Island Of Man Tt

I'd like somebody (maybe some of our Brit friends) to explain me this.

It's beyond any comprehension I have of bike racing passion:

Why in this world would somebody decide to race on streets rather than track?

To paraphrase the mountaineer George Mallory: "Because you can?"

Because it gives other challenges than racing on the track?

Although I'm too old now - besides lacking the required talent - I will say that proper road racing really appeal to me, whereas track riding does not. Exactly why is hard to say, but the experience on a narrow, winding road lined with whatever is far more intense than what you can find on a track. I think it comes down to preferences; if you want to learn to ride a bike at the absolute limit with a minimum of risk, you will prefer a track. If you like to challenge the road itself, a track will hold less apeal.

... Rossi feels the same way you do

... google Surtees, Murray Walker, Joey Dunlop, Mike The Bike Hailwood, Stanley Woods, Agostini

... long deep history of the IOMTT

... has been said that some of the early racers were World War 1 veterans looking for PTSD trench warfare adrenalin generators

jg

I love the TT. What I find hugely appealing is the purity. A single rider battling the track itself and nothing else.

While it is technically a road it's not much different than the Monaco Grand Prix where F1 cars are raced in very tight quarters with no run off areas. Some great footage of Aryton Senna at Monaco bending his car around the tight corners. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6bwZ4ooTI

• 4 weeks later...

I would quote JFK: "We do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard". And I think that true road racing demonstrates that difficulty (and the startling consequences of failure) much more clearly than track racing.

I'm not saying it's right, wrong, or even sane, but as human beings we are attracted to danger, albeit in varying degrees. And races like the TT allow some to live that danger and many more of us to do so vicariously.