How Does This Happen?

aslcbr600

Within the first 10sec of the video you will see the rider crash, I watched it as slow as I could and it's almost like there was oil on the track or something. He didn't even get to start leaning the bike over, how does that happen if it wasn't due to something like oil on the track?

Only other thing I could think of was he tried to quick flick too hard and lost the front?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0djeMioQGHY&feature=player_embedded#

!

It looks to me like he tried turning in while on the brakes and overloaded the front tire on the wet pavement. Stiff arms could definitely contribute to overloading the front, and although the rider appears fairly relaxed, you can see that his left arm is pretty straight right before he turns in, and when he goes down his arm looks braced and appears to fling him away from the bars. Maybe he was leaning on the bars and adding unwanted weight or steering input.

Can anyone list the conditions (hint: look in Twist II) that can cause a rider to lose the front when quickturning the bike?

It looks to me like he tried turning in while on the brakes and overloaded the front tire on the wet pavement. Stiff arms could definitely contribute to overloading the front, and although the rider appears fairly relaxed, you can see that his left arm is pretty straight right before he turns in, and when he goes down his arm looks braced and appears to fling him away from the bars. Maybe he was leaning on the bars and adding unwanted weight or steering input.

Can anyone list the conditions (hint: look in Twist II) that can cause a rider to lose the front when quickturning the bike?

Ahhhh! I am still missing the little things.......thanks for pointing those out! I will look at the twist II book and see what I can find.

That's Max Biaggi in a race this past season. I was watching that race and based on the evaluation the announcers made, Hotfoot is dead on. He came in hot, over braked, and lost the front. If I remember right he had passed Lafferty and was trying to make up some time on the lead group when he over cooked the entry.

It's a good lesson (as he still won he SBK World Championship) that anyone can make a mistake. Especially in reduced traction situations.

If you look at the bikes ahead of him, The Roman Emperor hadn't even gotten to the turn point yet, so I'd say it wasn't a steering input. These guys are still pushing their bikes to the limits in the rain. They lose traction like that pretty frequently in WSBK. I'd say that as soon as the front loses traction, while Max is leaning off the bike the way he is, it's just going to go.

Within the first 10sec of the video you will see the rider crash, I watched it as slow as I could and it's almost like there was oil on the track or something. He didn't even get to start leaning the bike over, how does that happen if it wasn't due to something like oil on the track?

Other bikes went over that area after this rider, loosing no traction; hence, oil on the track shouldn't have been.

It seems to me that he did a downshift right before the fall.

It could have been some lowside involved, combined with trail braking.

Other bikes started turning much later into the turn.

I'd say that as soon as the front loses traction, while Max is leaning off the bike the way he is, it's just going to go.

Interesting comment... why would you say that this would happen? Considering that if we're trying to steer the bike we can not make it move no matter how much of our body was hanging off the side?

Also if the correct body position/weight distribution was being applied (what I mean is the riders weight on the seat and not unnecessarily on the footpegs) then would it help the situation? Could incorrectly weighting the footpeg also be a contributing factor to this kind of crash?