Spinning The Rear

Jaybird180

I've never experienced spinning the rear while vertical on my F4i and not sure if I've ever done it while leaned over either. I have however been hard enough on the gas to get to WOT (midrange rpm) prior to apex while holding it through exit and down the straight.

I realized that the fear of spinning the rear and highsiding is an obstacle to standard throttle control for me and so I was hoping that someone could tell me IF and how much throttle it takes to spin the rear while leaned over on sticky tires on a 600. I was hoping to get a description of the sensation if its possible to spin it up.

I realized that the fear of spinning the rear and highsiding is an obstacle to standard throttle control for me and so I was hoping that someone could tell me IF and how much throttle it takes to spin the rear while leaned over on sticky tires on a 600. I was hoping to get a description of the sensation if its possible to spin it up.

You should try the lean/slide bike at the School (not sure if it is in Level 2 or 3) because it is designed for exactly that purpose; it does show you how to spin up the rear in a reasonably controlled mannor. Your question asking "how much throttle..." is difficult to answer in a vacuum. Tire pressure, tire and track temperature, tire type and amount of wear, surface conditions, lean angle, engine size and type are all factors used in answering your question ...way too many vaiables to give you a simple answer.

Kevin

You should try the lean/slide bike at the School (not sure if it is in Level 2 or 3) because it is designed for exactly that purpose; it does show you how to spin up the rear in a reasonably controlled mannor. Your question asking "how much throttle..." is difficult to answer in a vacuum. Tire pressure, tire and track temperature, tire type and amount of wear, surface conditions, lean angle, engine size and type are all factors used in answering your question ...way too many vaiables to give you a simple answer.

Kevin

Can you answer 2 questions:

1-Can a 600 spin the rear

2-What does it feel like

In my meager experience with this sensation, I found that on successive laps I was able to get harder and harder on the gas, until I was able to roll the throttle to the stop as soon as I knew I was going to hit my apex. The tire bit instantly, bogged the engine a bit and drove forward sans drama.

I know it's not the right place to do it, but on East coming out of a small carousel in the summer (110+ degrees) I could get a small spin when I was straightening the bike back up. Nothing big happened, but like I said, it was a small spin. I didn't want to push it, because I've seen my share of highsides in the exact spot I spin the tire. I can't/don't do it anywhere else, but it's something I want to be able to do, just because of the awesomeness of it.

Why do you say it's not the right place to do it?

I've never experienced spinning the rear while vertical on my F4i and not sure if I've ever done it while leaned over either. I have however been hard enough on the gas to get to WOT (midrange rpm) prior to apex while holding it through exit and down the straight.

Hi Jay

I used to have a cbr600f which i believe is the UK version of your F4i, I now have a cbr600rr which I am unable to compare as my riding style has changed so much since joining this forum but both bikes are not that different on paper!

Since joining this forum the first thing I focused on was throttle control, it is still my main focus even when practicing everything else a big margin of my attention is on throttle control.

I know you will have read this but go over it again

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=540

especially 8. Being willing to experiment with roll-on rates. The right wrist often has its own idea of how quickly to roll-on. This is a bit scary to experiment with but worthwhile to conquer.

working on this gave me so much more exit speed than I thought possible and the back would not slide, at the time I had pilot power 2cts on my bike, and the harder I pushed the more they seemed to grip, I was getting to a point where I wanted it to slide, was getting more confident, rolling on faster all the time until it let go on a mountain road near my house, I just thought wow! it felt like the back stepped out loads but was probably not even an inch, That was a riding breakthrough for me, I have managed to repeat it a few times since so yes you can slide a 600 but you have to work up to it and find where the limit of grip is for yourself!

always obey the rules of throttle control and always make sure you are relaxed, then push through the barrier!

Hi Jay

I used to have a cbr600f which i believe is the UK version of your F4i, I now have a cbr600rr which I am unable to compare as my riding style has changed so much since joining this forum but both bikes are not that different on paper!

Since joining this forum the first thing I focused on was throttle control, it is still my main focus even when practicing everything else a big margin of my attention is on throttle control.

