Which track to choose

Laguna is a great choice, especially if you’ve never been to the area - a lot to offer in the way of off track activities/scenery (Monterey, Santa Cruz, extend your stay and rent a bike to ride PCH). 

Barber would be high on my list - great track plus the museum. 

VIR another obvious choice for track. And never been, but I hear good things about the track at the Corvette Museum. 

Honestly, I don’t think there are any bad or wrong choices. No matter where you go, the two day camp will be a top notch experience - in my mind it would depend on my schedule and what else I’d like to tie into the trip... Visit friends, ride PCH, try to break even on the trip at the tables in Vegas???

Thanks for the feedback El Colibri,  I live on Vancouver Island , so was thinking I d ride my speed triple down there. I ve already ridden to Vegas and back  from here but i love the area, so yeah Laguna Seca makes a lot of sense, and I mean it is a legendary track after all. 

It seems like it might not be the best track to open up on the power as much as others perhaps, I don't believe there is a long straight ,but I m fine with that.

• 2 weeks later...

You really can't go wrong with any of the tracks that CSS goes to.  However, I would give the slight edge to Barber, VIR, and Laguna if you're making a big trip out of it. 

If you're open to the entire country, I would probably vote for Barber.  It would be a heck of a long trip, and I would definitely recommend using the school's BMWs.  Barber has a fantastic track and the museum is incredible.  The museum is definitely a must-see.  

VIR flows incredibly well and has fun elevation changes.  You would be running the North course.  Beyond the track, VIR has great amenities.  You can rent a room overlooking the front straight or stay at the inn, and it has a restaurant on site. 

Laguna is a legendary track, but the amenities definitely are lacking compared to Barber and VIR.  However, Monterey as a whole does make up for the extra frills that the track lacks.  Also, do not worry about the straight.  It is plenty long enough to scare yourself, especially if it your first time on track.  On that note, even though VIR may seem like it has a long front straight, it definitely has a strong kink at speed.  Although I would vote for Barber first, I will also say that Laguna days are harder and harder to come by.  To that extent, you might want to do Laguna Seca sooner than later before the ridiculous neighbors finally make the track costs astronomical.  (I fear that day will happen in the not too distant future).

You really can't go wrong with any of them. 

But really consider renting their bikes.  *knock on wood* The biggest issue I have with riding to the track is what happens if you crash.  Odds are, the motorcycle will sustain damage and require repairs.  Additionally, there is always the risk of bodily injury preventing riding home even if the bike is fine.  If you have contingency plans ready, then that's one thing.  I always prefer to drive or fly-in.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Apollo said:

You really can't go wrong with any of the tracks that CSS goes to.

This. You'll have so much fun no matter which track you choose. I did Laguna Seca for my level 1 and 2 training and It was fantastic, especially because it was right after the Motoamerica/WSBK weekend and I got to watch the races and then do the 2-day camp! 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:53 PM, Chriswick said:

It seems like it might not be the best track to open up on the power as much as others perhaps, I don't believe there is a long straight ,but I m fine with that.

Laguna Seca has two uphill straights that are great opportunities to get the throttle wide open. You wouldn't get as high a top speed as you could at VIR, for example, but the uphill acceleration is REALLY fun and personally I have more fun laying on the power at Laguna than I do anywhere else, I love those straights there. However, having said that, it is common for it to be a bit cool at Laguna so it can be hard to keep enough heat in the tires to get maximum traction for cornering, compared to somewhere like VIR or Barber where the temps are usually high when we are there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...