Protective Gear

After my crash at VIR last year (my first crash in over 20 years) I found out how well protected I was wearing a good, basic set of protective gear. In my case I was wearing an Arai helmet, Alpinestars gloves and boots, a Pilot back protector and Pilot one-piece leathers. If it weren't for the awkward landing (on my head that is) I think I could have walked away from the crash with only a few bruises. Considering the damages to my bike, which was totalled out by my insurance company, walking away nearly unharmed would've been a good result. Anyway, I've been thinking about upgrading my back protector (for a little more coverage) and adding some chest and/or hip and thigh protection (mostly because I'm feeling a little paranoid) but this left me wondering what others are using these days. So, now that the long intro is over, what are you wearing and why? What have you tried that did or didn't work out, and what have you not had that might've helped you more? Thanks :)

Brad,

I'm been using Dainese back protectors for nigh a decade but have recently switched to Knox Contour Race (long) with the optional breast armour.

The Dianese protectors I have seen only meets "Level 1" CE protection, while several other brands (including Knox) meets the tougher Level 2.

Kai

Hi Brad,

I have been using the "normal" stuff, including a Knox chest protector (which is pretty comfortable and no trouble).

Recently I added a Safermoto Neck Vest. This vest is a double ring style, neck supporting airbag. While they make full vests, the track I usually race at has limited runoff at palces, and I wanted to maintain as much leather exposure as possible for it's friction, and also wanted to keep as little of a round beachball profile as possible. So far I have been satisfied with the results. The vest inflates instantly, and fills the space between the collarbone and the helmet. My day job is as an emergency responder, so I like the idea of bracing my neck before the impact.

You can read a quick review with a link to pictures (2nd post down) here:

http://www.wmrra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13407

-Sean

Hi Brad,

I have been using the "normal" stuff, including a Knox chest protector (which is pretty comfortable and no trouble).

Recently I added a Safermoto Neck Vest. This vest is a double ring style, neck supporting airbag. While they make full vests, the track I usually race at has limited runoff at palces, and I wanted to maintain as much leather exposure as possible for it's friction, and also wanted to keep as little of a round beachball profile as possible. So far I have been satisfied with the results. The vest inflates instantly, and fills the space between the collarbone and the helmet. My day job is as an emergency responder, so I like the idea of bracing my neck before the impact.

http://www.wmrra.com...ead.php?t=13407

-Sean

Thanks for the info Sean. I looked at the SaferMoto website and watched their demonstration video for the Neck Vest, and that looks like a great product. I'm definitely adding that to my wish list for upcoming purchases.

I've got a Force Field back protector (they also make a chest protector).

Dylan did some research on this a while back, and I like it a lot. Haven't had to test it in anger, but it is amazingly comfortable which is a nice feature.

CF

I've got a Force Field back protector (they also make a chest protector).

Dylan did some research on this a while back, and I like it a lot. Haven't had to test it in anger, but it is amazingly comfortable which is a nice feature.

CF

Wow! First the BMW S1000RR, and now Force Fields! You guys really are going high tech ;)

(Sorry, I couldn't help it...)

I looked at their website and their gear looks very intriguing. I like the harness with the combined back and chest protectors; I may have to consider that for my wish list.

After my crash at VIR last year (my first crash in over 20 years) I found out how well protected I was wearing a good, basic set of protective gear. In my case I was wearing an Arai helmet, Alpinestars gloves and boots, a Pilot back protector and Pilot one-piece leathers. If it weren't for the awkward landing (on my head that is) I think I could have walked away from the crash with only a few bruises. Considering the damages to my bike, which was totalled out by my insurance company, walking away nearly unharmed would've been a good result. Anyway, I've been thinking about upgrading my back protector (for a little more coverage) and adding some chest and/or hip and thigh protection (mostly because I'm feeling a little paranoid) but this left me wondering what others are using these days. So, now that the long intro is over, what are you wearing and why? What have you tried that did or didn't work out, and what have you not had that might've helped you more? Thanks :)

I too use the T-Pro Forcefield Body Armour. Been using it for a couple of years now and have tested them a few times with great results. It molds to your body so it feels very comfortable. I have the Pro Back Protector, the Race-Lite Chest Protector, and the Full Underpants Protector, which I do not see them on their main website anymore. However, they are listed at the Johnson Leather website (http://www.johnsonleather.com/images/Forcefield-Pants-002-large.jpg); the place I bought them from about 5 years ago.

