Willow Springs Area Hotel Recommendations?

Stay in Lancaster like KHP says. I think the CSS team likes to stay at "Inn of Lancaster"... I've stayed at the Town House Motel and it was just fine for $80/night with internet... and there's a large pool too!

You will get a list of hotels from the office in the confirmation packet, but we do stay Inn of Lancaster--nothing fancy. Stay away from the Devonshire, it was a dump.

We also don't stay at the Motel 8 any more, too noisy on weekends.

CF

Totally agree with everything Cobie says above. Inn of Lancaster is pleasant and very friendly; the Comfort Inn and the Holiday Inn Express near Ave K in Lancaster are both nice. The Comfort Inn has a large gravel parking lot in back that easily accomodates trailers or toy haulers. All three places are 20-30 minutes from the track, and that is about as close as you can get for a decent palce to stay.

Military folks also have Edwards AFB as a nearby and excellent option for lodging. Their visitor quarters were very nice and very reasonably priced. Not sure how they manage retiree and other federal employees but I'd say it'd be worth calling them to ask, if applicable.

Also, and long story short, I had some medical troubles the time I did CSS at SoW and I had to convalesce at Edwards for almost a week before returning home. My wife flew out to CA and they gave us a house for our stay!

Franco802,

I camped back in June. It was a little warm for me. I'd say it's totally worth the money to head into lancaster. There's something to be said for the quality of sleep the night before you hit the track hard like they do at CSS.

If you do camp I'd recommend setting up your tent on the east side of the classroom building by the A/C unit. There's water available on the southwest corner of the building. Walk the track if you do because there's all kinds of cool stuff to see.

Also, there is a thermometer in the fence next to where your tent will be for your own sadistic knowledge...

Franco802,

I camped back in June. It was a little warm for me. I'd say it's totally worth the money to head into lancaster. There's something to be said for the quality of sleep the night before you hit the track hard like they do at CSS.

If you do camp I'd recommend setting up your tent on the east side of the classroom building by the A/C unit. There's water available on the southwest corner of the building. Walk the track if you do because there's all kinds of cool stuff to see.

Also, there is a thermometer in the fence next to where your tent will be for your own sadistic knowledge...

See, I missed all that cool stuff! Walk the track? Are you kidding me? We would be allowed to do that? Wow! Definitely camping next time. Thanks for the tips!

Franco802,

See, I missed all that cool stuff! Walk the track? Are you kidding me? We would be allowed to do that? Wow! Definitely camping next time. Thanks for the tips!

Sure you can walk the track. We showed up the day before and no one was there/Track was cold so we just walked the whole thing. I found a bent engine rod, part of a cylinder head and all sorts of bits and pieces. You can also look closely at the "tar snakes" and see how different they are from the ones you see on the public roads. You'll be surprised how far/big things are when you're on foot.

Enjoy.

Also, the water referenced above is potable (I think) so no worries there. You can back your car up to the SE corner of the building to assist in shade/wind shade. Check out the stars while you're there after all it is a desert. Befriend the people in the front office, they're fun too, as is the gate attendant. We lucked out and there were drag races on Saturday night (we were there for two track days) on the big track (Unfortunately we missed them due to some 'health' issues with one of our riders)

It'll be good times, I'm sure.

Cobie is right about the Devonshire. It was a dump and I paid $90 for two queen room. Never again. Next time I'm camping at the track. I didn't even know we were allowed to. Or I would of saved $90.

Yikes, they must have jacked up their rates, I've stayed there like 2x, but it was 60$ then, totally not worth 90$