Target Fixation

Does anyone know where the forum button is to subscribe to a thread without replying?

good question, I don't. I'll shoot a note to the webmaster.

C

Does anyone know where the forum button is to subscribe to a thread without replying?

good question, I don't. I'll shoot a note to the webmaster.

C

We should move this question to another Forum section because it is going to get lost here but to answer it;

Go to the Forum Home page and click on the topic(s) you want to subscribe to [there are eleven in total]. Once opened, go to the "Forum Options" tab in the upper right hand corner and activate the drop down tool bar. "Subscribe to this Forum" is the third option.

Kevin

Here's a post I saw on the WERA board. Good series of pic's from this guys lowside at Tally. In the 2nd group of pic's you'll see how the guy behind him (#66) followed him right off the track.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=204544

bpez;

What I noticed is that he didn't let go of the bar once the bike was down...he's lucky he didn't get tossed over the high side. I don't remember where or in which one of the three books Keith wrote but I do remember the section on crashing; I follow it every time I find myself on the tarmac and from my experience, it works extremely well.

Kevin

In the 2nd group of pic's you'll see how the guy behind him (#66) followed him right off the track.

When someone shutters or wrecks in front of me (I've only had one guy wreck right in front of me) I have a moment when I sort of watch what's going on. Then I quickly refocus. Can't help it though.

I was cruising behind a friend who I am SLIGHTLY faster than. After following a while I wanted to pass so I could pick up my pace through a section I was a lot faster on. He was just fast enough to make it difficult for me to find an opening. We took a big left, followed by another fast left, then into a tight right, and he shuttered the bike, and I watched him for just a second before getting back on it and taking advantage of his small mishap. It's like watching a disaster. I can't turn away.

In the 2nd group of pic's you'll see how the guy behind him (#66) followed him right off the track.

When someone shutters or wrecks in front of me (I've only had one guy wreck right in front of me) I have a moment when I sort of watch what's going on. Then I quickly refocus. Can't help it though.

I was cruising behind a friend who I am SLIGHTLY faster than. After following a while I wanted to pass so I could pick up my pace through a section I was a lot faster on. He was just fast enough to make it difficult for me to find an opening. We took a big left, followed by another fast left, then into a tight right, and he shuttered the bike, and I watched him for just a second before getting back on it and taking advantage of his small mishap. It's like watching a disaster. I can't turn away.

I know what you mean hubbard. I've had a similar experience. I was behind one of the newer R6's. I could only keep up in his draft, but I knew that if I got in front, like sessions prior, I could leave him in the dust. We go down the straight and I catch his draft and was closing, but it was in the braking zone and I decided to back off. He hesitated turning in and I decided to go underneath. Just when I was about to, he turned in and showed me the outside. "I can make it around the outside", I thought and began going for it. He hesitated AGAIN. I decided to abandon and went off track while he turned in again and made T1.

I suppose if I didn't focus on him, I could have made T1 irrespective of what he was doing...I guess??? :unsure:

When someone shutters or wrecks in front of me ...and he shuttered the bike

Hub;

What does "shuttering" a bike mean?

Kevin

When my friend was turning the bike in the right hander, the bike wobbled so bad that I could see his handlebars wiggle. He had to straighten the bike out for a second and get off the gas to regain control.

I know what you mean hubbard. I've had a similar experience. I was behind one of the newer R6's. I could only keep up in his draft, but I knew that if I got in front, like sessions prior, I could leave him in the dust. We go down the straight and I catch his draft and was closing, but it was in the braking zone and I decided to back off. He hesitated turning in and I decided to go underneath. Just when I was about to, he turned in and showed me the outside. "I can make it around the outside", I thought and began going for it. He hesitated AGAIN. I decided to abandon and went off track while he turned in again and made T1.

I suppose if I didn't focus on him, I could have made T1 irrespective of what he was doing...I guess??? :unsure:

I think I would have smelled pretty bad after that, considering I would have pooped myself. I wasn't at the trackday, but my friend ran into another rider.

There is a SHARP, >90 degree turn heading into a straight, and Tony was behind another rider. They were picking the bikes up after the turn onto the straight, and Tony was going inside on a rider when the other rider suddenly turned into his path. Tony said he whacked the other guy so hard that it ended his day (broke some major parts). He said the other guys bike shut off and he decided to get out of everyones way by going across the entire track with riders behind him accelerating onto a straight.

I'm more cautious than most, and unless I'm riding with the racers during their warm up days, they're all faster than me, I always figure that they're going to hesitate, brake into fast corners, brake too soon, etc... It's given me some bad habits in certain parts of some tracks, but I have to ride my bike home, so I can't afford to wreck.

I always go wide when I'm behind someone planning to pass, and wait for them to show me where I'm going. If they go wide, it's all too easy to dip the bike in, and if they tighten up, I can go outside (usually motards). I don't race, so I can afford to be patient. If you're a racer you probably want to be able to find the better line.

Hub;

Kevin

When my friend was turning the bike in the right hander, the bike wobbled so bad that I could see his handlebars wiggle. He had to straighten the bike out for a second and get off the gas to regain control.

Is it easier to control a tankslapper on the gas or off?

Hub;

Kevin

Thats a good question, I have only had a full on serious stop to stop tank slapper twice before, both times happened at the exit of a turn and I just kept on the throttle and drove out of it, I was told before that by chopping the throttle it drives your front tyre into the ground making it harder to recover whereas if you give it more throttle you will lighten the front, effectively wheelieing the bike making it easier to regain control!

Hub;

Kevin

Thats a good question, I have only had a full on serious stop to stop tank slapper twice before, both times happened at the exit of a turn and I just kept on the throttle and drove out of it, I was told before that by chopping the throttle it drives your front tyre into the ground making it harder to recover whereas if you give it more throttle you will lighten the front, effectively wheelieing the bike making it easier to regain control!

Sounds like you answered the question to me.

The bike will typically stop shaking if the front is no longer on the ground--sometimes guys skimming the front can cause it to shake, if the rider doesn't let it correct.

I have always stayed on the throttle and let it work it self out.

TANK SLAPPER!! Forgot the terminology.

Famous Isle of Man tank slapper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUBwCX_Mv2Q...feature=related

Yeah, I don't consider myself a wuss, but I'll just pass on the stuff where doing 100+ a big error (or mechanical, or another rider) could put you into a WALL.

TANK SLAPPER!! Forgot the terminology.

Famous Isle of Man tank slapper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUBwCX_Mv2Q...feature=related

Yeah, I don't consider myself a wuss, but I'll just pass on the stuff where doing 100+ a big error (or mechanical, or another rider) could put you into a WALL.

Roadracing such as the TT in the isle of man, Irish roadracing such as the northwest 200, is very dangerous for the riders and the spectators, but it is also very exciting to watch, the strange thing about it is they really are risking their lifes every time they race but get nowhere near the prize money or recognition of the circuit racers!