Downshifting Into A Corner.

I'm doing another trackday Sunday, and what I've been working on recently is braking before a corner and THEN downshifting. I've read that is the proper way to do it. I am horrible at blipping, and haven't worked on it in quite some time.

What I do now is downshift and start braking at the same time, and I release the clutch to let the engine do some of the braking work, and then corner. I know it makes me consistent. My times are within a second or two every time. I also know it's wrong. AND I suck at setting a good corner speed.

What I've started trying is just braking before cornering, then downshifting later and it is getting more comfortable. I brake hard, release just enough clutch to make the shaft spin, and shift real quick. Is that an alright practice? I do have a slipper clutch, but I don't think it does anything in this instant. My question is; is that making enough spin to shift without hurting the engine, or do I have to blip? It sounds OK, no clanking or bumping, but that still doesn't make it good practice. It may make my consistent laps change for a while, but as some have read before, I have trouble setting my corner speed, and I think working on this aspect of it will help me improve.

I'm doing another trackday Sunday, and what I've been working on recently is braking before a corner and THEN downshifting. I've read that is the proper way to do it. I am horrible at blipping, and haven't worked on it in quite some time.

What I do now is downshift and start braking at the same time, and I release the clutch to let the engine do some of the braking work, and then corner. I know it makes me consistent. My times are within a second or two every time. I also know it's wrong. AND I suck at setting a good corner speed.

What I've started trying is just braking before cornering, then downshifting later and it is getting more comfortable. I brake hard, release just enough clutch to make the shaft spin, and shift real quick. Is that an alright practice? I do have a slipper clutch, but I don't think it does anything in this instant. My question is; is that making enough spin to shift without hurting the engine, or do I have to blip? It sounds OK, no clanking or bumping, but that still doesn't make it good practice. It may make my consistent laps change for a while, but as some have read before, I have trouble setting my corner speed, and I think working on this aspect of it will help me improve.

Hub;

You have to find a way into a School and soon. Since you are so dialed into your bike, sign up for Level I on your bike. Your track days have to cost something don't they? Once you get formal instruction (classroom followed by track riding with your coach) you can work on the techniques that you are trying to learn the hard way -

Once you attend you will understand so much more including that maximum turn entry speed has alot more components than just mastery of clutch/shifting/braking or end of brake markers...you have to trust me on this.

Kevin

Hub;

You have to find a way into a School and soon. Since you are so dialed into your bike, sign up for Level I on your bike. Your track days have to cost something don't they? Once you get formal instruction (classroom followed by track riding with your coach) you can work on the techniques that you are trying to learn the hard way -

Once you attend you will understand so much more including that maximum turn entry speed has alot more components than just mastery of clutch/shifting/braking or end of brake markers...you have to trust me on this.

Kevin

I'm trying to get into a $300 class locally for the time being. It's a really small track, and the instructors can run across the infield and stop us as we make mistakes. It's limited though, and I'm sending my forms tomorrow. I think it's in the end of May (HOT!!!). If I can get to CSS I ride the same bike they train on. I make good money, but lately if it's not one thing it's another. I'm starting to get my hopes up for later this year, but I'm sure something else will come up.

Hub;

Kevin

I'm trying to get into a $300 class locally for the time being. It's a really small track, and the instructors can run across the infield and stop us as we make mistakes. It's limited though, and I'm sending my forms tomorrow. I think it's in the end of May (HOT!!!). If I can get to CSS I ride the same bike they train on. I make good money, but lately if it's not one thing it's another. I'm starting to get my hopes up for later this year, but I'm sure something else will come up.

If you save up another 90 you can sign up for the Streets of Willow Springs in June...and for that 90 more dollars is the track instruction at Chandler anything like it is with CSS?

I have had very bad instruction from Track CLubs but I have never had a bad experience at a CSS event.

...just a thought.

The local one is on a Saturday. I work every Saturday. And with CCS, I know I'll get the good training, but going to Willow also includes commute, food, lodging, getting the time off (I've already given my schedule for the entire summer), renting a bike, or renting something to get my bike to the school. Firebird is literally down the road. 8 miles I think. Down the road I could have just told them what I wanted and gotten live feedback about what I'm doing.

Hey Hubbard,

You don't have to be at the track to practice the "blip". I brake and blip at the same time and sometime just blip to scrape a little speed off for setting my corner speed for entry into a fast corner. There is a nice flow and rhythm that you can get into once you learn the blip...try it, you'll like it.

Check out some videos on line. There are many guys out there who have camera's pointed toward the rider. You can catch the blip and braking into a corner...Good luck.

Hey Hubbard,

You don't have to be at the track to practice the "blip". I brake and blip at the same time and sometime just blip to scrape a little speed off for setting my corner speed for entry into a fast corner. There is a nice flow and rhythm that you can get into once you learn the blip...try it, you'll like it.

Check out some videos on line. There are many guys out there who have camera's pointed toward the rider. You can catch the blip and braking into a corner...Good luck.

Thanks. I was trying it, and thought I was getting real good at it, but on my wife's bike, it's so sloppy. I have never tried it on the track because I'm so bad at it on the street. I'll just hop on her bike and work on it.

Just so I understand, with the new sequence you are trying, are you pulling in the clutch before you brake and holding it in the whole time you are braking?

Just so I understand, with the new sequence you are trying, are you pulling in the clutch before you brake and holding it in the whole time you are braking?

No. I brakebrakebrake..... brake, clutch, downshift, release the clutch just enough to get the engine spinning while still braking, clutch, downshift, corner. Wow. It sounds hard now that I'm writing it, but it honestly takes no thought at all, and that's what I like about it. If it's OK for the engine. I have a slipper clutch, so I'm obviously not going to have any back end chatter no matter what I do, but I'm thinking about the tranny (related to engines, not a chick with a SHUT YO' MOUTH).

Once I get to my brake point, it's just squeeze the brake, and the clutch comes later either before the next downshift or corner.

My understanding is slipper clutch or no, one can still over rev an engine. Hub--you brake first and scrub some speed off, good idea--also, one doesn't have to blip the engine as high while doing it that way.

CF

My understanding is slipper clutch or no, one can still over rev an engine. Hub--you brake first and scrub some speed off, good idea--also, one doesn't have to blip the engine as high while doing it that way.

CF

right on point. you want your rpm to work for you. the longer you wait to downshift, you loose a lot of rpms and momentum. but certainly you dont want to use your engine to do the braking by itself either. with a slipper, you dont have to blip at all.. all you have to do is kick all your downshift while slowing down and then ease of the clutch up til your leaned over.

even without a slipper, you can just bang downshifts as well granted you match the revs using your left hand with the speed.