Stoner In Question For '09

Did you guys hear about this--Casey's wrist is still bothering him (worse in fact) '09 season might be in question, wow, hope that doesn't happen!

:blink:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/motorspor...4632809582.html

This could be really bad for Moto GP, with Kawasaki quitting and now this, I wonder if Ducati would get another rider for the year otherwise it will only be a 16 rider grid!

Did you guys hear about this--Casey's wrist is still bothering him (worse in fact) '09 season might be in question, wow, hope that doesn't happen!

:blink:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/motorspor...4632809582.html

My mom would say that he's playing possum. (I hope so)

That's a tough one. Being involved in the medical field I see and deal with a lot of things like this. Meaning procedures that are suppose to work one way and go flawless yet still cause more problems then anticipated. Our bodies are the most complicated machine out there and although we know a lot about it and can do a lot to repair it. We still, in reality have only scratched the surface on what there is to know and how to do it. I truly hope he is playing possum but won't be surprised if it is for real either.

He's going to be on the track. Everyone says things like this about the smallest injury. It's like a football player being questionable for Sunday. Plus it works in Stoners favor, because if he doesn't do so well he has something to blame besides his riding. All athletes do it. I hope he is on the track, though.

He's going to be on the track. Everyone says things like this about the smallest injury. It's like a football player being questionable for Sunday. Plus it works in Stoners favor, because if he doesn't do so well he has something to blame besides his riding. All athletes do it. I hope he is on the track, though.

I dont think Stoner needs to make excuses, he's is right up there with the best in the world, he has proven himself over and over again, so i dont believe that is an issue. Im sure if the pain is intense before the race, he'll get a quarterzone injection to see him through.

I dont think Stoner needs to make excuses, he's is right up there with the best in the world, he has proven himself over and over again, so i dont believe that is an issue. Im sure if the pain is intense before the race, he'll get a quarterzone injection to see him through.

Not even close. Stoner proving himself would have included him successfully defending his MotoGP title. He had the bike to do it with. The problem is that he didn't have the mental ability. He had plenty of things to blame that didn't include himself.

He's only on his fourth year in MotoGP. He hasn't proven anything yet.

Not even close. Stoner proving himself would have included him successfully defending his MotoGP title. He had the bike to do it with. The problem is that he didn't have the mental ability. He had plenty of things to blame that didn't include himself.

Thats a bit harsh hub, you are clearly not Stoners biggest fan and nor am I but no one can take away from him his achievements over the last 3 years! The amount of poles and race wins he has achieved is off the chart! You would be a tough boss to satisfy if you say he hasn't proven himself yet!

WOW, that's pretty harsh! I think having one Moto GP Championship is proving yourself enough. Lets face it he is racing with one of the all time greats,(Rossi). I just read 5 minutes ago that he has the fastest lap times,(ahead of Rossi) at Qatar.

WOW, that's pretty harsh! I think having one Moto GP Championship is proving yourself enough. Lets face it he is racing with one of the all time greats,(Rossi). I just read 5 minutes ago that he has the fastest lap times,(ahead of Rossi) at Qatar.

Fastest by over half a second, did very few laps and was testing a new swingarm!

Dani Pedrosa had a bad crash causing further injury and is returning to Barcelona to get checked out!

Also looks like Suzuki have improved loads!

MotoGP Official Night Test at Qatar - Day Two, best times

1. Casey Stoner, Ducati Marlboro Team - 1'57.139 (37)

2. Valentino Rossi, Fiat Yamaha Team - 1'57.747 (51)

3. Colin Edwards, Tech3 Yamaha - 1'57.817 (41)

4. Andrea Dovizioso, Repsol Honda - 1'57.879 (60)

5. Chris Vermeulen, Suzuki MotoGP - 1'58.018 (24)

6. Loris Capirossi, Suzuki MotoGP - 1'58.264 (42)

7. Jorge Lorenzo, Fiat Yamaha Team - 1'58.400 (63)

8. Alex De Angelis, San Carlo Honda Gresini - 1'58.441 (53)

9. Nicky Hayden, Ducati Marlboro Team - 1'58.577 (54)

10. Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda - 1'58.619 (28)

11. Randy De Puniet, LCR Honda MotoGP - 1'58.936 (55)

12. Toni Elias, San Carlo Honda Gresini - 1'59.036 (56)

13. Yuki Takahashi, Scot Racing Team - 1'59.153 (65)

14. Marco Melandri, Hayate Racing Team - 1'59.195 (63)

15. Niccolo Canepa, Pramac Racing - 1'59.266 (36)

16. Mika Kallio, Pramac Racing - 1'59.764 (48)

17. James Toseland, Tech3 Yamaha - 2'00.234 (51)

Fastest by over half a second, did very few laps and was testing a new swingarm!

