How Do You Know What Your 100% *really* Is?

mugget

This is going a bit off topic - but how would you compare the feeling of riding a horse with riding a motorbike? I always wondered about that... not too sure I'd do well on a horse, boy they are tall! Never ridden one or been around them much, actually the thought of climbing on a horse scares me! :blink:

Gotta respect horses and a good rider though, still some impressive lean. :D

tumblr_lv7b6qKEfV1qdjz2ho1_1280.png

So I guess hanging off isn't such a big thing when riding a horse... vision looks spot on, at least for the rider. Not sure what the horse is looking at, but as long as at least one of them knows where they're going it should all work out, right? :P

Nice picture Mugget.

The team completed the quick turn, just past the apex, rider is relaxed, One hand on the saddle horn (it would be embarrassing to fall off under acceleration), left boot applying pressure to the left rear flank (to tighten the turn a touch), throttle has already been applied (notice the slack in the reigns), horse is listening to the rider (Left ear pointing toward the rider) but the horse got distracted by the camera (lose of attention in the turn, therefore the blown turn. Missed the apex) :o

I myself prefer motorbikes. Horses have 2 eyes, 2 ears, and a brain. Sometimes the horse brain has a different idea of what happens next. :wacko:

Once you learn and become aware of the signs it is easy to notice a horse getting ready to preform some entertaining maneuver. :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going a bit off topic - but how would you compare the feeling of riding a horse with riding a motorbike? I always wondered about that... not too sure I'd do well on a horse, boy they are tall! Never ridden one or been around them much, actually the thought of climbing on a horse scares me! :blink:

Gotta respect horses and a good rider though, still some impressive lean. :D

tumblr_lv7b6qKEfV1qdjz2ho1_1280.png

So I guess hanging off isn't such a big thing when riding a horse... vision looks spot on, at least for the rider. Not sure what the horse is looking at, but as long as at least one of them knows where they're going it should all work out, right? :P

Horses have such a wide field of vision, it's not obvious what they are looking at - usually the best indicator is their ears, if both are pricked sharply forward they are looking straight ahead. Otherwise generally their attention on each side is focused wherever their ear points, in the photo above the horse appears to have one eye on the barrel and the other on the path ahead.

It's hard to compare horses and motorcycles, they are so utterly different. I'd say the major SIMILARITY in riding horses and motorcycles is that riding them gives you a strength and speed far beyond what you could ever achieve on your own, a feeling of power and freedom that is a real thrill.

One big difference is that when you are trying to improve your performance on a motorcycle, it's all you. But when on a horse, it is a partnership and a cooperative effort; there is another thinking, feeling being involved, who has his own opinions and ideas. Good communication and mutual understanding are very important! It's a very special feeling when the horse really gets into the game and offers up an exceptional performance, or a better way to do something, or saves your hide by correcting a mistake you made or were about to make. Having a partnership and a common purpose with such a graceful and powerful animal is an amazing thing.

Cheers Hotfoot I think you just changed my mind about horses! Maybe I will ride a horse one day...

Makes sense about their vision, since their eyes are on the side of that big head of theirs! Who knew it was so involved & detailed... that's another similarity with riding motorcycles I suppose.

benhamf15, maybe there is more to that Icon helmet design than meets the eye?

myhelmet.jpg

Then again... maybe not. :lol::P