Going Fast?

stuman

Here's a topic, discuss..... :)

To go fast do you need skill or courage or both?

Can you go really fast with skill alone? Courage Alone?

...what a loaded question - but I'll bite. I say BOTH!

Rainman

Is courage a learned skill?

Hmm, interesting. Of course you need skill but we, being people who like speed, pretty much define skill as fast. Technique, form, seems to have some pretty dramatic variations amongst fast riders but we wouldn't deny their riding ability if they're going fast and winning.

But, to get to that level... ah that takes courage.

Well I think courage is when you do something your scared or fearful of. So if you have the skill and you dont get scared then I"d say skilled, but to do something new on a new bike that might go pear shaped then I'd say courage! But if your a squid like me than it a big set of balls all the way!!!

No matter how much skill you have there is still the possibility that something could go wrong, and if it does...

Even the best fall down. Does it take courage to go out there knowing there is the possibility that you could fall down and hurt yourself?

Does it take courage to slide the rear wheel on the exit of a corner knowing that if it slides just a little too much it might not come back?

Or is it purely a matter of skill, knwoing that if you do the right thing it will come back?

I would have to say skill. If you have the skills (and confidence in your skills) then you can have complete trust that you aren't going to go down unless something unexpected happens. On the motocross track something unexpected can be happening behind the biggest jump on the track and I'd never know until I got there. However, I never think about it until it happens either. It doesn't require any courage if you don't think about what "could" happen.

Of course you need to understand something bad could happen anytime you get on the track and be ready for it. I can guarantee you the fastest guys on the track are ONLY thinking about what they are doing and what the traffic is doing around them at any speed. Not what the consequences might be. I think thats the only way they can go as fast as they do.

I would never call myself courageous with a motorcycle, race car or other item which is inately better than my skill level. So, in short I need skill. With learned skills I have become a better rider and will continue to improve. Stoney and Pete really helped me this summer improve by understanding of what I thought was impossible was achievable in the next session. I didn't have to muster courage in knowing that the skills I am learning guided the proper way to achieve the task. I may learn slowly with this tact but I'll always be confident through the next corner.

I still have a long way to go and its the skill that will get me there. Skill is never wrong, courage can lead to disaster.

Here's a topic, discuss..... :)

To go fast do you need skill or courage or both?

Can you go really fast with skill alone? Courage Alone?

Like Kevin says...what a loaded question..

Even Rossi cannot go fast with my nighthawk 250, he has both skill and courage;

we need your bike too :lol: