Have You Seen The New Vir Curbing Improvements?

The pictured curbing changes look extremely hazardous to my eyes. I hope we are missing something important that is yet to be released or defined by the folks at VIR (like a rubber curb goes over top of the serrated concrete or something - probably wishful thinking on my part). My gut reaction is to agree with the author of that opinion piece: if that is really what the curb will look like next year then my future interest in VIR will likely drop to Zero. I just really hope there is more to this - I really enjoyed riding at VIR.

I hear ya Brad. (I think we met at the track a couple years ago? I am a retired MSgt and do corner working at the track) I spend on average 15 days at VIR a year and if that curbing stays the same, it's going to cause some damage and realy decrease my desire to run there. AMA will not be racing there this year again, and I would be suprised if they would with those curbs.

I hear ya Brad. (I think we met at the track a couple years ago? I am a retired MSgt and do corner working at the track) I spend on average 15 days at VIR a year and if that curbing stays the same, it's going to cause some damage and realy decrease my desire to run there. AMA will not be racing there this year again, and I would be suprised if they would with those curbs.

Hi Ron, I was looking at this thread at the office this morning and didn't look closely at your sig line. We met in mid-Aug at VIR, so a couple months ago rather than a couple years :) , when I was doing my level 3 class with CSS and then also that weekend we were on south course with NESBA.

To beat the dead horse, I hope there is some big piece of info missing from the story. That new curbing (as it is pictured in the article) just looks like a certain recipe for disaster. I'm not a racecar guy but I really can't even imagine the car guys liking that curbing either.

The pictured curbing changes look extremely hazardous to my eyes. I hope we are missing something important that is yet to be released or defined by the folks at VIR (like a rubber curb goes over top of the serrated concrete or something - probably wishful thinking on my part). My gut reaction is to agree with the author of that opinion piece: if that is really what the curb will look like next year then my future interest in VIR will likely drop to Zero. I just really hope there is more to this - I really enjoyed riding at VIR.

Oh, "Swedish curbs". Yeah, they are definitely a danger for motorcylists since there's no grip available - don't go out on them with a lean unless you want to end up as

Edit: On closer inspection, this is even more dangerous than the curbs in Sweden (the swedish are "just" the flip-up type - no hard edge).

/Kai

Keith,

I thought you might like to see this. It's not too bike friendly....

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?lnk=rss&article=46827

Yuk... I'm not riding there! Im slightly curb-a-phobic anyhow.

I was down at Barber in November and I thought they had nice curbs- flat, even concrete with just painted strips. I heard the grip is still good on them but I didn't test it!

Keith,

I thought you might like to see this. It's not too bike friendly....

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?lnk=rss&article=46827

Yuk... I'm not riding there! Im slightly curb-a-phobic anyhow.

I was down at Barber in November and I thought they had nice curbs- flat, even concrete with just painted strips. I heard the grip is still good on them but I didn't test it!

If the teeth were backwards...now that would be a problem I wouldn't be interested in dealing with. The old curbing, which they left in place wasn't terribly rider friendly but actually worse in many ways than what this is. The new stuff has less change of pulling off a puck!

Keith

Laguna has had curbing that is stepped like this forever, no one even comments on it.

CF

THe curbing at Laguna doesn't look as pronounced as VIR's but maybe after awhile the curbing wears down. I have fond memories of the CSS school there in 49 degree weather and i remember going over the curbing out of turn three with no issues...

Laguna has had curbing that is stepped like this forever, no one even comments on it.

CF

THe curbing at Laguna doesn't look as pronounced as VIR's but maybe after awhile the curbing wears down. I have fond memories of the CSS school there in 49 degree weather and i remember going over the curbing out of turn three with no issues...

There are a bunch of people talking to VIR right now about the backing and we think that it can be handled with enough pressure from enough track day and school and race clubs.

Keith

Archived