Hi Guys, Im new to the forum, from Australia, and just thought I'd say hi. I'm doing CSS in late Oct this year, but first I'm doing a ride day in a couple of weeks. I have one quick question..... when coutersteerin do you continue the push the whole way through the corner to the apex or get on the inside peg a bit more? just want to get it right in my head before my first ride day @ Phillip Island...

Cheers

Hi Guys, Im new to the forum, from Australia, and just thought I'd say hi. I'm doing CSS in late Oct this year, but first I'm doing a ride day in a couple of weeks. I have one quick question..... when coutersteerin do you continue the push the whole way through the corner to the apex or get on the inside peg a bit more? just want to get it right in my head before my first ride day @ Phillip Island...

Cheers

Hey Ozblade

Welcome to the forum mate, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the course with Adam and the guys from OZ come October.

You definitely have a misunderstanding there about countersteering and I'd suggest you possibly get Twist of Wrist 2 to provide you with some more details on how it works, what you need to do to steer. You actually countersteer already to some degree, as it's the only way to turn a bike, but clearly you're understanding of what, why and how needs some more detail so that you're clear.

You will cover this in some more depth on your level 1 day, so if you don't get the book, you'll have to wait till then to find out a bit more.

Bullet

Thanks Bullet,

With the amount of info on the net and trying to decipher the differences of opinion, thought I'd go straight to the experts, thanks for the help.

Howdy. If you post this question in the Cornering part of CSS forum, I'm sure you'll get plenty of response. We love questions, and you'll learn plenty on this site. The books are the greatest place to start, as Bullet said. Any questions about the book will gladly be clarified on this site as well.

Thanks Bullet,

With the amount of info on the net and trying to decipher the differences of opinion, thought I'd go straight to the experts, thanks for the help.

Good question, let us know if you get it answered from the info in the book (Twist 1 has info on this also).

If not, bring it up the guys happily chew on this kind of thing :)

Best,

Cobie

Cheers

Dear Ozfireblade,

At CSS level one , they'll tell you that if you keep pushing the bar when countersteering, you will eventually put the bike on its side. Which is not what you want.

If you were to push the bar, set the lean angle, keep constant speed,then take your hands off the bar, if you had enough room you'd just do one big giant circle, of course assuming that the throttle position was set constant (bit hard with no hands.) The lean angle would remain constant without any further steering input.

You may think you're pushing that bar to countersteer like mad, but your survival reactions are subconsciously getting you to resist by the same amount on the other bar!

Becoming aware of countersteering allows you to properly control the lean angle of the bike. You are already doing it, as others have said, because this is how motorcycles and pushbikes turn. Practice it, drill it and use it, especially during "stressful situations" and you will have a new level of control over the bike.

Good luck!

db

Cheers

Dear Ozfireblade,

At CSS level one , they'll tell you that if you keep pushing the bar when countersteering, you will eventually put the bike on its side. Which is not what you want.

If you were to push the bar, set the lean angle, keep constant speed,then take your hands off the bar, if you had enough room you'd just do one big giant circle, of course assuming that the throttle position was set constant (bit hard with no hands.) The lean angle would remain constant without any further steering input.

You may think you're pushing that bar to countersteer like mad, but your survival reactions are subconsciously getting you to resist by the same amount on the other bar!

Becoming aware of countersteering allows you to properly control the lean angle of the bike. You are already doing it, as others have said, because this is how motorcycles and pushbikes turn. Practice it, drill it and use it, especially during "stressful situations" and you will have a new level of control over the bike.

Good luck!

db

Thanks again guys, I've gone back to the basics and started getting that right before I worry about the other stuff..Who'd have thought learn to walk before you run :rolleyes: . TOTW 1 and 2 already on the way so lets hope this helps..Im learning heaps of stuff from the forums alone so thanks guys. Great topics !!!!

oz

Welcome Ozfireblade,

Thanks for joining up to the forum.

At all our Phillip Island Ride Day events a Superbike School coach runs a "First Timers Program". Part of this program is an off-track drill from the level 1 course. It's short, but very effective, and actually covers the point you have in question. You'll get an intro to the coach running the program at the riders briefing, and they'll take care of you from there.

By the time you finish the actual level 1 course, you'll know exactly what the steering process involves. Come say hi at the track so I have a face for the name :)

Cheers

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the welcome look forward to saying hi on the 21st.

Hey Oz,

When you get done with the school, let us know how it went.

best,

CF