Silly Questions

Hi Guys,

Just to introduce myself, My names Steve, I'm 31 years old living in New Zealand, I have been riding off and on since I was 15, with a large break to date, I have slowly just started getting back into riding but have lost my mojo :S

I have brought an Aprila RS250 to ease me back into riding (I only have my learners), I have real trouble leaning into corners even after watching and reading Twist of the wrist II, and abit of practice.

here comes my silly question..... I think the bike weighs about 140kg and I way about 100kg.... is the bike to light for a person of my weight? should I try a bigger bike?

or do I just need to put more faith into myself? any help would be great, apart from telling me to go on a diet as my wife has already told me hahah

Thanks Guys

Steve

Steve,

Welcome. I don't think this is related to weight, either you or the bike. Please explain when you say you're having difficulty leaning into corners exactly what happens or doesn't happen. What is the sequence of actions - control inputs - to turn? The level 1 steering drill looks at this. Here are a few mistakes I remember from my level 1

1. Arms stiff, pressing on both grips at same time

2. Pressing down instead of in the plane of rotation of the triple clamp

3. Not releasing pressure after steering input

4. Leaning against the turn or pushing the bike under you mx style

--Matt

Hi guys thanks for the fast replys :)

I think my fear is I'm going to run wide so I turn to early, freak out then do Everything wrong to make me go wider ie my sr's go wild. I go stiff, I sit up now I'm pressing on the bars and cant move the bike then brakes go on mid corner the bike goes all woberly or maybe me?.... so I think my biggest problem appears to be fear and trust in my bike and myself...

that is why I asked about weight so I can stop blaming the bike

I have tried to find a school here but there is not alot happening apart from a learner ride, ie city traffic training

any advise? maybe some counseling? hehe

Thanks Steve

Very quick turning bikes can be scary. I rode an RG250 many years ago and didn't figure out how to ride it. The lack of engine braking and the flickability along with the bent over riding position caught me out. But as this was one 200 km ride back in 1987, I really cannot comment in any way what I did wrong or what specifically made it difficult for me to ride.

What I do want to put across is that some bikes may suit one person and not another. However, your bike is an excellent handler, and there is no reason why you shouldn't eventually learn to ride it properly. However, I do NOT think it's an ideal learner bike. The engine is unforgiving and the chassis is also razor sharp. I would suggest a VTR250 instead; tractable engine, moderate riding position and stupid fun to ride - and also dead easy to master. Once your confidence is up, you can start riding your RS250 with aplomp B)

Hello aKCrazy,

You sound a lot like me when I started getting back into riding after a long break. I would try to turn and the whole bike would just lock up! It was like the steering suddenly weighed 500 pounds. :blink: Of course, it wasn't really the bike, it was me scaring myself silly, getting tight on the bars and locking my arms. Here are a couple of things I learned that really helped me:

2. If I would grip the talk with my knees and lock myself onto the bike, my arms would stay much more relaxed and able to turn the bike.
  3. If I did my braking BEFORE the turn, I didn't get scared trying to do too much IN the turn, and my arms would stay relaxed and able to steer.
  4. If I kept my eyes looking up the road and into the turn, I could judge my speed and the shape of the corner much better and I wouldn't scare myself silly going in. So everything stayed more relaxed (except my knees--still gripping the tank).
  5. If I could pick a spot to turn, but keep my eyes looking (mostly) down the road, then I could just push my inside arm forward and the bike would zip into that corner with a delightful effortless quality.

I guess that sounds like a lot all at once. You might want to break all that down and work on one skill at a time.

