Stompgrip Traction Pads

Do these really work and do you guys suggest them?

How can you install them without getting air bubbles between them and the tank?

Hey there Clif,

I absoultely LOVE the Stomp pads! For me, they allow much less effort to grip the tank with my thighs when braking hard and cornering. There's a LOT less unwanted sliding around on the seat and smashing/pressing of the gonads.

As for applying them to your tank. Start with one corner and slowly lay it on. There's bound to be a few small holes (<3mm). But you can make a small incision in the bubble to allow the air out, then lay the pad flat.

Hope this helps.

I prefer the tech-spec pads (www.techspec-usa.com) . Easier to install, not as brutal on street riding (the stomp pads will leave welts with jeans) and are really removable/reusable. A number of the instructor's bikes at CSS had hem installed.

Ryan

• 3 months later...

You have to get use to them. I just put them on 2 trackdays ago, before using the stomp pads, I would like to slide and adjust. However, with the pads once your locking into position it is hard to adjust once leaned over since your leg is stuck to the pad. Once you get use to it, it helps a lot!

Stompgrips are alright, but I prefer the TechSpec Snakeskins as RyanITV has said. The Techspecs grip really well and look better than the Stompgrips in my opinion. The CSS fleet has Techspecs installed on the 07 bikes; it was actually riding the CSS bike that got me to pick up a set for my own bike.

PS. Everyone else I know uses Stompgrips; there's nothing wrong with them and they definitely do do the job. For as bubble free as possible of an install, just stick one side of the grip and sweep across to stick the entire grip on; it's like installing a screen protector for a pda.

And another alternative, which is what I was using (uber cheap), is medium or light grade 3M antislip tape. It's far from being as rough as skateboard tape so it won't tear up leathers and only cost me 3 dollars. But I'd recommend the stomps or techs. =P

• 4 months later...

Hotfoot,

I've used both, via the school and personal rides. I currently have stomp on my personal race bike, which works great, but...it does chew up your leathers after a year or so of hard use. None the less, it works! Having said that, I will be switching to TechSpec this year on my newly built ride. I really didn't notice the difference in grip between the two and since the tech spec is reusable and doesn't wear the leathers (as much) sold me.

And yes they do look better.

JB

Any input from CSS staff comparing the Stomp versus the Tech-Spec or why they changed from one to the other? I had Stomps on my previous bike but I'm wondering whether to switch to Tech-Spec for the new one.

Hotfoot,

Nothing that I have used has been better than the Stomp in terms of grip. But it has to be put on carefully (clean the tank well, let it sit for a day before using it, etc.). The Tech Spec also reportedly goes off and on, and looks a bit better.

Best,

CF

• 4 weeks later...

As a side note, theres an alternative for a track only bike, or a road bike where you don't care for the looks. Using plain silicone sealer! Done in strips running fore/aft I can say after a number of track days there is zero signs of wear and a freaky amount of grip

!

Unfortunately I've not had as much success with Stompgrip as others here. I've run through 3 sets on my road bike (CBR1000RR) in 2 years, they slowly slide down the tank after a few months, to the point of falling off after 6 months! No matter how hot and perfectly clean I have the surface of the tank plastic before installation too. So, sadly as I've heard others with the same issues then unless I hear their adhesive has been improved I won't be buying Stompgrip again.

Nice to know though they have good backup service (Wayne Gardners in Wollongong, Australia), they've replaced the same set each time for free.

If anyone would like photos of this Silicone method pop a reply and I'll get it up here.

Cheers

Jason

If anyone would like photos of this Silicone method pop a reply and I'll get it up here.

Cheers

Jason

I'd like to see it!

Best,

Cobie

I'd like to see it!

Best,

Cobie

No problem, here tis.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tarrask/Slinky...574545585813906

I sold this bike a few weeks ago and this is the buyers homepage, so no, I did not call my bike "slinky" as in the url :) !!!!

If you'd like a closer shot I'll ask him for one.

cheers guys, safe riding

Jason Woods

EDIT: The Silastic is actually quite soft too, so theres no chafing on the leathers like stompgrip did, the grip is fantastic especially in the wet, the only downside is its not for people who care how their trackbike looks.

This was a Selleys product, plain "All Clear" I believe, I'll confirm that when I get home. Absolutely no wearing off, or pulling off from the paint either. It stayed put and I'm a heavy guy who uses the tank a lot. I highly recommend doing this! Even if its to try it out and remove it later. (bet you end up choosing to not remove it though)

EDIT2: Confirmed, the product was Selleys 'All Clear', hope thats something you can find in the US. Credit (now I remember who it was who suggested this) goes to one of the CSS's own family, Michael Jeffery who looks after Sportsbike Tyres and Suspension at Eastern Creek, working for Steve Brouggy. Great suggestion!

• 3 weeks later...

I have both.

I have the Tech-specs on my R1 street bike and Stompgrips on my Track bikes.

Yes - the Tech-specs look better.

Personally, i feel more "planted" with the Stompgrips.

I put TS on my R1 because when i am running errands etc. i wear riding jeans from ICON, Cortech etc. IMO Stomp grips are a little too aggressive for anything other than leathers.

But for balls out grip on the track, i like Stompgrips.

They work well. If I were to do it again, I would get the black instead of the clear. With the clear, you'll see the air bubbles, no matter how careful you are, and from a distance, it will make the paint job look strange. At least with the black, it's obvious what it is. Plus the black adds 5 HP. :)