Dani Pedrosa had a bad crash causing further injury and is returning to Barcelona to get checked out!

I guess the article I read that said Nicky was at the top of the time chart was outdated. :unsure:

Colin up in 3rd....impressive comeback Colin!

I guess the article I read that said Nicky was at the top of the time chart was outdated. :unsure:

Nicky was fastest on the first night of testing but it was a wet track so the times are a bit off, over 2mins and only 11 guys tested, here are the results to tonights 3rd and final test

Qatar Night Test, Day 3

1. Casey Stoner, Ducati Marlboro Team - 1'55.744 (31)

2. Jorge Lorenzo, Fiat Yamaha Team - 1'56.733 (82)

3. Valentino Rossi, Fiat Yamaha Team - 1'56.972 (75)

4. Chris Vermeulen, Suzuki MotoGP - 1'57.224 (70)

5. Nicky Hayden, Ducati Marlboro Team - 1'57.225 (53)

6. Loris Capirossi, Suzuki MotoGP - 1'57.253 (42)

7. Randy De Puniet, LCR Honda MotoGP - 1'57.401 (77)

8. Andrea Dovizioso, Repsol Honda - 1'57.449 (74)

9. Colin Edwards, Monster Yamaha Tech3 - 1'57.515 (46)

10. Alex De Angelis, San Carlo Honda Gresini - 1'57.591 (61)

11. Toni Elias, San Carlo Honda Gresini - 1'57.804 (66)

12. Mika Kallio, Pramac Racing - 1'57.938 (54)

13. Niccolo Canepa, Pramac Racing - 1'57.946 (50)

14. Yuki Takahashi, Scot Racing Team - 1'58.412 (61)

15. James Toseland, Monster Yamaha Tech3 - 1'58.786 (51)

16. Marco Melandri, Hayate Racing Team - 1'58.851 (73)

Nicky was fastest on the first night of testing but it was a wet track so the times are a bit off, over 2mins and only 11 guys tested, here are the results to tonights 3rd and final test

Qatar Night Test, Day 3

1. Casey Stoner, Ducati Marlboro Team - 1'55.744 (31)

2. Jorge Lorenzo, Fiat Yamaha Team - 1'56.733 (82)

3. Valentino Rossi, Fiat Yamaha Team - 1'56.972 (75)

4. Chris Vermeulen, Suzuki MotoGP - 1'57.224 (70)

5. Nicky Hayden, Ducati Marlboro Team - 1'57.225 (53)

6. Loris Capirossi, Suzuki MotoGP - 1'57.253 (42)

7. Randy De Puniet, LCR Honda MotoGP - 1'57.401 (77)

8. Andrea Dovizioso, Repsol Honda - 1'57.449 (74)

9. Colin Edwards, Monster Yamaha Tech3 - 1'57.515 (46)

10. Alex De Angelis, San Carlo Honda Gresini - 1'57.591 (61)

11. Toni Elias, San Carlo Honda Gresini - 1'57.804 (66)

12. Mika Kallio, Pramac Racing - 1'57.938 (54)

13. Niccolo Canepa, Pramac Racing - 1'57.946 (50)

14. Yuki Takahashi, Scot Racing Team - 1'58.412 (61)

15. James Toseland, Monster Yamaha Tech3 - 1'58.786 (51)

16. Marco Melandri, Hayate Racing Team - 1'58.851 (73)

Glad to see Melandri running this "private" Kaw, but too bad Hopper is out.

Wow...(shakes head), you cant be serious man, Stoner has more than proven himself, the guy won the MOTO GP Championship in '07 !!!!...what more do you need to do? He has gone toe to toe with arguably the best rider the world . As for not winning back to back titles, all it takes is to not finish a race or have a mechanical issue and not place well and your championship hopes are out the window..or at the very least your playing catch up. I'll put my money on Stoner this year...Rossi's still the man, but im sure Casey has the minerals to run with him.