All that being said, I think SOME of your problem MIGHT be your choice of motorcycles. Bikes are MUCH easier to steer when your elbows are even with the grips. To get your elbows down to the same level as the grips on the RS250, you need to be in a racer's crouch for every corner. It makes me tired just thinking about it. The VTR250, as Eirik suggested, has a more upright riding position. Just a little forward lean will put you in a good position to push steer into the turns. A lot of this is covered in "A Twist of the Wrist II" book and video. If you don't have them yet, they will probably help you a lot. Of course, you are welcome to come to the USA and take a class any time. :rolleyes:

Hi Crash, Thanks very much for the comment, I think I have alot to work on here now, trying not to scare myself, I think my wife would deforce me if I spent our life savings heading off to the us to do a riding course. I'll head out on my RS later this week and see how I go with the advise you guys have all given me and will report back :)

Steve

Hi Crash, Thanks very much for the comment, I think I have alot to work on here now, trying not to scare myself, I think my wife would deforce me if I spent our life savings heading off to the us to do a riding course. I'll head out on my RS later this week and see how I go with the advise you guys have all given me and will report back :)

Steve

Hey Steve. Unsure where your based but we have 2 days of Superbike School at Hampton Downs (near Auckland) Feb 6th (Waitangi Day) and 7th. Link below...

http://www.californiasuperbikeschool.co.nz

It's the only dates booked for this year so come on board!!

Hi Thanks for that L&P great to hear the superbike school is also in NZ, I never seen it when I did a google search, Those date are abit soon for me as I live in Greymouth in the south island, is there chance they will add any other dates though out the year or come to the south island? ie ruapuna?

Thanks Steve

Hi Thanks for that L&P great to hear the superbike school is also in NZ, I never seen it when I did a google search, Those date are abit soon for me as I live in Greymouth in the south island, is there chance they will add any other dates though out the year or come to the south island? ie ruapuna?

Thanks Steve

At this stage mate the dates in Feb are the only scheduled for this year. Also I doubt they would have it anywhere else other than Hampton but you never know. Just book a trip to Phillip Island and do it there...go on!! :rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

Just to introduce myself, My names Steve, I'm 31 years old living in New Zealand, I have been riding off and on since I was 15, with a large break to date, I have slowly just started getting back into riding but have lost my mojo :S

I have brought an Aprila RS250 to ease me back into riding (I only have my learners), I have real trouble leaning into corners even after watching and reading Twist of the wrist II, and abit of practice.

here comes my silly question..... I think the bike weighs about 140kg and I way about 100kg.... is the bike to light for a person of my weight? should I try a bigger bike?

or do I just need to put more faith into myself? any help would be great, apart from telling me to go on a diet as my wife has already told me hahah

Thanks Guys

Steve

That Aprilia is a neat little bike and should be fun to ride. That being said, I do agree with another poster that it may not be the most confidence-inspiring bike for getting comfortable with lean angle and quick turn. Being so light, it will be more reactive to any extra inputs, like moving around on the bike or being tight on the bars, plus the riding position can make it harder to keep your weight off the handlebars. Personally I find that a more upright, street oriented bike feels more stable and makes me feel more comfortable leaning around corners and practicing quickturn, when riding on the street. I had an older ZZR600 at one time, that one was REALLY pleasant for street riding, and felt very secure. I'm not recommending you change bikes, but go easy on yourself - be aware that it even a very seasoned rider that is used to a larger, more stable bike would probably feel pretty uncomfortable leaning that bike over or quickturning it, until they got used to how it feels.

If you find that you are so uncomfortable with the bike that you don't enjoy riding it, and find yourself making excuses not to ride ("it's too cold", "I don't really have time", "I don't feel like suiting up"), then maybe you SHOULD consider another bike, to find something you really enjoy riding. Since you are just getting back into it, a Ninja 250 might be a bike to consider - the older version has a low seat height, upright riding position, and is very forgiving in a lot of ways, and they are readily available and inexpensive. The downside? The brakes and suspension do not compare to the newer sportbikes. But, a lot of people start on those and have a lot of fun with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys sorry been awhile since I have gotten a chance to get back on here, I have been out riding abit since I was last here and have applied the tips and advice from all you fokes,

I have improved quite abit from just doing this, I have also brought my own copies on Twist of the wrist II book and dvd, I have decided to carry on with the RS250 since my improvments and boost

in confidence, the bike is alot more fun and dont find myself making excussesabout going out on her, as someone pointed out "which was quite true", Im just going to take it easy and apply the skills from the book, dvd and you guys.

Thanks for all your coments and advise.

Steve

Archived