Lap Diary

gogogusgus

One of the things I have found useful and sometimes surprising, is the GPS laptimer.

-Sean

A journal or near real-time diary after each class and debriefing is critical for me.

Related to Tw1's Keep-A-Diary comment, it's interesting that there are only 2 references to the search term "diary" here.

What tools do you use to keep track of your laptimes?

Ago

Related to Tw1's Keep-A-Diary comment, it's interesting that there are only 2 references to the search term "diary" here.

What tools do you use to keep track of your laptimes?

I have a notebook, where I record suspension settings/changes, tires, pressures and laptimes (session's best).

On top of that I download all the GPS laps and store them on my computer for researching on the long, darks, cold winter nights.

Kai

Race Chrono. Best lap timer I've ever used and I've tried them all. Keeps fantastic records of each lap, speeds, trap times, acceleration/deceleration.... Analyze after each session on unit or that night on computer. pricey but worth it.

Race Chrono. Best lap timer I've ever used and I've tried them all. Keeps fantastic records of each lap, speeds, trap times, acceleration/deceleration..

JBV

Cool. Do you run the race chrono touchscreen with Q1000 external receiver.

Do you use the phone app?

That manual's pretty cool

Ago

• 2 weeks later...

I keep a notebook as well. It would be rare that I don't write down my thoughts first thing after I come in from a session. At the very start of the day I list the cold tyre pressures and any changes to that throughout the day (usually not though because I ride the same tracks on the same tires so it's pretty sorted). But I don't have a laptimer or anything, usually no one to time me either so my notes are generally about how I feel and where I want to improve in the next section. For the kind of riding I'm doing, I don't need a stopwatch to tell me if I messed up the entry/exit/etc. on a particular corner.

I do a couple of things. I can either draw out a map, or maintain a pre-drawn map that I'll draw on. I also take notes after a session, if I am just riding for overall improvement, or notes after working on one skill in a session.

I need to sort out a method. using a track layout map and put on info like; corner gear selection, ref points for break/turn in, surface changes etc.

I have a lap timer on my bike but havent used it yet! Dont realy think about times but if i carry on that way how will i know ive improved?

I do like the idea of an app for my phone, turn it on each session and get the data, it makes sense to me! Perhaps im lazey, but i think it would work for me.

Cheers Ago,

I have been looking at the trackmaster app' but haven't downloaded it yet, as i was looking for a free one.

But if it works, i wont mind paying for it as its only a few pounds and would give me loads of feed back.

For those iPhone based GPS laptimers - where do you put it? Something like a mount on the handlebar? Does that go through scruitineering okay? Or do you tuck it in the tail section? I tried the iPhone and found that it's not useful at all unless it's out in the open and pretty much has line of sight to the satellites, so no good tucking it away out of sight anywhere.

Not thought about that yet. But its amazing what you can do with duck tape :-)

all pen and paper !!!!!!

make a note of my best at that track and conditions , tyres pressures etc . and any improvements made over lap times usually in visual technique or r.p,s added or removed etc...

For those iPhone based GPS laptimers - where do you put it? Something like a mount on the handlebar? Does that go through scruitineering okay? Or do you tuck it in the tail section? I tried the iPhone and found that it's not useful at all unless it's out in the open and pretty much has line of sight to the satellites, so no good tucking it away out of sight anywhere.

When I used my old Nokia with RaceChrono for the same purpose, I just put it into the inner pocket of my suit. The precision was quite underwhelming (+/- 100ft) but when I used a cheap external GPS unit, velcro'ed to the air induction funnel on my R6, the resolution came down to +/- 20 feet or so. When I realized that I had to shell out quite a bit of $$$ for a more precise GPS unit, I took the plunge and bought a full GPS laptimer unit.

/Kai

Archived