Track Question For Those With Less Than Perfect Vision

BLSJDS

I last had my eyes checked about 2 years ago; 20/20 in each eye. However, I think my vision is deteriorating a bit (I spend my working hours in front of a computer). I do wear very mild glasses at work just to sharpen things up a bit, but don't wear them at any other time.

For those that have glasses or contacts to correct your vision, do you prefer to use the glasses or contact lenses while at the track?

I am asking because I want to go in for another eye exam and was contemplating contact lenses as I think they'd be less intrusive than a pair of glasses under the helmet.

Thanks for your input!

Dan

I last had my eyes checked about 2 years ago; 20/20 in each eye. However, I think my vision is deteriorating a bit (I spend my working hours in front of a computer). I do wear very mild glasses at work just to sharpen things up a bit, but don't wear them at any other time.

For those that have glasses or contacts to correct your vision, do you prefer to use the glasses or contact lenses while at the track?

I am asking because I want to go in for another eye exam and was contemplating contact lenses as I think they'd be less intrusive than a pair of glasses under the helmet.

Thanks for your input!

Dan

Hi Dan,

I noticed when I was doing more driving (long distance in the trucks) my eyesitght would get better after a while. My father, who is over 70, still flies airplanes, and doesn't wear glasses for hardly anything, but he sure doesn't spend that much time in front of a computer.

I know Keith usually wears glasses when he rides, but doesn't wear them all the time normally. I need glasses for reading and driving at night, but don't use them at the track (though I'm considering starting to). I have known a number of guys that have used contacts, even a few of the coaches do. Haven't heard many complaints, now and again a contact moves on them and it can be distracting, but that is about it.

Not sure if that helps or not, just some info for you.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks Cobie - the info regarding the contacts does help. At the track a few weeks ago, I started out wearing my sunglasses, but found they moved around too much and it was very distracting. I bought a tinted shield, so the sun should be less of a problem, but I think I might investigate the possibility of wearing contact lenses.

Jaybird - I don't know if I'm a good candidate for laser eye surgery, but I'll certainly ask.

Thanks!!

Dan

Thanks Cobie - the info regarding the contacts does help. At the track a few weeks ago, I started out wearing my sunglasses, but found they moved around too much and it was very distracting. I bought a tinted shield, so the sun should be less of a problem, but I think I might investigate the possibility of wearing contact lenses.

Jaybird - I don't know if I'm a good candidate for laser eye surgery, but I'll certainly ask.

Thanks!!

Dan

There have been a few coaches that have had the surgery, no ill effects that I know of.

CF

Thanks!!

Dan

There have been a few coaches that have had the surgery, no ill effects that I know of.

CF

I wear contacts all the time. I have, on occasion, had a contact come out cause i stopped blinkin. guess i was gettin really into the riding. i started getting some of the one day contacts for when i go to the track because they seem to stay hydrated much better than a week old pair of monthly or bi-monthly contacts. and i still make sure i have a few back ups in the pocket of my leathers so i don't lose any of that precious track time! i have wore glasses a time or two on the street i didn't like it at all. they seemed to move around a bit and i didn't like blurred objects from underneath or above my glasses when they moved. just opinion on the glasses, but would def. get one day contacts for the track(if you go w/ contacts).

I stopped wearing glasses at the track when I found I was looking over them when my head was down on the tank. I switched to disposablle contacts and they are well hydrated but I also found that I need to be careful with helmet ventilation as too much air movement over my eyes tends to dry them quickly. YRMV.

Kevin

I had lasix, and think it was one of the smarter things I've done in my life. Completely worth what it costs. I can't say enough about it.

BUT if your vision is 20/20, I don't know if any corrective surgery or devises would be necessary. Get your vision checked, and if you still have 20/20, you can't really get much better. Try to remember to ask for exercises you can do while at work, and take a couple minutes every hour or so to get your eyes away from the computer.

I wear contacts at the track. My vision is a bit off of 20/20. haha. For trackdays, I just open a new pair of contacts as I use Acuvue disposables. I haven't had any shifting issues. Actually, I've found they dry out quite nicely to stay firmly in place but are a pain to take out at the end of a long day.

I definitely prefer (edited, wrong choice earlier->) contacts as I get the maximum amount of visual input. With glasses, you may find yourself losing some detail in peripheral vision. Also the crossover line from glasses to surround vision not covered by glasses may be bothersome.

Street riding/Daily life = glasses (too lazy to wear contacts daily)

Track or all day riding = contacts

I've heard laser rocks, but I'm still not ready for it yet. My aunt had it done and she loves it but does report low light is a bit worse than before the work. Maybe someday.

My aunt had it done and she loves it but does report low light is a bit worse than before the work. Maybe someday.

How long ago? My wife had it done in 2000, and learned recently that there is something with pupil size that causes those rings around lights, and decreased night vision. She just had to get glasses. It's all changed now. I had mine done in 2002, and haven't had any problems. Definitely worth looking into, especially with all the advances.

My aunt had it done and she loves it but does report low light is a bit worse than before the work. Maybe someday.

How long ago? My wife had it done in 2000, and learned recently that there is something with pupil size that causes those rings around lights, and decreased night vision. She just had to get glasses. It's all changed now. I had mine done in 2002, and haven't had any problems. Definitely worth looking into, especially with all the advances.

She had it done in 2006. She didn't say anything about rings or other issues, only that her acuity at night felt slightly decreased.

Thanks for putting this info up, good to hear what you guys are doing, have done.

I tried and tried and tried to get contacts in, couldn't get it done, stuck with glasses.

C

I agree, Cobie - lots of good info here.

I'm motivated to make my next eye appointment now!!

Thanks to all!!

Thanks to all!!

Let us us know what you do and how it works.

CF

Thanks to all!!

CF

Thanks to all!!

CF