Another thing you can try is a good mouthguard to prevent concussions. I bought a Shock Doctor (http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/mouthguards.aspx) and used it only once as I did not set it right and it was hurting my gums. But this one may take some time to get used to too. I did not like the feeling too much but I only tried it once.

[...]

http://www.wmrra.com...ead.php?t=13407

-Sean

This could be a great addition. For some time I have been looking for a good neck protection product. I got one of those doughnuts protector things but only used it for one session and never tried it again. It felt awkward and uncomfortable. It did not allow me to turn my head comfortably and without getting distracted by it. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it. I have also been thinking about trying a Leatt Brace but from what I’ve read it appears that it too is restrictive.

Anyhow, this SuperMoto Neck Vest, do you wear it on the outside of the leather suit?

This could be a great addition. For some time I have been looking for a good neck protection product. I got one of those doughnuts protector things but only used it for one session and never tried it again. It felt awkward and uncomfortable. It did not allow me to turn my head comfortably and without getting distracted by it. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it. I have also been thinking about trying a Leatt Brace but from what I've read it appears that it too is restrictive.

Anyhow, this SuperMoto Neck Vest, do you wear it on the outside of the leather suit?

Yes, the vest goes on the outside of the suit. Here are links to a couple of pictures. Also, the website of www.safermoto.com has more info. I am pretty happy with it's operation and it's potential to prevent a significant neck injury. I was originally worried that it would keep me from getting my head up while tucked, or that it would hit the tank when cornering, but it really hasn't been much of a problem. Neck mobility pre-deplowment is good, and the ability to turn your head after inflation is still there (so you can look upstream on the track). If I am tucked down on the tank, I can just feel it between the hump on my leathers and the base of my helmet, but it is not a hinderance. Price was around $350. New CO2 cartridges for repacking are $20-25. The ability to turn my head and move my neck through it's entire range of motion with zero pain after the crash... priceless.

http://www.darrenbea...6460554_Ft8v4dn

http://www.darrenbea...7458275_Ws4MbZw

Also, video:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QJw-p7muZGk

Enjoy.

-Sean

• 1 month later...

What about the Icon chest and back protector. I rock the Dainese, but I have friends who use the Icon and it looks very safe. I do like the length of my Dainese. Well, at least until it rides up and pushes my helmet forward.

What about the Icon chest and back protector. I rock the Dainese, but I have friends who use the Icon and it looks very safe. I do like the length of my Dainese. Well, at least until it rides up and pushes my helmet forward.

Hi Jason,

I used to use the Dainese back protector, and have had the same issue with it riding up and pushing my helmet foward. Also the guys at CSS in the Uk thought it was a bit too narrow to provide proper protection around the shoulders.

I now use a Forcefield 2 protector that is much wider at top than the Dainese one, it moulds to my back when it warms up and I haven't had a problem with it riding up while being used. I foget that i am wearing it once its on.

Thankfully I haven't had to use either of them to find out if they work. But both are CE approved to Level 2.

Andy E

Hi Jason,

I used to use the Dainese back protector, and have had the same issue with it riding up and pushing my helmet foward. Also the guys at CSS in the Uk thought it was a bit too narrow to provide proper protection around the shoulders.

I now use a Forcefield 2 protector that is much wider at top than the Dainese one, it moulds to my back when it warms up and I haven't had a problem with it riding up while being used. I foget that i am wearing it once its on.

Thankfully I haven't had to use either of them to find out if they work. But both are CE approved to Level 2.

Andy E

I'll look into it. Thanks.

Archived