Thunderbolt

I'm signed up for a 2-day at Thunderbolt in NJ. I've looked at the "track map" on their website - the track looks like a snooze. Do any of you have any comments about the track?

Haven't been on that one yet, we did Lightning last year--great condition, very nice facility, heard good thigns about it.

CF

I'm signed up for a 2-day at Thunderbolt in NJ. I've looked at the "track map" on their website - the track looks like a snooze. Do any of you have any comments about the track?

Haven't been on that one yet, we did Lightning last year--great condition, very nice facility, heard good thigns about it.

CF

NJMP is my local track which just opened last summer. I haven't met a person yet who doesn't love Thunderbolt including me. I'm signed up for Lightning on 5/11 for my first time there. We normally run with the 2nd chicane in at Thunderbolt. Not sure how CSS will run, but I'm sure you'll love it. Guy's were running around 1.28 hitting 160 on the straight....I'm a lot slower at 1.49 but have great form....LOL

The track map doesn't show the elevation changes. Slight, but enough to ensure a good time. You'll have a blast!

Haven't signed up yet, but am trying to work it into my schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

Wrong! We just completed a week at Thunderbolt and it was a hit with all the coaches, far as I could tell. Which 2-day camp did you sign up for, the one in May or the one in August? If you did in fact take the school that just finished this past week (May 13-14), let us all know how you ended up liking Thunderbolt.

It would be nice if there were 1 or 2 more left hand turns, but aside from that it had a great mix of elements: fast turns, elevation, blind rise, excellent facilities that were nicely maintained.

Feedback from any of the students who were with us at Thunderbolt?

Kristi

I attended a class on 5/15 there (level 1) and thought the track was fantastic. Full disclosure, it was my first time on a track so I probably would have been impressed with just about anything !

I do agree with Glamazon in that a few more left turns would have been appreciated (I think that might be my weaker side too).

Having said that the track was in excellent condition. Super Smooth and there were a good number of really interesting turns.

Turns 3 (S turns-Thank you for the QTs lesson) and then 5 to 9 were my favorites.

1,2 and 4 were pretty cool too. I think you get the picture. If you don't, go try it out but be prepared to be in a very good mood for a few days afterwards :lol:

We normally run with the 2nd chicane in at Thunderbolt.

Can anyone tell us how the decision is made regarding layouts at tracks like Thunderbolt? The was a chicane option that is right after the main straight that was by passed in the Configuration CSS used last week. I have seen a video where this chichane is incorporated and it added another R/L/R series of quick turns. Don't get me wrong, I thought that Thuderbolt configuration we rode was a blast...just curious how the decision is made.

Kevin

Can anyone tell us how the decision is made regarding layouts at tracks like Thunderbolt? The was a chicane option that is right after the main straight that was by passed in the Configuration CSS used last week. I have seen a video where this chichane is incorporated and it added another R/L/R series of quick turns. Don't get me wrong, I thought that Thuderbolt configuration we rode was a blast...just curious how the decision is made.

Kevin

The first chicane is too close to the pit on lane. With only the 2nd chicane in, it allows the line to stay on the outside of turn 1 so people can enter the track safely on the inside.

Kevin

The first chicane is too close to the pit on lane. With only the 2nd chicane in, it allows the line to stay on the outside of turn 1 so people can enter the track safely on the inside.

Bpez;

Thanks for the lucid answer...it makes sense now that I reflect back on the layout we ran.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

NJMP is my home tack and feel really lucky to have it. I have run Thunderbolt like 15+ track days and a CSS and it just gets better and better. It is pretty technical and even after 15 days I still have trouble with some of the transitions (which isn't saying much since I am pretty much a noob). On top of it..there is a 1/2 mile straight..and more advanced dudes are doing 150+ down it :rolleyes: The quick transitions to the straight are a blast and the two tight turns before that too

Of the tracks I have been on (and that isn't alot) it is clearly hands down the best...may be close to a universal consensus for people I have talked to at the track..and that is saying alot for it being in NJ lol

Anyone who does it will have a blast i think.

(and Lightning is pretty fun too :rolleyes: )

• 3 weeks later...

15 times at T-bolt, I couldn't be more jealous. Conversely Lightning is just not the place for me. Granted I have a long way to go but I found the track to be much too fast to enjoy its technical aspects (or lack thereof). The front of the track is fun until you make the left hand turn under the overpass. They should really use an airfence or similar under it by the way.

Into the Lightbulb (can't recall the exact name) is much too fast exiting into the front stretch. Saw some really nasty wrecks there last week.

Hey T-bolt twice this week for me. Super excited.

Just hit VIR yesterday. The word is getting out about Thunderbolt. Talked to a lot of the southern boys that were making plans to head north this year to try out Thunderbolt. Kinda like the reverse...we travel 8 hrs south to hit VIR which we all view as "worth the trip"....only the opposite.

• 1 month later...

I just got done with level 1 CSS yesterday at Thunderbolt and it was a blast! I'm really looking forward to doing track days there in the future. It has some nice 2nd gear tight sections (at least 2nd gear at my pace, maybe 3rd for others) as well as some great high speed sweepers. I'm really excited to go see with the AMA pros can do on the track this year!