Bad Habit

spoolie25

ok so here is what happens, i go out with all my friends i am good for the first lets say hour. than i start thinking, i get half way threw the corner and panic sets in .thinking i am going to fast when i am not. i cant get past this and i have no idea how to get past it. pretty much i mind f my self. i start out in the front of the pack and by the end of the day i am in the back . when i go out by my self it does not happen . HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thinks a bunch

Some questions you need to ask yourself:

1. Does the speed increase over the day, as in; does your mates ride faster and faster until it gets too fast for you?

2. Do you mates ride very differently from you, upsetting your rhytm?

3. Does the pace you keep cause you to have scares before you start making these mistakes?

From personal experience, I can say that I very quickly reach my personal limit, whereas other start out much slower only to go faster and faster as they gain confidence. This relates to track, but could also relate to street riding. If that is the case here, simply accept that others are faster than you. Once you relax and enjoy what you're doing, you will be faster and make fewer mistakes.

I also know that following somebody that rides totally different from you can upset you enough that you end up going slower while feeling you go much faster because you are not comfortable with the braking points and turning points. If that is the case, try to give yourself more room.

Riding over your head in some way tend to lead to mistakes. Mistakes upset your rhytm and usually leads to more mistakes. Again, trying to relax and focus on doing things right is better than gritting your teeth and trying harder.

ok so here is what happens, i go out with all my friends i am good for the first lets say hour. than i start thinking, i get half way threw the corner and panic sets in .thinking i am going to fast when i am not. i cant get past this and i have no idea how to get past it. pretty much i mind f my self. i start out in the front of the pack and by the end of the day i am in the back . when i go out by my self it does not happen . HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thinks a bunch

Remeber that some poeple are faster than you and may just be taking it easy for the first hour or so. I think your getting tired, overthinking and maybe your visual skills are are diminishing. Where in the corners are you looking at the start of your ride compared to the latter half of the day, sounds like a bit of the two step drill needs to be consolidated. I also find that I stay at the front of the pack when I ride by myself too :D

they ride at the same pace . i feel as when i am behind people it throws my flow off if i start out in front of every one i am ok till i slow down a few and than some of my friends get out front,than it throws me off alot .

i think i scare my self coming into corners to fast when i am not really if that makes any sene my mind tells me its to fast . again this is a hour into the rides most of the time.

i went out after work today just for a short ride and noticed my chicken strips when down a little as well again i was buy my self on a normal paced ride.

If you got the bike leaned over at the entrance to the corner without falling down, you probably won't fall over by adding a little maintenance throttle in the middle of the corner. If you can take confidence in that, you may be able o relax and enjoy the ride. :)

If you got the bike leaned over at the entrance to the corner without falling down, you probably won't fall over by adding a little maintenance throttle in the middle of the corner. If you can take confidence in that, you may be able o relax and enjoy the ride. :)

the problem i am having is half way threw i panic . i mean i dont look any other place than the corner . just look threw it as much as i can . i dont know if i am letting off the throttle or not .

the problem i am having is half way threw i panic . i mean i dont look any other place than the corner . just look threw it as much as i can . i dont know if i am letting off the throttle or not .

Some questions I should have asked from the start. How long have you been riding and where? Have you completed Level 1 yet or read TOTW? Do you feel like your riding at 100% of your ability?

Back to your answer your saying you dont know if your getting off the throttle, if the throttles still on you'll hear the engine climbing in revs correct? You will definately run wide. Be very careful with the above mentioned adding of maintenance throttle too much, and the rear slides out or you chop the throttle and highside. Are you looking to far into the corner are you doing the two step properly? You will need to slow down so that you can set up for the corner, body poisiton, braking, RP's, TP's, exit point just to mention some.

I'm still thinking its a visual problem and that you just dont like being behind someone your probably flicking your vision between the bike in front and the road.

spoole, what you write suggest to me even stronger that you ride differently to your mates. Some mates I used to easily pull away from would, if I followed them, seem to ride like madmen. It took me many rides to understand exactly how I could ride faster than them by a fair margin, yet get scared stupid by trying to follow them. But eventually it became clear to me what was happening; my mates would brake early, then corner on the throttle. I braked very late, to the apex and sometimes beyond. So when I followed my mates, I would first get slowed down dramatically entering the turn, then they would start to get on the throttle at a point where I would still be hard on the brakes. Their mid-corner speed was a lot higher than mine, but overall my way was faster - not the least because there were lots of corners where I didn't have to slow at all, but where my mates would slow to make sure they could take the corner safely.

Next time, try to understand how your way of riding differ from that of your mate's.

.... i am good for the first lets say hour. than i start thinking...

That "thinking" thing always screws me up, too. :)

Could it be that you are just getting a bit tired, and losing your concentration?

You also mention you drop behind the other riders - if you become a bit fatigued AND now have riders in front of you, does that make you lose your wide view?

If a rider no longer has a smooth visual flow, what typically happens to their riding?

i think i am having a problem being behind people. watch them to much to see how they set up . when in real life no one rides the same. my next thing is the two step. i need to work on that i think some more. thinking about it i am not very consitent with the throttle as the day goes on /: .. this is my 3rd season on a bike maybe 9 thousand miles tops. honeslty i am not to worried about being fast just as the day goes one. i start having these issues. i have not done any of the schools yet i am trying to sell my car to get a truck. so after that i will set up a school day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey spoole, when you say you start thinking... do you mean you start to take more notice of all the little controls like throttle input, clutch usage, brakes, gears etc? Or do you start to shift more of your focus to your corner speed & thinking how much faster you could go, rather than just focusing on your available traction?

Archived