Newbie's Guide To Surviving The Cornering Forum

css

Hello all, new to CSS, but not motorcycles. 2020 marks 50 years since my first bike. I'm looking forward to taking my first ever, on track, motorcycle class sometime this spring.

Good for you!  You'll greatly enjoy it. The CSS team and their training are outstanding. And as someone who started track riding in his late fifties, it is "never too late to teach an old dog new tricks" as they say. 

Dave

• 4 months later...

Hello from the Great PNW!  I am excited to join the forum.  I have to admit, I have been lurking for awhile.  I've followed California Superbike School since it started.  I wrenched on bikes for about 7 years in two different shops then due to the area I was from falling on financial hard times I joined the U.S. Navy.  I put in 24 years doing that, followed by my current work in the Department of Defense (Navy).  Getting ready to retire from "steady" work and put more time in doing the things i want to, not have to.  I've kept riding throughout.  I rode Kawasaki's for awhile having a 1973 Z1 during Eddie Lawsons reign.  Shifted to Yamaha's in 1985.  I currently ride a 1987 FZR 1000 that i bought new in January 1988.  It's been modified a little, so I can run modern rubber.  I've been looking at the new BMW S1000RRs for awhile.  Even took one on a test ride.  I'm looking forward to learning more about the bikes on track in July at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA.  Looking forward to meeting some of you I've come to know a little bit about through the forum.  Happy 4th of July!  Jim

Hi Jim,

Please come and say hello when you get there, first thing in the morning.  We'll chat for a few minutes, and I'll take a look at the coach assignments for the day.  

Best,

Cobie

Thanks Cobie.  I will.  I have ridden PIR, Seattle Raceway, and the Ridge.  I'm looking forward to whoever, whatever assignments you decide.  Looking forward to meeting you.

Jim

20 hours ago, Motorbiker said:

Thanks Cobie.  I will.  I have ridden PIR, Seattle Raceway, and the Ridge.  I'm looking forward to whoever, whatever assignments you decide.  Looking forward to meeting you.

Jim

Didn’t know which day(s) you are/were here but I’ll be on the lookout too if not yesterday

Just finished up the July 2020 two day camp at The Ridge.  (Levels 1 and 2).  I had a great time and learned some new things too.  Thank you to the entire staff, without your hard work it wouldn't be the success it has become.  Particular thanks to Chris as my on track coach.  I look forward to riding with the school again.  Jim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 9:43 PM, Motorbiker said:

Just finished up the July 2020 two day camp at The Ridge.  (Levels 1 and 2).  I had a great time and learned some new things too.  Thank you to the entire staff, without your hard work it wouldn't be the success it has become.  Particular thanks to Chris as my on track coach.  I look forward to riding with the school again.  Jim

You mean Charis ;)

On 7/29/2020 at 9:40 AM, DJ_ATL said:

Hi everyone.   I am new to the forum and about to attend my first of hopefully many CSB classes this coming Tuesday, August 4 at VIR.  Excited to be here and to learn as much as I can!

Hi DJ,

Great!  Come say hello in the am, very nice to meet some forum members at the track :).

Best,

Cobie

Hello All,

I am new to the forum, but not entirely new to CSS. I bought my first street bike in 2017 (GSXS 750Z), and quickly decided that I only wanted to ride where I could safely experience speed and turns without worrying about traffic, tickets, or insurance rates. I switched to track-only riding and was lucky enough to cornerwork for CSS at The Ridge in 2018. After that, I jumped at the opportunity to cornerwork in 2019 and again this year, 2020. I have read Keith's books 'Soft Science,' 'TOTW,' and am finishing up my second read of 'TOTW II.' This material has helped me with my riding this season and I am excited to be taking the level 1 class in August!

Jantzen

On 8/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Jantzen said:

Hello All,

I am new to the forum, but not entirely new to CSS. I bought my first street bike in 2017 (GSXS 750Z), and quickly decided that I only wanted to ride where I could safely experience speed and turns without worrying about traffic, tickets, or insurance rates. I switched to track-only riding and was lucky enough to cornerwork for CSS at The Ridge in 2018. After that, I jumped at the opportunity to cornerwork in 2019 and again this year, 2020. I have read Keith's books 'Soft Science,' 'TOTW,' and am finishing up my second read of 'TOTW II.' This material has helped me with my riding this season and I am excited to be taking the level 1 class in August!

Jantzen

Awesome! Welcome and have a great time at your school! 

• 4 months later...

Hi from Aotearoa/New Zealand.  New to this forum.  I hadn't ridden for 30 years.  Bought a Yamaha XSR900 early 2018.  Have done three training track days (first two with Brian Bernard of Bernard Racing at Manfield [he was coached by Keith when he raced in the USA]).   Did my first Superbike school November 2020 at Taupo (Bruce McLaren Motorsport Park) and have read Twist of the Wrist and also follow Nick Ienatsch (Yamaha Champ School).  My coach for the day was someone I'd seen at Manfield but wasn't involved in the training.  I'm primarily a road rider but want to lift my skill level.  I also learnt within my first 4 laps how addictive track riding is.  I'm not focused on lap times or speed but smooth and predictable riding.  In NZ we have the "RideForever" government funded programme that's based on the UK Police Riding Manual; I've repeated this course (silver and gold levels) 6 times and learnt something each time.  I'd rather spend the time and money improving my riding than buying farkles (and the XSR900 is very customisable).  I plan to do the level two course this year.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2021 at 12:57 PM, Mike Palmers said:

Hi from Aotearoa/New Zealand.  New to this forum.  I hadn't ridden for 30 years.  Bought a Yamaha XSR900 early 2018.  Have done three training track days (first two with Brian Bernard of Bernard Racing at Manfield [he was coached by Keith when he raced in the USA]).   Did my first Superbike school November 2020 at Taupo (Bruce McLaren Motorsport Park) and have read Twist of the Wrist and also follow Nick Ienatsch (Yamaha Champ School).  My coach for the day was someone I'd seen at Manfield but wasn't involved in the training.  I'm primarily a road rider but want to lift my skill level.  I also learnt within my first 4 laps how addictive track riding is.  I'm not focused on lap times or speed but smooth and predictable riding.  In NZ we have the "RideForever" government funded programme that's based on the UK Police Riding Manual; I've repeated this course (silver and gold levels) 6 times and learnt something each time.  I'd rather spend the time and money improving my riding than buying farkles (and the XSR900 is very customisable).  I plan to do the level two course this year.  

Very nice! Where do you plan to do Level 2?

• 10 months later...