Wow...(shakes head), you cant be serious man, Stoner has more than proven himself, the guy won the MOTO GP Championship in '07 !!!!...what more do you need to do? He has gone toe to toe with arguably the best rider the world . As for not winning back to back titles, all it takes is to not finish a race or have a mechanical issue and not place well and your championship hopes are out the window..or at the very least your playing catch up. I'll put my money on Stoner this year...Rossi's still the man, but im sure Casey has the minerals to run with him.

Hey guys...isn't this a Cornering Forum? I suggest that we let Stoner and Rossi (and Pedrosa, Hayden, Lorenzo, Edwards et al) settle it on the track.

Kevin

Hey guys...isn't this a Cornering Forum? I suggest that we let Stoner and Rossi (and Pedrosa, Hayden, Lorenzo, Edwards et al) settle it on the track.

Kevin

Kevin,

I like how you default to positivity in all of your postings. You have been an example for many on this forum of civility, humility and admirable conduct. However, I respectfully disagree with referre-ing this particular discussion. Why?

It is quite often that discussions (heated debates, arguments, whatever you call them) may result in small, seemingly insignificant pieces of information that would not have otherwise come out, unless the person(s) are being pressed.

Speaking for myself, it's not enough for me to know that so and so won the race; I HAVE to know why. I want to know the ingredients to making a champion; in motorcycling and in life. I have personally received much by taking a second review of words spoken by someone that had an opposing view on topics (and we know I've had some zingers here/there :blink: ). Those discussions have also allowed me an opportunity to continue to become better as a communicator; after all, talking about motorcycling wasn't as much an easy thing to do before Keith Code provided a vocabulary, framework and accompanying philosophy to help us to do that.

Lastly, I believe that the posters involved have shown a level of maturity wherein they can be trusted with a wider berth, and that IF they do go askew, an opportunity to police themselves.

Thank you for an opportunity to express my viewpoint. I am a humble student of the art.

-JDM

It is quite often that discussions (heated debates, arguments, whatever you call them) may result in small, seemingly insignificant pieces of information that would not have otherwise come out, unless the person(s) are being pressed.

Thank you for an opportunity to express my viewpoint. I am a humble student of the art.

-JDM

JB;

Your kind words are appreciated and your viewpoint is certainly welcome. As to my recommendation, I offered the suggestion to let the riders settle this because of the particular dynamic of the exchanges; one that no one can prove or disprove right now because it is all opinion.

I had the good fortune to talk to Keith and a number of the coaches at the Laguna Seca school this week and the Rossi pass of Stoner in the corkscrew during USGP last year was part of some dialogues. There were different opinions of what happened at that point but in the end it was just that - opinion. The simple fact is Rossi passed Stoner with a move that could have been from purposeful aggressive riding or simply because he went in too hot and had no choice but to cut inside Stoner to stay on the track.

The fact that Stoner ran wide/off exiting T11 a lap or so after "the pass" added much to the discussions. Some of the coaches who were at the GP noticed many of the foreign riders who had limited exposure to riding Laguna Seca consistently missed the corkscrew during practice (including Rossi) so it is equally possible that one of the two "opinions" listed above are possible [along with another half dozen that I didn't list]. In the end, what we know is Rossi and Stoner changed positions numerous times that day and that Rossi won. Althought the discussions were fascinating, they were inconclusive because they relied upon opinion to frame.

The suggestion of letting it go to the riders is because the season is upon us and they're the ones who will answer this question anyway.

Kevin

Hi Guys (Spooky, JBird, Hubbard, Kevin, et al)

The tone of an e-mail (or forum post) can end up being different than intended. One could say something to a friend in jest, and mean it very lightly, no big deal and the 2 would laugh and joke about it, where the same thing can come across differently in writing. In reading the posts above (Spooky and Hubbard's exchanges), I can see how it could look a little harsh, or in reality not be at all.

Since we had let one poster slide too much on this point a while back, to the detriment of the forum (for sure there were guys that left due to it), we look at this fairly closely. I like a spirited debate and want to hear what you guys think about riding. I also want to make it so people that read won't feel like they are going to get smacked down if someone else on the forum doesn't agree with them.

Best,

Cobie

Fair enough Cobie, i agree with everything you just said. I was in no way being aggressive in my response to Hub, i totally respect his or anyone else's opinion...next time i'll add a ''smiley'' to my response...... ;)

Cool mate, sounds good. Glad you are up here, keep letting us know what you think.

CF