New Aussie

Hey guys,

I've signed up. My wife just gave me a voucher for Aus CSS tonight for my birthday. We both ride. I have a CBR600F4i and she has a 2008 Ducati Monster 696. Now the skiting (the voucher and my wife's ride) is out of the way...

Couple of questions. I've never done a CSS before. I have done the Stayupright Intermediate and Advanced I and Advanced II (braking and cornering).

Now, I know I am not Rossi - the first sign of failure is overconfidence. It's almost a sure sign that you're a know-all bastard too!

But I'm wondering if doing Level 1 of CSS will be a 'step back' from the Stay Upright training I've done? I don't want to start an us v them argument, so just a factual thing would be good. I know about corner fixation, eye position, body movement, smoothness and so on. Or... is it just different? What should I expect?

Any tips and stuff welcome.

Hey Dids,

Welcome mate, I haven't done any of the stay upright courses so can't advise you on comparisons between the two but I doubt doing the level one CSS will be a step back (I had a ball). Do you intend doing your course in August? If so I might see you out there.

But I'm wondering if doing Level 1 of CSS will be a 'step back' from the Stay Upright training I've done? I don't want to start an us v them argument, so just a factual thing would be good. I know about corner fixation, eye position, body movement, smoothness and so on. Or... is it just different? What should I expect?

Dids;

Your question pops up from time to time here and no one can tell you that you will not be taking a "'step back'" but I can tell you that everyone starts at Level I bar none. There is a very well defined approach that Keith Code has perfected for thirty years now and each level builds upon the previous one; to skip a level will cause a student to miss part of the foundation they build so no one gets a pass to a higher Level.

Having said that I know from personal experience that not all schools are created equal. When I went to get a racing license from a sanctioned racing school (not CSS) I asked if I could take the advanced course and was told the same thing. The basic course was so fundamental that I truely learned nothing beyond what the meatball flag meant and that yellow flag with red stripes means there is something affecting traction and if it was pointed vertically then it was probably raining.

Many here have completed all four levels and some have returned multiple times so you will find a somewhat biased view on this Forum so you need to take these comments with a grain of salt.

Since you are registered please let us know your thoughts after you finish Level I.

Kevin

Hi Dids,

Firstly, Welcome! Thanks for taking the time to sign up to the forum. Hope it becomes a useful resource for you (and a source of a few laughs too).

This question does come up from time to time as Kevin mentioned. I have found it's usually when the term "Level 1" has been slightly mis-interpreted as "beginner" or "entry level". Level 1 would probably be better defined as something like "The Start". The info in level 1 is no more or no less advanced than the following levels, it's just where we need to start in order to develop a riders full understanding.

Does that make sense?

I also haven't done the Stay Upright courses, so I can't say how the CSS course compares. Perhaps there's another Aussie on here who's done that course and may be able to give you a comparison.

Look forward to turning that voucher into a booking for you!

Howdy. Another "New To The Forum" post was started recently by markSTer. Sounds like he's been to a couple schools, and could possibly help in this discussion. As Kevin said, please do come back and let us know what you thought. I've skipped lots of local schools, and am putting all that money together to attend a two day in Vegas, hopefully at the end of October.

And thanks to Adam for explaining it the way he did. I never thought it was a "beginner" level, and you've really clarified.

Hey guys,

I've signed up. My wife just gave me a voucher for Aus CSS tonight for my birthday. We both ride. I have a CBR600F4i and she has a 2008 Ducati Monster 696. Now the skiting (the voucher and my wife's ride) is out of the way...

Couple of questions. I've never done a CSS before. I have done the Stayupright Intermediate and Advanced I and Advanced II (braking and cornering).

Now, I know I am not Rossi - the first sign of failure is overconfidence. It's almost a sure sign that you're a know-all bastard too!

Any tips and stuff welcome.

Hi Dids and welcome,

The other guys have already replied, but to add my 2 cents, I think of level 1 more like Adam does--one has to be good at this stuff, it's the vital stuff of top riding.

A few years back, Keith was coaching a world champion. He worked with him at a few races on one of the Level 1 techniques, and though that champion had had a "dry spell" he went on went on to win another world title the following year, WSB no less?

Anyone know who it is?

CF

Colin Edwards?

He doesn't ride the CSS way, certainly ain't got the body position from us anyway.

I'm thinking maybe Toseland actually.

Bullet

Colin Edwards?

He doesn't ride the CSS way, certainly ain't got the body position from us anyway.

Bullet

Toseland took the school as a teenager at Cadwell.

OK, here's a hint: mid-90's won his 2nd world title.

CF

I was going to say Troy Corser but he won AMA and then WSB in 96. So maybe Foggy although I don't see him taking coaching very well!

Hi Dids,

I'm from Canberra too and have just joined the site today.

I've done Superbike Schools Level One, Two and Three and, prior to doing the Superbike Schools, I had done the Stay Upright Cornering and Braking Course and their Advanced Course so I can give you an opinion.

Basically, in comparing the courses, I don't think it's a question of going 'backward'. Each of the courses simply enhances the level of detail and understanding that you have about the various topics that are covered.

From my personal experience, riding a motorcycle competently is a system; ie, it's not a set of separate items that, once you've learn't one you tick that off and move onto the next one. They've all got to work together and the better you understand how they work together the better you'll ride.

Therefore, even if some of the topics overlap, the knowledge that's imparted to you simply enhances your understanding of how it all fits together.

I highly recommend all of the courses. You won't be dissappointed.

Cheers mate and we'll all be keen to hear your thoughts after you've done the Level One.

Colin Edwards?

Bullet

CF

Like has been posted, Fogarty, not in a million years way too arrogant for help. Must be Doug Polen then, I know he's done loads with Keith.

Bullet

Colin Edwards?

Bullet

CF

Like has been posted, Fogarty, not in a million years way too arrogant for help. Must be Doug Polen then, I know he's done loads with Keith.

Bullet

Not Polen, pretty sure Keith hasn't done anything with him.

OK, here is another hint: his first world title was on a 250.

CF