Schools & Track Days In Australia!

Hi Everyone,

This is my first offical post on the Cornering Forum...and considering the time of year (4 days before Christmas...) I thought I'd bring good tidings of great joy!

Firstly I should mention that I am the director of the California Superbike School down under. I've been working with Keith and his crew for almost 11 years now and we run just over 30 Cornering Schools per year here in Australia.

We also have contracts with the two best venues in the country (and arguably the world...) to run their Track Days for them, under the banner(s) of Phillip Island Ride Days & Eastern Creek Ride Days.

Why do I tell you this you may ask? Well...I thought it about time I got these dates up on the forum so those of you that are thinking about a holiday when it's cold and wet there (we've just started summer...), you might want to hop on a plane and come out to enjoy some of the best racetracks and best weather on the planet. And no...I'm not biased! Honestly...

Anyway...enough rambling from me. It's great to be onboard on the forum. Follow the links to check out the websites so you can see what you're missing by not visiting our wide / brown land.

California Superbike School

http://www.superbikeschool.com.au/

Eastern Creek Ride Days

http://www.easterncreekridedays.com.au/

Phillip Island Ride Days

http://www.phillipislandridedays.com.au/

Good luck with your riding,

Steve Brouggy

Hey Cobie...great to be here!

BTW...did I mention we've got an all new fleet of bikes? We've just signed a deal with Suzuki and have a fleet of the all new K7 GSX-R600 all prepped and ready to go. We also have full riding gear with helmets by AGV, boots by Alpinestar, leathers & gloves by RST available for hire at each day.

So, no need to bring anything, just yourselves, and have a great time down under on Phillip Island...arguably the best MotoGP track in the world. OK...so that sounds like a sales speil doesn't it...alright, don't trust me, how about talking to some of the guys who've been out here. Like...Cobie! Also Stuman, Dylan, Stonie and of course His Keith-ness...

I look forward to posting up on the other areas on this website, once I get through all the Christmas festivities that is, so we'll see you in the new year. Until then...

Steve

• 3 years later...

BTW...did I mention we've got an all new fleet of bikes? We've just signed a deal with Suzuki and have a fleet of the all new K7 GSX-R600 all prepped and ready to go. We also have full riding gear with helmets by AGV, boots by Alpinestar, leathers & gloves by RST available for hire at each day.

So, no need to bring anything, just yourselves, and have a great time down under on Phillip Island...arguably the best MotoGP track in the world. OK...so that sounds like a sales speil doesn't it...alright, don't trust me, how about talking to some of the guys who've been out here. Like...Cobie! Also Stuman, Dylan, Stonie and of course His Keith-ness...

I look forward to posting up on the other areas on this website, once I get through all the Christmas festivities that is, so we'll see you in the new year. Until then...

Steve

I know that this post is over 3 years old, but wanted to get some more information on doing a trackday or four :-) down under. Steve, are you still the director down there and can you answer some questions I have?

G'day TomQ,

Looks like I beat Steve to your post...

Great move, trackdays are a great way to enjoy your motorcycle without the ever increasing Vic speed police taking your license away.

Steve is the director, however a lot of the info you may be looking for is already available on the easy to read website:

Phillip Island Ride Days

or for our Sydney track:

Eastern Creek Ride Days

of course, the superbike school's web page can be found here:

California Superbike School Australia

If you'd like to speak with us, just call us on 1300 793 423, we're happy to answer any questions, or simply reply back.

All the best Tom,

Jason

Steve

I know that this post is over 3 years old, but wanted to get some more information on doing a trackday or four :-) down under. Steve, are you still the director down there and can you answer some questions I have?

Hi Jason,

My friends and I are coming from the US, so we've got a bunch of logistical questions. We've done a lot of trackdays locally and thought it would be really cool to do some while visiting Australia. We're planning on being there in December for 3-4 weeks.

Licensing

We don't have an Australian motorcycle licenses. Is a California motorcycle license sufficient to get on the track? A few of us are club racers here in with the AFM if that helps.

Group Selection/Bike Hire

We're planning on signing up for the B1 group on the first day and then possibly moving up to the A group on the second day if appropriate. We plan on hiring bikes for the trackdays, but wondered if the Dunlop Qualifiers were good enough to run a fun pace in the faster group? We're used to running DOT race tires (Michelin Power One, Bridgestone BT003, Dunlop 211 NTEC, etc.) at our local trackdays.

I read on the website that there would be charge for excessive wear. How do those Qualifiers hold up after a couple of days? I am a bit concerned because I'm at the wear bars on the rear tire after 2 days at Laguna running Michelin Power Ones on my 600.

Shipping gear

Can we ship our gear to your office? It would be nice to not have to lug our leathers, helmets and other safety gear with us on the plane. :)

Those are the first questions that pop into my mind. I'm sure I'll have more as our trip gets closer. Any general advice to make logistics easier would be great as well.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Jason,

My friends and I are coming from the US, so we've got a bunch of logistical questions. We've done a lot of trackdays locally and thought it would be really cool to do some while visiting Australia. We're planning on being there in December for 3-4 weeks.

