do is set my tire pressure, but on my bike, I have such a hard time even reaching my valve stems. Then, when I get the hose in there, the chuck or tip won't lock up tight. My front tires is still low. My back tire has, maybe 25# and it's supposed to have 41#, but I just can't get a tight enough seal to fill the darned thing all the way up! It's very frustrating.

How do you fill your tires? I'm thinking a hand pump or foot pump made for bicycle tires might work. Something that "locks" or clips in place and has a tire pressure gauge build in. Or, is there a different chuck that a "real" tires store or motorcycle shop might have out in the garage? I hate that uncertain feeling when my tires are off. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Best wishes,

Crash

I use a bicycle pump "Joe Blow" which as you pointed out has a lock in place device. it is used more at the track where I want to carefully regulate tire pressures by a few psi. Car cigarette lighter type pumps also have the locking tip.

I just use a straw, bubble gum, and a good set of lungs!!!

I dont really just an old foot pump and a good pressure gauge cause thats the bit that matters

Crash they do have bent valve stems for easy access

post-15771-129056514242_thumb.jpg

Hello All,

Best wishes,

Crash

I bought a cheap electric pump at an auto parts store (Pep Boys, if you have those near you), I think it was about $20. It plugs into the wall, has a nice gauge on it and has the clamp-type valve attachment, like a bicycle pump, so it locks onto the valve stem easily and can be removed rapidly without losing a lot of air. It plugs into the wall, so it's not good at the track where you usually don't have power. It's slow but that actually makes it easier to get the pressure right on a bike tire. It could fill a car tire, too, in a pinch, but it would take a while! I'll see if I can find the brand and model for you.

Hey Crash,

Did you say you put 41 PSI in your tires? Likely way too high...we have some other threads on this, but short version is most modern radials run a lot lower than that (unless loaded to the max, 2 people, etc.).

You will just reduce your potential traction running it too high.

Best,

CF

• 3 months later...

Hey Crash,

Did you say you put 41 PSI in your tires? Likely way too high...we have some other threads on this, but short version is most modern radials run a lot lower than that (unless loaded to the max, 2 people, etc.).

Best,

CF

Would this work? Not sure what kind of amps it pulls.

http://www.pashnit.com/product/cyclepump.html

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Crash,

Best,

CF

Cobie, what do you suggest for street pressures on a hypersport tire? I'm sure crash is just following 'the manual'. Heck, my manual says 36 front, 42 rear. I usually run ~33/39 but I'm just guessing. Seems like a tracking 30/30 would possibly be too soft for most street riding? But again, I'm guessing?