Cross Training-do you do it?

Cobie Fair

How many ride other disciplines, and use that to supplement (or as the primary) your riding?

Riding in the dirt is something I've done little of, and mostly enjoy some good hooligan trail riding.  So that's a supplement for me, do it rarely (although more this off season).

How many of you ride other disciplines?  If so, what?  How often?  For what purpose? (training to help the primary, physical exercise, fun, social/camaraderie, get out of the house so you don't get stuck with honey-do lists?).

Best,

Cobie

I did an American Supercamp school, which uses 125cc dirtbikes on dirt to get riders more comfortable sliding and spinning the rear tire. I think I'd need to do more of it to get comfortable backing it in or sliding a lot on the asphalt, but it did help some, and it helped my dirt riding confidence a lot. Most of all it was really a fun day, and we had a great time dicing it up on the short dirt track. :)

I don't do it as much as I'd like, but I'm sure dirt bike riding would be a great way to keep in shape and cross train. Mountain biking, too, probably, but I'm definitely in not good enough shape for that! 

Lanval,

Those schools have been around for a while...be interested if anyone else had been there?  

I did a school with Gary LaPlante, that was fine...maybe time to get a refesher.

Anyone recommend a good off-road school in the SoCal area?  Not interested in serious MX.

Haven't done the Supercamp, could be fun though :)

On 2/12/2019 at 6:06 PM, Cobie Fair said:

Anyone recommend a good off-road school in the SoCal area?  Not interested in serious MX.

I booked a private day with AdMo Tours about 8 years ago. I grew up riding in the dirt but lacked confidence taking my big KTM 990 Adventure into the technical stuff.  I learned a lot and had great fun - that 990 had to be screaming through the sandy whoops to keep the weight on the rear wheel, holy ! Can’t remember the guys name that I rode with, but great guy. They’re not geared toward MX, more dual sport and enduro. 

They also offer tours - I’d still like to do their LA to Vegas ride/route. Looks like they’ve added some other cool ones. 

You'll need to set-up the California Super-Dirt-Bike-School with all the dirt chat here 😉   I like a little bit of trials riding, and had a bit of an off-roading adventure in Morocco on KTM 450's - really good fun!  

Hotfoot - if you can ride a motorbike you can ride a mountain bike!! (although counter steering a 20kg bike with the same force as a 200kg results in a Tron-like, 90degree cornering scare!) I love mountain biking as you have to move around on them a lot, if you stay static or rigid the bike lets you know about it,  plus it's good for the cardio and leg workout.  Although not riding, I've recently found swimming (front crawl) with closed fists is a good one to work the obliques/core, and replicates the same movements of your upper body on the bike, such as knee-to-knee/hip flicking over the seat.