Rear Brakes...who uses it and what for?

How many of you use the rear brake (on a street/sport bike), and if so, what for?

Let's see if anyone is willing to respond to this 🙃.  I'll for sure say what I do with it, but rather let some others start, and not color the thread from the start.

I honestly don't use it on street, but it has it's place in certain situations. 

On track, I know it has value, but really have no idea when and where to apply it for maximum effectiveness. Something I need to learn and have in my toolbox for when I do need it.

Thanks for responding, Iet's see if we can get some others to input, see what others are doing (maybe the same 😆).

I use it for gradual stops ie during the commute, to augment the front- if for no other reason than to use the front less when its not really important, or if braking needs to be really strong.   Maybe by itself if I'm merging in slow traffic, to trim speed for a moment without closing the throttle.   I don't use it when cornering, though occasionally instinct will make my foot want to.    Its way too easy for the combination of forward weight transfer and rear brake to cause trouble.

I replaced the rather indifferent front pads on my bike over last winter, put in some good ones which was a big improvement but I didn't bother replacing the rear- I'll do that when they really are worn out.

In other forums I do hear folks talk about using the rear almost exclusively, which I do wonder about..  they talk about skids and ABS triggering and so on as a fairly routine occurance.   OTOH some of the primarily dirt folks emphasize use of the rear which does make some sense to me from having ridden on dirt/gravel roads but I don't generally go fast enough on those for it to matter much.

I should probably use the rear a bit more than I do, specifically on bikes without any form of linking, but for me the rear brake's most common use is for holding the bike still at a stop, particularly on inclines.

I use rear brake for several reasons. I apply a short quick pressure before using front brake to lower CoG so that it lessens load transfer on the front. If I need to trail brake, rear brake will replace front one so that front wheel is not overloaded and slides. I also use it to counter acceleration if I was too gready with the throttle in any part of a turn. When slow riding I usually use it, but knowing how to front brake while slow riding is a good habit to have.

Is this where my inner 6 year old comes out and says for skids?😉

Riding in traffic I use it for stopping at lights at lower speed (<20mph), slowing for junctions/intersections where I want to free up my throttle hand to go again, and holding it on inclines as mentioned above.  Also where stopping on more of a cross-slope or camber, dictating which foot I am going to put down.

I also use it practicing emergency braking to load the rear suspension just slightly before applying the front brake which seems to keep the stopping distance down - whether I am braking at the bike or my own limits or not remains to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting comments.  I'm not clear on one thing: if the potential of the front brake is 100% on a sport/racebike, how does it help with the stopping?  What's the loading of that's being done, couldn't that just be done by the front?

• Cobie Fair changed the title to Rear Brakes...who uses it and what for?

Most of my coaches don't use the rear, myself included.  I'd struggle with it on braking (especially trailing late in a corner).  A few reasons for this, one is having my knees on the tank under braking.  I've seen Qaurtararo do that, and Bagnia.  But do they have thumb brakes, and do they use them? 

Another reason is, if the rear tire is off the ground, or has so little weight it's doing nothing in effect, then what use is it under braking?  And for street riding, when we tested some different rider skill levels, if they were using both brakes and locked the rear, most would let go of front too.

Lastly the mental bandwidth it takes to use both brakes (especially for emergency braking, when there is little or no bandwidth left).  

Call this just my comments, like to know how others look at this subject.

Generally, I don’t use the rear on track. I do use it often in conjunction with the front on the street, but feather off the pressure as I transfer to heavier load on the front. It’s an art to manage engine braking (especially if you have software that lets you adjust that), so I find it a bit too distracting to use when I’m working on improving other areas on the track. There’s an argument to be made that it could potentially save you a tenth here or there, and some cases where it’s less upsetting to the bike, or can control a wheelie just a bit, so I don’t fault someone for trying to master it. But honestly I can gain more than tenths working on other things that are simpler and more effective to get sorted out.

Years ago, I used it effectively to help slow the rear a bit as I way toying around with idle-speed settings on my ‘07 ZX-6r. I was having issues with off/barely-on throttle applications just prior to apex that were upsetting the bike and getting it really loose. Someone showed me how to adjust the chain tension (which was already in tolerance, but definitely helped), and told me to try raising the idle speed a bit. These both helped, but of course, now my engine braking was less effective, and you run into the danger of having a little gas applied at the same time you’re braking with the front. No big deal for tiny amounts when upright, but near max lean, this is a disastrous combo. Dragging the rear brake slightly offsets this, but introduces more risk of rider error getting too heavy on it or not enough. You’re already so busy concentrating on other things, and it forces a body position to keep your foot there. I soon gave up on the idea, and ended up buying the 2015 S1000RR before I could figure out how to get my ZX properly tuned for the problem. Now I have electronics to help with engine mgmt & wheelie control, so I can focus on the big things again.

Maybe someday I’ll have the skillset to back it in on the classic overtake into the Corkscrew and reduce attack angle with the rear, but not today = )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much agree with you all the way...but my someday isn't likely.  Using the rear is just more bandwidth absorbing than I'm willing to use on it. :)

• 2 months later...

Kenny Foray is a French superbike rider. Won for the fourth time the French championship. He never uses the rear brake. He does all the work with the throttle. I guess he is a good exemple of TC rule number one.