Getting Bored With Road Riding - Need Something Else

I never thought that I wanted to learn how to ride a bike until my girlfriend wanted to have lessons, I couldn't convince her out of it so decided to join her.

She broke her leg on our Direct Access training and I went on to pass my test.

That was back in late 2007 and in February 2008 I bought a new Honda CBR600RR-07 which I found great, although due to not having much confidence in life I found it difficult.

I went to Ron Haslam Race School that year and did both the On Track and Premier courses in the same day, back then it was being run at Donington Park, and using their bikes I gained more confidence than I feel could have been achieved on the road.

I went from there to a evening track day at my local track, Brands Hatch and really enjoyed it although was very slow.

One of my main problems I've been told is I think too much.

I have read Twist of the Wrist 2 and Sports Riding Techniques, watched videos, Twist of the Wrist on video and Twist of the Wrist 2 on dvd, Simon Crafar's new dvd which in places seems to contradict what Keith Code says which is strange, all these are great but they haven't made me quicker and any more confident.

Last November I had my 600 stolen and am now enjoying even more the 2006 Fireblade but haven't taken it on track yet which I plan to do as soon as possible and then onto Level 1 CSS at Silverstone.

I am not sure however which circuit to go for and whether March will be a good time to go for.

Any advice that anyone can give me especially with regard to Level 1 and which circuit to use at Silverstone and if you have used Silverstone in March, would be much appreciated.

All the best and Happy New Year to you all.

Paul

post-23200-0-62144200-1325603763_thumb.jpeg

Paul,

I think you are getting ahead of yourself going to Ron Haslam's race school. It sounds like you need to take a step backward and work on some basics.

Morpheous,

I know what you mean, it can get a little bit too much reading/thinking, and not enough doing.

As for a track suggestion, I'm going to e-mail the UK coaches, they will be able to give a better answer. Interestingly enough, first time track riding its just fine to pick a shorter, not overly complicated track, and it won't get boring!

Best,

Cobie

I know what you're talking about with the "thinking too much" thing. My problem is that there is only one time that I can shut my brain off enough to do a stupid lap super-fast. When I'm following a rider to watch their riding. I register, mentally everything I'm doing, and it's one of the barriers to my improving. If you find a way to stop doing it, tell me how.

And welcome to the forum.

Morpheous,

Good morning, I am the Chief Riding Coach for the superbike school on this side of the Pond. Any of the Silverstone configurations would be fine but the Stowe circuit is a bit smaller and hence you get slightly more time with your coach as the laps are shorter so we can see you more often. As it is the basics we are looking to build on this would be fine. It is technical enough not to get bored and quite challenging to go quick on.

We are off to do our schools in India next week and will be away for 2 weeks, if you would like any more info either contact the office or email me direct at jet@superbikeschool.co.uk

best

Jet

Hello Morpheus

speaking as someone who was in a similair situation to yourself many moons ago i can only reccomend get to the school . sure the stowe tracks not as glamorous as the large track but as jet says and i,ve experienced you get more time with your coaches as its a short lap and more importantly if these are first school visits i think its ideal! believe me the last thing you need is to be going round somewhere really tricky when you need to concentrate on the drills .

Only my humble opinion but , my early experience was realising after a visit to cadwell park that if you can,t start to get it to gel together at somewhere like stowe first - its not gonna be easier at somewhere more technical .

So as in all things first things first - on another note i,ve been told on several occasions that i think too much !! l.o.l just be wary that you interpret things correct from the books , the advantage of a school is you can ask ( or maybe thats just me being thick!, ha ha )

Every time i go back the coaches are either knocking the rust off me from last time or tweaking something to the next level , my ridings came on in leaps and bounds since i first read twist but the reality is that without the schools i wouldn,t be anywhere near the level of current pace (or lack of , ha ha ) without it and importantly the understanding of whats going on.

Most importantly for me it gave me a basic system / approach to riding to start from and use , which is what i still try to do .

Archived