I know you will have read this but go over it again

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=540

especially 8. Being willing to experiment with roll-on rates. The right wrist often has its own idea of how quickly to roll-on. This is a bit scary to experiment with but worthwhile to conquer.

working on this gave me so much more exit speed than I thought possible and the back would not slide, at the time I had pilot power 2cts on my bike, and the harder I pushed the more they seemed to grip, I was getting to a point where I wanted it to slide, was getting more confident, rolling on faster all the time until it let go on a mountain road near my house, I just thought wow! it felt like the back stepped out loads but was probably not even an inch, That was a riding breakthrough for me, I have managed to repeat it a few times since so yes you can slide a 600 but you have to work up to it and find where the limit of grip is for yourself!

always obey the rules of throttle control and always make sure you are relaxed, then push through the barrier!

ACE, you're my hero! (big cheesy smile)

Not sure if it's the same, but I have experienced (in a now fond and distant memory) at ViR Patriot drifting at exit at WOT. Not sure if it slid or not, I didn't go back to check for darkies or anything. It was repeatable for the entire session, then I packed up and went home giggly inside. Now like a crackhead, I haven't been right since. And I've been constantly let down looking for that high again.

I cant wait to get on the slide bike at the school next year, I think everyone who is into motorcycle racing would like to be able to spin up the rear end with the control of the top guys in the world, I always like to watch riders like Gary Mcoy, when he raced 500cc no one could believe how much he slid his bike, you can see him in the motogp movie faster, that is an example of precise trottle control but he also had his fair share of crashes and they always seemed to be big ones.

I don't want to spin the rear...I just want to know where the limit is and what it feels like.

Jay;

The lean/slide bike will show you EXACTLY where that limit is and what it feels like when the rear wheel breaks loose.

Kevin

Regarding the slide bike, they always say "if you're ready." What constitutes a rider being ready to get on the bike?

Regarding the slide bike, they always say "if you're ready." What constitutes a rider being ready to get on the bike?

I was never asked if I was ready, just if I wanted to. If truth be told, the first time I tried it I couldn't break it free but the second time was a charm.

Kevin

I was never asked if I was ready, just if I wanted to. If truth be told, the first time I tried it I couldn't break it free but the second time was a charm.

Kevin

Slide bike: Keith updated the way the slide bike was being trained earlier this year, and we are getting an even better result. It normally comes at level 4, after we have gotten them through the other pieces that need to be in place. Sometimes a rider at a 2-day camp is ready for it, and if they are through the lean bike and ready, we'll get them on it there.

CF

2-What does it feel like

1) Yes see bellow

2) I assume it is fun as hell.

Okay, someone break it down for me: why is his wheel turned outside the corner?

How does the bike compensate for the slide?

CF

I'm guessing it's the rider and his weight distribution.

I was wondering how it comes out of the slide without launching someone over the bars. Especially when leaning the bike and the spinning is stopped. Is it just that slow of a retraction?

I assumed that when coming out of a slide it would be better to either ease off gently or not to ease off to allow the rear wheel to slow down to normal gradually where snatching the throttle off would cause sudden grip and a high side. Having never experienced it I cannot say for sure.

Now that's a great picture! You need to turn into the slide and stay on the gas to avoid a high side. The bike naturally does it all on its own. Now if you would chop the throttle or let the rear grip while moving sideways....goodnight Irene.

2-What does it feel like

1) Yes see bellow

2) I assume it is fun as hell.

Imagine driving a car, you would steer into a skid or it would spin off the road, on a bike the bike will automatically steer into the skid, this is why I said in my previous post that you must relax, thats very important as if you tense up on the bars while skidding you will be off because the bike needs to steer into the skid.

Working on level one drills will prepare you for a slide, which is possibly whe the school says (slide bike if you are ready) Throttle control and relaxing is the key!

I don't want to spin the rear or do an Aaron Yates or Garry McCoy. I just want to know where the limit is and what it feels like. If I know that then I know that every area up to that is free exploration.

Why dont you want to spin up the rear like those guys? If you could, would you? In motor bike riding all areas are free exploration, no one can tell you where the edge of the limits are, otherwise we would all be racers!

I don't want to spin the rear or do an Aaron Yates or Garry McCoy. I just want to know where the limit is and what it feels like. If I know that then I know that every area up to that is free exploration.

Why dont you want to spin up the rear like those guys? If you could, would you? In motor bike riding all areas are free exploration, no one can tell you where the edge of the limits are, otherwise we would all be racers!

I should have stated that spinning the rear wasn't a goal, but it would be great to have control over that aspect of riding...just like being good at wheelies and stoppies- more tools in the toolbag.