Tire question

Why is that with current high performance tire sets that you fully reach the edge of the rear tire, there is still a half inch "chicken strip" remaining on the front tire?  One would think you would reach the edge at the same lean angle. 

Thanks in advance.  Greg D.

• Thanks 1

The fronts don't get to the edge, on any of the bikes we've had for years.  The rear will go all the way, the front always has a "chicken strip".   That's a good question though, are there any bikes they do get to the edge, besides full race bikes (WSB or MotoGP).

CF

• Thanks 1

This may be an oversimplification but I thought it was because the rear tire is wider than the front on the higher horsepower bikes. The effect is a lot less noticeable on smaller, lower HP bikes where the tire sizes are not as different front to back.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, Cobie Fair said:

The fronts don't get to the edge, on any of the bikes we've had for years.  The rear will go all the way, the front always has a "chicken strip".   That's a good question though, are there any bikes they do get to the edge, besides full race bikes (WSB or MotoGP).

CF

I was told by a Dunlop tire rep if I get to where there is no chicken strip on front on the street I am going WAY too fast when I asked that!  I think the Q4 can do 62 degree of lean; I know my 2015 GSXR cannot anyway.

• 1 month later...

I rode Q4s for L4 training during the last 2 day camp at VIR. They were outstanding. Have no idea what lean angle was achieved but they provided tons of grip & confidence when fully leaned over with knees on the pavement. They will be my go to track tire when not on slicks. If you are considering giving them a try you won't regret it.

Dave 

Have to agree all the way on that.  Got some great info from Dylan on these tires (he's well educated on them) and they work better in every category but street wear.  So the Q3+ is an excellent tire, but the Q4 would be the one for strict track riding for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4s have been amazing every time I've ridden them. What impressed me most was at The Ridge when it got wet I decided to swap from my S1000 (Q4s) to the school's on Q3s (It was a camp so I had one assigned) and, after some ramp up, almost immediately started [mildly] sliding at a pace I had felt 'rock solid' on my bike. I switched back next session and it was great again. I'm sure real wets would have been even better, but it caught me off guard that a tire that is basically "as close to a slick as you can be for street" was that capable.