Licensing

We don't have an Australian motorcycle licenses. Is a California motorcycle license sufficient to get on the track? A few of us are club racers here in with the AFM if that helps.

Group Selection/Bike Hire

We're planning on signing up for the B1 group on the first day and then possibly moving up to the A group on the second day if appropriate. We plan on hiring bikes for the trackdays, but wondered if the Dunlop Qualifiers were good enough to run a fun pace in the faster group? We're used to running DOT race tires (Michelin Power One, Bridgestone BT003, Dunlop 211 NTEC, etc.) at our local trackdays.

I read on the website that there would be charge for excessive wear. How do those Qualifiers hold up after a couple of days? I am a bit concerned because I'm at the wear bars on the rear tire after 2 days at Laguna running Michelin Power Ones on my 600.

Shipping gear

Can we ship our gear to your office? It would be nice to not have to lug our leathers, helmets and other safety gear with us on the plane. smile.gif

Those are the first questions that pop into my mind. I'm sure I'll have more as our trip gets closer. Any general advice to make logistics easier would be great as well.

Thanks,

Tom

Gday Tom,

I think its best if you rang the office (International: Phone: +613 9763 3338 Fax: +613 9763 3830) and have a chat to Sandy at the Australian school. They will have the best advice.

Hope to see you at the Island

Dylan

Gday Tom,

I think its best if you rang the office (International: Phone: +613 9763 3338 Fax: +613 9763 3830) and have a chat to Sandy at the Australian school. They will have the best advice.

Hope to see you at the Island

Dylan

Thanks! I'll give Sandy a call today.

Hi Tom,

My phone will figure this out for me now, I don't have to be very smart any more, but I know LA to Melbourne (back when Steve Brouggy would talk with me), and Melbourne is 19 hours ahead of LA.

Oh and while I'm whinging about Steve, how about a family pic or one of the kids?

Does it matter that I haven't sent you one, no not really!

CF

Hi Cobie, Jason, Steve -

I talked to Sandy and she was very helpful. All of my questions were answered.

I'm posting up the information I received in case anyone else is considering make a trip.

Licensing

- Australian moto license is not required. A full motorcycle endorsement is sufficient from the home country.

Bike Hire/Group Selection

- Bikes are not hired out to the A group. Rentals can only go in the B1, B and C groups. It's probably good that they're not allowed in the A group, because I'm not sure I'd trust a street tire.

- There is a tire wear policy, but Sandy said in her years there that she's never seen it been applied. I guess those Qualifiers are a pretty durable compound. ;)

- Because of the bike hire rule for the A group, we'll be signing up for the B, B1 groups. That's fine, we just want the opportunity to ride on a world class track.

Gear and shipping gear

- Helmet safety requirements - doesn't need to meet Australian helmet certs. As long as it's a motorcycle helmet that's certified in the home country, then it's fine.

- We're going to have to take our gear with us on the plane. No gear shipments are accepted. An alternative is to rent gear when there.

Thanks for you help everybody,

-Tom

Hi Tom...

Seems like you've got it sorted. Hope it all works out. Make sure you ask for me when you're here and say G'Day.

Cobie...

Perhaps if you stopped whining and shrugged off your phobia of technology based social interaction mediums (*cough* facebook *cough*), you'd be able to see photo's of my precious little ones and maybe even a few of that hot chick I married. It's kinda' how people do things in this century...

Also...I don't recall rejecting any calls by phone or skype buddy boy. You want me? Call me!

All jokes aside...would be good for a catch up at some point mate. Let's see if we can do that at some point in the near future hey?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Tom...

Seems like you've got it sorted. Hope it all works out. Make sure you ask for me when you're here and say G'Day.

Cobie...

Perhaps if you stopped whining and shrugged off your phobia of technology based social interaction mediums (*cough* facebook *cough*), you'd be able to see photo's of my precious little ones and maybe even a few of that hot chick I married. It's kinda' how people do things in this century...

Also...I don't recall rejecting any calls by phone or skype buddy boy. You want me? Call me!

All jokes aside...would be good for a catch up at some point mate. Let's see if we can do that at some point in the near future hey?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the help. Sandy's been great about answering our questions.

We're booked for Dec 16-17. I'll look you up when we're there. Maybe you can give us a tow around the track for a lap or two?

-Tom

Hi Tom...

Cobie...

Cheers,

Steve

Facebook, schmacebook! But, how do you like my stunning picture up there? My wife and daughter did that for me...

OK, OK, I'll check your little ones out before the end of the year :)

And yeah, it would be good to catch up mate, been too long---one of us is going to have to take the plunge and jump a pond. Come over here, I'll let you be a ride coach!