Helmets--how Well Do You See Out Of Yours?

Something we have noticed is riders having problems seeing out of their helmets--normally the helmet sits too low on the head, and when they are trying to see forward (particularly when getting lower on the bike), can't see far enough ahead.

Have any of you experienced this?

CF

when they are trying to see forward (particularly when getting lower on the bike), can't see far enough ahead. Have any of you experienced this?

Cobie;

I did with my AGV Helmet but once I switched to Suomy I could see up the track as far as I needed. When you can't see far enough it forces you to sit up more and really defeats the purpose of minimizing your profile;

GOOD TOPIC!

Rainman

Here is what we have noticed: riders getting down on the bike in particular, can sometimes not see out the top of their helmet, and adopt a weird and contorted position to try and look up (often twisting their head sideways to ahieve this). Hard on the neck and spine.

I personally have had the problem of being able to see enough out hte top of the helmet, and have added multiple layers of foam to pick the helmet up on my head. Other coaches have done this also. Anyone ever notice what Rossi's helmet looks like on his head?

CF

I have a SHOEI XR 1000, and started to find that my helmet would move when looking through corners, making me move more upright to be able to see. I found that older the helmet insert the more it compacts, especially the cheek insert, so I repalced them and the movement has ceased.

I have a SHOEI XR 1000, and started to find that my helmet would move when looking through corners, making me move more upright to be able to see. I found that older the helmet insert the more it compacts, especially the cheek insert, so I repalced them and the movement has ceased.

I know that KBC has replacment pads, I think some/most of the other manufacturers do too.

CF

Anyone ever notice what Rossi's helmet looks like on his head?

Shot this photo of him at qualifying a few weeks ago here in Indy. It looks like he's staring at a spot 6' in front of the bike, so he's got to be looking upwards. I find that hard to do since I wear glasses now, which is probably why I tend to sit up too much.

rossi.jpg

I find that hard to do since I wear glasses now, which is probably why I tend to sit up too much.

Stevo,

No question glasses make it harder to see up the track; it was the main reason I went back to wearing contacts...now if I can only find a way to make the helmet venting not dry out the lenses...

Rainman

Enlightening thread. Now that you mention it I think I do need something to make it sit higher on my head so I can see further forward.

I can't really get too far on the tank on a straight because the helmet (Shoei) always pushes in on my face, and gives the top of my vision a visor effect that I can't see past. I'm getting an Arai Samurai when my wife graduates. Arai did me right. I got the Shoei because of the Picotte design. They have some really good designs on the Shoei helmets.

Do the Shoei's and Arai's have removable liners that you can put foam underneath?

Arai's do.

Right. I experimented over the weekend with some guys and we added some foam at the top so they could see better out of the helmet, the guys were very pleased with this, and the liners are very simple to pull out, put back.

• 2 weeks later...
In my life long quest to be more like Pete, I purchased a KBC to replace the Shoei. I did the same and installed a small foam pad on the top to improve my view up the course.

How did it work out?

Cf

Something we have noticed is riders having problems seeing out of their helmets--normally the helmet sits too low on the head, and when they are trying to see forward (particularly when getting lower on the bike), can't see far enough ahead.

CF

Yep! I have a couple of AGV XR-2s that I loved for riding on the street, but the first time I took 'em to the track, I had problems with them dropping forward/down just a bit as I tried to turn my head. Not a huge problem, but an annoyance.

I tried a Shoei TZR that worked better, but it got smushed in my off in September, so now I have two Shoei RF-1ks for the track. So far I'm quite happy with them fit-wise.

CF

Yep! I have a couple of AGV XR-2s that I loved for riding on the street, but the first time I took 'em to the track, I had problems with them dropping forward/down just a bit as I tried to turn my head. Not a huge problem, but an annoyance.

I tried a Shoei TZR that worked better, but it got smushed in my off in September, so now I have two Shoei RF-1ks for the track. So far I'm quite happy with them fit-wise.

At a recent school, I took some foam and some scissors, and a number of my students adjusted their helmets--mostly to get a better fit so they could see out the top though.

CF

At a recent school, I took some foam and some scissors, and a number of my students adjusted their helmets--mostly to get a better fit so they could see out the top though.

CF

I really like that idea! I may have to play around with it to see if I can't get the AGVs to sit a little better. A little extra thickness at the top would certainly prevent the lid from 'dipping' down, as it were. They're good as-is for the street, but it'd be nice to have them as backups for the track, too. And if the Shoeis break-in more than I'm expecting them to do, I'll definitely be having craft time.

Any particular type of foam that you used?

In my life long quest to be more like Pete, I purchased a KBC to replace the Shoei. I did the same and installed a small foam pad on the top to improve my view up the course.

How did it work out?

Cf

Getting better. Practicing my hook turn is the best way for me to evaluate the position of the helmet. What I thought was a good view was not so much during this technique. A bit larger piece of foam this weekend should do the trick. I'll get a second opinion when in Vegas for the two day camp.

How did it work out?

Cf

Getting better. Practicing my hook turn is the best way for me to evaluate the position of the helmet. What I thought was a good view was not so much during this technique. A bit larger piece of foam this weekend should do the trick. I'll get a second opinion when in Vegas for the two day camp.

Hey Jody--I'm assuming you are talking about the one later in Nov? (we just got back from Vegas last night...). Anyway, if so, I've got some foam there, we fixed up another helmet yesterday, worked really well student was blown away at the difference, and he's done a lot of schools, getting pretty darn fast too.

Come look me up in the am when you get there.

CF

Yes, but the foam that you suggested to put inside really helped. I placed two layers of it and it's fine now. I think my helmet size is not right for me. I have a scorpion exo-1000 (Large). I put on an Arai medium one time when I was window shopping and it was perfect. So I think it's the size of my helmet.

Cobie;

Having smacked more than one Helmet on the track the question I have is does the extra foam installed inside change the position of the helmet on your head? I found some real comfort in the way my Suomys protected my bouncing head (at least I think it did) in my get offs so that would be a concern. Having said that, there is no question that at full tuck it is hard to see way up the track without turning my head sideways.

Rainman

Yes, but the foam that you suggested to put inside really helped. I placed two layers of it and it's fine now. I think my helmet size is not right for me. I have a scorpion exo-1000 (Large). I put on an Arai medium one time when I was window shopping and it was perfect. So I think it's the size of my helmet.

Yeah, that sounds like the wrong size.

Some of the helmets use the same size shell, but change the interior pads for the helmet. In some models of the KBC, I think it was Large and XL, were one shell, and Small and Medium were another size shell, but different pads in the inside. Don't know about the scorpion, but might be worth checking, or just have to save up for a new lid! :)

CF